MAINTAINERS Introduce Yourselves!

Options

Replies

• crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hey! My name is Cathy

Before & after weight: Started at 252 lbs. Current weight: 122 lbs

Start & goal reached date: Started when I was 24 years old(January of 2011). I hit my goal weight May of 2012(25 years old)

Best strategy for removing weight: Exercise, healthier choices, portion control, moderation and substitution. Find a form of exercise that you absolutely love! And change things up to keep your routine fresh(keep that boredom far away!).

Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Same as above.

Just a suggestion...any inputs?

I don't stress over food. I eat what I want when I want. I follow portion control and moderate how often I have guilty pleasures. Although I am a clean eater about 90% of the time, I don't stress over that 10% when I had that piece of cake or donut. I don't feel the need to go harder at the gym the next day because I ate something a little different. I exercise to nourish and reward my body, not to punish it. It's all about finding a program that can be maintained for life :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Hooray for maintainers!

SW: 124ish (Jan 2012)/GW:115 ( I am only 5 ft tall)
    CW: 100 (lost a little extra weight recently due to unexpected illness. Wanting to maintain around 105)

Initial goal was 115 because that was where I had been most of my adult life, but once I reached there I kept losing and felt good. My ideal weight is between 105-110, I think. Best strategy for losing weight was simply counting calories and exercising. I lost extra weight past my goal while training for a marathon.

I have Crohn's disease and am currently in a flare which has caused me to drop additional weight below my goal. I am struggling to find the balance of food and exercise that will help me maintain my current level of fitness and maybe put on a few pounds, but not too much. Currently taking prednisone (steroids) which is making all of this even more difficult to figure out! Just hoping to get through this flare feeling good!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Age 55 6' tall

Before & after weight 177 lbs. (with a gut) and 157 lbs. (without a gut)

Start & goal reached date Jan. 11 '13 and July 15, '13

Best strategy for removing weight Finally relaizing calorie counts for the food I ate. Started portion control and cut down on desserts.

Current strategy for maintaining the weight Continued logging and reading more labels while shopping.
  • bipsqueen
    bipsqueen Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    SW: 179
    CW 117
    GW 125

Started: 6-25-10
    GW: approx 11/12

I limited sugar and carbs to lose weight, I followed the book, Jorge Cruise, the belly fat cure. Now I just watch my daily calorie intake and keep it within the limits set by MFP and fitbit. I do still keep a close eye on the sugar and avoid it whenever possible.
    I lost more weight than intended, but like others, it felt right and I feel great. I have become a runner (which I wasn't even as a child!). I walk and run to help maintain my weight and to live a healthy lifestyle.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    3 yrs ago went from 188-168
    56 yrs old now weigh 169 but I am in better shape than in my 40s..
    I was down to 165 but felt too thin..
    I do pump, spin and push ups...

I recently changed name in mfp but have been on site for about a year.. Log daily and eat all my exercise calories
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Before & after weight: Before 223.5lbs (15st 13.5lbs) After 150.5lbs (10st 10.5lbs)
    Start & goal reached date : Started 28th Aug 12 Reached 24th Dec 12
    Best strategy for removing weight: I upped the exercise, mainly due to having to cycle to work daily (16mile) and eating sensibly
    Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Taken up running to keep the weight off, watch what I eat but also allow myself to eat what I fancy. I have given myself a range of 6lbs, if at any given point my weight has increased more then I need to alter things to get it back down.

Mentally I still see the chubby me but hey that takes a while. I'm currently 152.5lbs (10st 12.5lbs)
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    YAY! With so many successful MFPers this new area is definitely needed. How about posting a before & after photo along with:

Start & goal reached date
    Best strategy for removing weight
    Current strategy for maintaining the weight

Hi all,

Before weight: 140
    After weight: 124-126 ish. I like to sit anywhere in there.
    Start date: January 2011
    Goal reached date: May 2012
    Best strategy for removing weight: crossfit. I counted calories, did a lot of HIIT and heavy lifting. I saw a bigger improvement in my body in the 6 months I did crossfit than the year I did just cardio.
    Current strategy for maintaining: I still count calories albeit pretty loosely. I do weigh myself fairly often and when I see anything over 126 I know it's time to reign it in a bit and eat a little better. It's become a lot easier over the past year.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    SW: 210 lbs CW: 160 lbs (5'11")

Took it slow and steady over 2 years.

Started with an elliptical and a recumbent bike (30 minutes to an hour) 3 x a week. The recumbent is set up in front of the XBox 360. On the elliptical, I read my Kindle.

Had a PT for a couple of months who set me up with strength training (weights) 3 days / week for 30 minutes followed by 30 minutes of cardio (I chose elliptical), and then 2 days / week of 60 minutes cardio. That worked well to drop pounds.

Now, I bike commute to work 8 miles each way, I still lift weights at the gym, but not very seriously. I enjoy swimming. I've signed up for my first half marathon and am training for that. I like the Zombies, Run! iPhone app for running, as well as Runtastic for tracking my bike rides. There are many other good apps, like Endomondo, RunKeeper, iSmoothRun, and Gipis, to name a few.

The best advice I can give is to eat right, track your food to help control portion sizes, find something fun to do, and make small goals along the way. I bought new shoes for running (as they recommend). I bought new clothes as I lost sizes, workout clothes included. Some clothes I got at Goodwill, you don't have to spend a lot of money.

I've tried P90X awhile back but didn't stick with it for longer than 2 weeks. After my October race, I may pick it up again. Overall, have fun and enjoy your new, healthier life! :drinker:
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    SW: 200 (6' 1")
    CW: 165 - 168

Start and end is a little tricky because I initially did this 5 1/2 years ago. I was 200lbs and started tracking my food (pre-MFP days 8) ) and was very successful with it. At the time my goal was 170 - 175 which I hit about 5 years ago. I kept that off until last year when I stopped running regularly after injuring myself doing Insanity. Over the course of the year I let my weight creep back up until I was 190 in November. I was annoyed with myself, got back on the wagon and started running heavily again. By the time I ran the Disney Marathon in January (on my birthday!) I was already back to my 175 weight and that's when I decided I would go a little further this time and took my weight all the way down to you 165. I've been here since March and have since been working on BF% and strength in addition to my triathlon training.

As for my strategy for getting & keeping it off? Eat less/exercise more.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options

Before & after weight:
    SW: 255
    CW: 180
    I'm 5'11

Start & goal reached date: Jan 2012/May 2013

Best strategy for removing weight:

* Focus on fat loss and losing inches, not the number on the scale.
    * I made sure everything I did was something I could maintain for the rest of my life.
    * Lift heavier weights. Too many pluses to mention.
    * For me going at this alone and reading forums worked out much better than having a weight loss partner.
    * Don't restrict foods. Instead watch portions and cook alternatives at home.
    * Going out to eat for a relaxed meal once a week. It gave me something to look forward to!

Current strategy for maintaining the weight:

* Continue logging everything I eat and drink.
    * Continue watching the portion sizes.
    * Continue working out and being active 6 - 7 days per week.

I've tried losing weight many times and I have never been successful. I'm so darn proud of myself for getting to this point and doing it all on my own without a gym membership or buying a diet plan etc.!
  • crayonbreakywillow
    crayonbreakywillow Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Age 37

Before & after weight
    SW: 230
    CW: 136
    Female, 5'6

Start & goal reached date Started June 20, 2012/Goal Reached July 2013

Best strategy for removing weight: Log faithfully. Don't take breaks and make excuses. Plan ahead for events involving food. Don't deprive yourself of things you love. Everything in moderation. I exercised, but not excessively. Started out with Wii Fit, sporadically did some walking/running and a bit of weights/elliptical. Did treadmill 3 times a week over the winter, and now take walks 3-4 times a week. Weigh in once a week.

Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Just started maintenance a couple weeks ago. Still trying to figure it out. Started myself off at calories set for sedentary and don't eat back exercise calories. Currently set at 1650. Going to see if I maintain or continue to lose and will adjust accordingly. Hoping I am able to up my calories a bit to maintain, but I'm happy at 1650. Lost the majority of my weight on 1200, then bumped up to 1450 and continued to lose. Continuing to walk 3-4 times a week, and just bought a bicycle. Looking forward to riding that! Still weigh in once a week, and will continue to log my food for life!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Finally!

Ht: 5'-6"
    SW: 175 January 2013
    GW: 140 reached June 2013
    CW: 132 (<<trying to up this and stabilize)

Strategy for removing weight
    Started exercising for the first time since my 20s. Diligent use of Jillian Michaels dvds 5-6 days per week. Religiously logged every bite on MFP and targeted a 1300+/- calorie limit. Reduced intake of adult beverages and eliminated almost all processed sugars and grains. Developed an eating routine that I think can be maintained through maintenance.

Strategy for maintaining weight
    Still a work in progress. I have continued to lose weight even though I have upped my calorie goal to about 1650 and have loosened up on other macros, except sodium. I have switched to yoga for my daily work-out and in fact, have not done any exercise this week to see if that will stop the continuing weight loss. Will be looking for some maintenance guidelines from this forum going forward.

[img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r717/geralynhoerauf/Weight Loss/aa43136d-0eec-41c4-9da2-5ef4a4bfec1d_zps510d0869.jpg[/img][img]http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r717/geralynhoerauf/Weight Loss/9b6bb0ae-c9ed-4e3a-b647-40263b26356e_zpsa5af4105.jpg[/img]
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Wooo!!!

Ht: 5'4"
    SW: 170 January 2012
    CW: 130-133 since Oct 2012

Strategy for weight loss: Everything. Started as 1200 cal + Jillian Michaels DVDs, moved into hours on the elliptical, finally broke and realized I needed to eat more, ate about 1600 cal while lifting heavy and running.

Strategy to maintain: I just eat back all my exercise cals now. If I do nothing all day (i.e. Netflix on the couch) I'll burn about 1630 cal, so I stick w/ 1600 as my base and then just stay active and eat according to my FitBit. I'm training for a half-marathon right now, but I'm always looking for new ways to stay active. :)
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Height: 5 ft
    Before: 113 (March 2013)
    After: 100 (May 2013)

Best strategy for removing weight: I was actually more concerned with fat loss and overall fitness. I did the Les Mills Combat program for 60 days, and initially followed their nutrition guide but the "rounding down" of calories always had me at 1200. I was hungry, angry, and tired most of the time. Then I started logging into MFP as a guide and watched my calorie intake--and realized that things like fudgesicles were okay to eat if they were in my macros.

Current strategy for maintaining the weight: Looking for and finding other programs that I like and realizing that my best time to workout is at 5:30 a.m. in the morning. Also, I started Stronglifts 5x5 about 1 1/2 months ago and have actually started to see inches off of waist and hips. I continue to log in as well--it has kept me honest about what I put in my body and keeps me making better choices. I also realized that if I plan a week's worth of dinner on Sunday, shop for it, and do food planning and prep, we end up eating healthier meals.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm 35. Not really sure if I have a before and after weight because I've pretty much always been on maintenance. In the past my weight fluctuated slightly with pregnancies, but I lost the weight easily from resuming my usual way of eating and being active. I'd say I lost around 5-10 pounds over a year ago. But, I went down from a size 4 to a 00. Best strategies have been nutritious food, meeting my protein requirements (one gram per pound of LBM), counting calories on mfp, lifting weights/strength training and my usual lifestyle as a dancer. I've never been on a low calorie diet. I've always eaten at maintenance (above the projected guidelines for my size and activity level). To lose I would eat 100 calories less per day and get serious about my fitness. I'm 5'2".
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    5'2"
    120 since March fluctuating to 118

Let's see. After having my baby 1yr ago I was inactive up until the end of Feb this year and started lifting 1st of March. I've been at it ever since. In April I started Intermittent Fasting and chose Leangains. I try to follow it as much as possible whenever possible and that has yielded great results for me in such short time. Lately, I'm not following the nutrition aspect as much, but I'm still fasting at least 14/10 or 16/8 sometimes longer. I do the IIFYM and eat tortillas daily. I'm still kinda fat for my personal preference, but at least happy for slow composition changes. I do have baggage in the front, but hey, patience is key and someday will get that tummy tuck!
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    YAY! With so many successful MFPers this new area is definitely needed. How about posting a before & after photo along with:

56 years old
    SW 176 lbs.
    CW 130 lbs.
    LW 120 lbs.
    Height 5' 3.5"
    Start date: June 2010
    Reached goal: March 2011 but continued to lose more while figuring out daily maintenance calorie goal

My strategy for losing: determine TDEE using Scooby Calculator, eat at a level to support 1/2 pound loss per week, exercise 6 days per week. LOG all food, the good, bad, and the ugly! Cut alcohol to only two drinks per week. Hit my daily macros.

My strategy for maintaining: determine TDEE using Scooby Calculator, eat at TDEE level, exercise 6 days per week. LOG all food. One alcoholic drink per day MAX allowed. Hit my daily macros.

I maintained for 2 1/2 years before gaining 10 pounds a few months ago. Many factors contributed to the gain such as traveling constantly, little control over nutrition (restaurants, fixed meals), and FAILURE TO LOG. Yep, the "not logging" experiment ended badly.

I also started the Stonglifts 5x5 program and training for a 6-day cycling tour that required me to fuel my body. Er, perhaps a little too much. I now find myself in a caloric deficit of 1700 calories per day and have set my goal at 125 pounds. This is more than my original maintenance weight but I've got a lot more muscle and I'm still rocking my clothes despite the weight gain.

More than anything, one must realize that maintenance is not static or linear. There are always ups and downs, adjustments to be made. And yes, it's more difficult than losing.
  • RipperSB
    RipperSB Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Before Weight: 205 After Weight: Initially 145 but seemed to have settled down to 142
    Start Date: Feb 2012 Goal Reached: Oct 2012 - 243 Days to 145 lbs then fluctuateded for a while until Mar 2013 when it settled down to 142 lbs.
    Strategy for Losing: Following the MFP plan. Exercising & logging daily; controlling portions.
    Strategy for Maintaining: Dancing with who brought me - Exercising & logging daily; controlling portions.

Only have face pics:

Before: Actually a year before I started, not exactly sure what I weighed.

Xmas2011.jpg

After: At Walt Disney World Jan 2013

Disney3.jpg

Here's the chart of the weight loss:

Progress.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Start weight 140lbs, got down to 122lbs for my wedding June 2012 am now 130something, but the same size as I was at 122. I'm doing insanity which sends the scales crazy so I don't weigh very often any more. I go by how I look...
    Strategy for losing weight, eat less move more
    Strategy for maintaining, eat lots, work hard!
  • MrsDangerousCurves
    MrsDangerousCurves Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Age 27
    Before & after weight - before 174, after 135
    Start & goal reached date - Started Nov 2012, reached my goal July 2013
    Best strategy for removing weight - Following MFP or JUDDD
    Current strategy for maintaining the weight - 5:2