Options

Replies

• kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    The past week and a half or so I have not been sleeping well either, averaging about five and half hours a night. The last couple days my workouts have not been great because of this.

Normally, on Tuesdays and Thursdays I run 35ish minutes, bike 30 minutes to an hour, and have krav for an hour. Saturdays I run for 35ish minutes, have boxing for an hour, and have krav for an hour. This Tuesday I cut biking. Yesterday I cut running and kept my ride to just over half an hour. I knew is want going to be seeing any PRs but still wanted to make sure I got out there. This is a reminder fold self care. I cut myself a break. However, I know there are going to be days where I don't feel like doing it for no good reason. Those are the days where I may have to tell myself, "just ten minutes. All you will have lost is ten minutes and a couple extra calories." I know on those days the exercise will actually hello my miss, but I need to set the habits now.

However I don't want to continue this cycle of being exhausted all the time, and I certainly don't want to keep exercising in that state. That leads to diminishing returns, hating the sports, and possibly injury. Luckily I know what's causing the issue. I was on a one time use medication that had a possible side effect of insomnia. It didn't hit me too bad and while on it I was averaging 7 hours a night. I'm someone who runs well on 7-8 hours. I also just restarted a recurring medication with the same side effect. In the past I didn't really notice too much of a change of at all, but this time I think both medications compounded. Under doctor supervision, I am stopping the one time use medication 5 days early. I'm also making my Saturday workouts contingent on getting enough sleep and I'm taking a chill day today.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    kzzr wrote: »

These look so good!
  • cindyxterra
    cindyxterra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I recently retired and have moved. I am focusing on self care. Eating better. a little exercise. Vitamins.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Had a blissful 24 hours - hung out with friends on a boat, slept on the boat and went to an island on a lake. Ran a 5K race there with my friends and soaked up tons of sun. Really felt rejuvenated when I returned. You can pack a lot in 24 hour period.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    Saw a friend from out of state who called at 9:30 AM “I’m in the area!” Met her halfway,12:15-4:45!! Brought pads & art materials, and we sketched & chatted & shared two warm hugs!
    So. Great! ❤️
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join? I recently retired and have moved. I am focusing on self care. Eating better. a little exercise. Vitamins.

Just post anytime. Let us know what you’re doing. It’s nice to read about different self care strategies. We can learn from you, too.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Sketched faces for awhile before bed...fun :)
    Just playing :))))
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    On Sunday mornings after breakfast I take my coffee and read the paper. I only subscribe to the Sunday paper and online.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    More sketching! Faces & figures! Taking it slowly & enjoying...

A warm bath tomorrow night ~with candles & some music 🎶
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    Options
    I've been rather time poor for commenting with semester starting. (I work as a volunteer group Leader for a lifelong learning charity, U3A: University of the Third Age. Volunteering for them is one of my self-care activities. Life-long learning improves the standard of life tremendously by keeping the brain/body active)
    Still taking time out each day to soothe the soul.
    Saturday: We went to a Bird Observatory on a nearby island. The peace and tranquility was wonderful.
    Sunday: We spent time chatting with my daughter and her 2 boys. This is a regular Sunday afternoon visit.
    Monday am: 2 hour Creative Writing Group. The themes were 'Serendipity' and 'Radiance'.
    These are the two poems I wrote to be read during the session.

Serendipity

walk absent-minded
    sudden smiling blue pools glimpsed
    settle destiny

Radiance

Silence rings in my ears.
    Shimmering sea disappears
    to where the sky dips to caress
    the rippling waves in gentleness.

Far away the mainland hills
    clothed with verdant wooded frills
    nestle in the morning haze
    before it melts in sunlight’s blaze.

Body, spirit, mind align,
    soothed by nature so divine.
    Soul sings with joy to behold
    the Copeland panoply unfold.

© 2018 Terri Richardson

Monday pm: 2 hour painting session with my Monday Painters. I painted a small landscape in acrylics.
    Monday evening: Library Poetry Group.
    Today I am going to my Patchwork Group to plan a new project.

Being retired is full of wonderful opportunities to nurture the soul.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Being retired sounds wonderful!! I've made a few small deposits to my retirement fund since I started posting in this challenge.

Today I went for a 7.5 km walk, then I was doing errands down the street, and I decided I'd treat myself to a visit to a new café.

I had a large almond milk coffee and a pear and blueberry slice with cream. It was delicious!
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @Orphia, that sounds wonderful! You’re in Australia, right? So pears are in season? I never cared about pears until I went to Washington state one September and pears were offered at breakfast. I’d never imagined fruit could taste that divine. They are just now coming to our markets. One sweet pear can do so much!
  • Orphia
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @Orphia, that sounds wonderful! You’re in Australia, right? So pears are in season? I never cared about pears until I went to Washington state one September and pears were offered at breakfast. I’d never imagined fruit could taste that divine. They are just now coming to our markets. One sweet pear can do so much!

@donimfp Yes, pears and blueberries are in season. I've been eating them both fresh too.

Pears are an investment. You buy them green, then need to wait at least a week before they're ripe enough to eat. Sooo worth the wait, though!

I've been having blueberries with my morning plain Greek yoghurt.

A weird thing is that I didn't eat enough fruit when I was overweight. Now my body craves lots of fruit and veg.

Still get my daily intake of chocolate though! :smiley:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,091 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I buy pears green, but then I sometimes let them sit too long, and they go mushy, which I do not like. Lol! Love fresh blueberries with my morning porridge. I'm with you on the chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. Mmmmmm....
  • Orphia
    Options
    @Orphia I buy pears green, but then I sometimes let them sit too long, and they go mushy, which I do not like. Lol! Love fresh blueberries with my morning porridge. I'm with you on the chocolate. Especially dark chocolate. Mmmmmm....

Hahaha, yes, like avocados, pears can go from too green to over-ripe seemingly in moments.
  • Orphia
    Options
    I'm really happy today.

I finished doing lots of "one-line drawings" of faces, and put 4 in a frame, then 4 in another frame.

Then I entered them in our local Art Show, or rather I submitted the entry form and paid the entry fees, and will deliver them closer to the show.

I sent my artist son pictures of them, and he said they were "amazing" and that he wants one! That made my day.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @Orphia, the art sounds wonderful.

On the pears, I’ve learned that once they “give” at all up by the stem, it’s time to go for it, even if the rest feels pretty firm. Otherwise they’re quickly past the point of no return. Same with avocados. To my shame I had to toss an overripe one today. I hate wasting food.

Same here with fruit. After I read French Women Don’t Get Fat I purposely started eating much, much more of it. And it seems the more I eat the faster the weight drops off. And now I’m addicted! I recently froze s ton of peaches to see me through the winter.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    This week had been really rough. I have been having a hard time this month and there has been a lot of negative self talk. I have been trying to do little things to slowly crawl my way out. I made a doctor's appointment that I've needed so that's a positive thing o have a big stack of new recipes to try. The weather finally changed over and it coincided with the first day of fall (dang mother nature, you're awesome).

I am dog sitting right now for someone who had a lot of land so this afternoon I'm going to find two good trees and practice putting up my camping hammock. I need to perfect my angles. Tomorrow my husband and I are going apple picking. I'm hoping to make at least two apple pies in the near future. I'm also looking forward to a baby shower coming that I get to go to in Ohio. I get to see a good friend again as well as travel a little.