Increase fiber intake without increasing carbs?

Options
So I'm not. Getting enough fiber and I know it, sometimes painfully.. I need to know how to increase my fiber levels without increasing my carbs. I've looked at fiber supplements and they have a few carbs if not more in them. Any other way?

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a subset of carbs, just like sugar is. So it would be the same as asking how to get more sugar in your diet without more carbs.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk?
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    FireVixen_Fayth Posts: 154 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So basically I can't then? Unless this psyllium husk is the key.

Edit nope, it has 8g. I would be better off with fiber powder.
  • loveisapineapple
    loveisapineapple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do you do net carbs? Avocado is 1.8 gm net carbs per 100 gm (approx), and I'd venture much tastier than psyllium husks or fibre powder.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    Options
    I don't think mfp tracks net carbs so no.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, celery
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Fibrous vegetables are probably your best bang for your buck. Still carbs, but that's because fibre is a carb. Things like spinach, kale, chard, leeks, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, etc.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    Options
    Ah alright. Why doesn't mfp do this then?
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    It's been explained in a lot of different threads, but basically because some countries already have net carbs listed and it would screw that up if it was programmed into the app to subtract fiber from carbs. It is actually very easy to subtract fiber grams from carb grams. It just takes a few seconds.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    Options
    Alright thy makes sense. Thank you all
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The problem is I don't want to go above 20g of carbs at all and that doesn't leave much room to get the amount of fiber I should.

20g seems very low even for keto. The UK limit for T2 diabetics on a low carb diet is 30g a day, and even thats's only for twelve weeks initially. If there's no medical reason for having only 20g a day maybe you could consider raising your carb intake slightly, which would naturally add a bit more fibre to your diet.
  • FireVixen_Fayth
    Options
    I run everything by my nutritionist and pcp before doing anything and they told me it's okay so I dunno.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    So I'm not. Getting enough fiber and I know it, sometimes painfully.. I need to know how to increase my fiber levels without increasing my carbs. I've looked at fiber supplements and they have a few carbs if not more in them. Any other way?

Exchange high fiber foods for low fiber foods but keep your carbs at whatever your macro is set to.

Eat more legumes, that is usually a great way to get fiber in.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I run everything by my nutritionist and pcp before doing anything and they told me it's okay so I dunno.

I'd ditch the nutritionist and find a dietician instead as they are much more highly qualified unless of course your nutritionist actually has uni qualifications.

Registered Dietitians are now being offered the option of using either "RD" or "RDN" these days upon being accredited. RDN stands for Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and frequently shorten it to Nutritionist. Same accreditation, different way to designate it. Can make things a bit more confusing because every RD is a nutritionist but not every nutritionist is an RD.

When seeking out an expert for nutritional advice, look for the Registered part. Since it appears to have been a referral from OP's pcp my guess is that this is someone registered