Looking for more friends and some advice.

Options
I’ve been doing this for about a month now and have lost about 15 pounds but something I’m noticing is that I’m losing some muscle. I eat about 100-115 g of protein a day and hit the gym 3-4 times a week for about an hour (though a little less this last week as we’ve had some high humidity that seriously effect my asthma.) I was just wondering if anyone else experienced slight muscle loss while aiming to do loss and wanted to know what you did/if there’s anything I can do to stop it?

Replies

• scaye103092
    scaye103092 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Holy typos lol note to self: don’t workout and type at the same time!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal to lose a bit of lean mass along with fat when you lose weight, but the ratio is going to be more towards lean mass if you're in an aggressive calorie deficit. 15 pounds in a month is 3 pounds per week and above MFP's recommended rate; some of it would ahve been water/waste, but still. Oh, yes - to stop the unnecessary muscle loss, you have to eat more.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing this for about a month now and have lost about 15 pounds but something I’m noticing is that I’m losing some muscle. I eat about 100-115 g of protein a day and hit the gym 3-4 times a week for about an hour (though a little less this last week as we’ve had some high humidity that seriously effect my asthma.) I was just wondering if anyone else experienced slight muscle loss while aiming to do loss and wanted to know what you did/if there’s anything I can do to stop it?

How are you noticing muscle loss?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    It's a danger with an excessive calorie deficit - have you really lost 15bs in 4 weeks?

If you are using a BIA device then I beware confusing lean mass with muscle mass. While muscle is lean mass it's only a part of it.
  • scaye103092
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's a danger with an excessive calorie deficit - have you really lost 15bs in 4 weeks?

If you are using a BIA device then I beware confusing lean mass with muscle mass. While muscle is lean mass it's only a part of it.

What is a BIA device exactly? I’ve only been counting my calorie deficit by measuring every single thing I eat and measuring loss of muscle by what I can lift at the gym.
  • scaye103092
    Options

I generally just go by what I can notice I can lift at the gym and how long I can lift or how many sets I can do at a specific weight.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I generally just go by what I can notice I can lift at the gym and how long I can lift or how many sets I can do at a specific weight.

the fact that your in a large enough deficit to lose 3lb per week will account for that i would imagine, though you will always lose some muscle when losing weight.
  • sijomial
    Options

What is a BIA device exactly? I’ve only been counting my calorie deficit by measuring every single thing I eat and measuring loss of muscle by what I can lift at the gym.

BIA = those scales that send an small electrical current through your body and try to interpret resistance as various types of body issue (often very inaccurately).

You aren't measuring muscle mass you are measuring strength (which is only loosely related to muscle mass) , conditioning and fatigue levels.
    If you are losing strength then that's a very clear sign you have an excessive deficit.
  • scaye103092
    Options

the fact that your in a large enough deficit to lose 3lb per week will account for that i would imagine, though you will always lose some muscle when losing weight.

For the most part it hasn’t been unintentionally such a large deficit. My maintenance goal is 2400 cal a day . I am trying to lose 2/wk but only because before this I ate very horribly and kind of erratic. My would generally starve myself (unintentionallty) for a good 75% of my day only eating chips at work (I work at a drug store) and then a very large meal of probably around 2000 calories when I got home. But now that I eat regularly and cut out most processed foods I have noticed my appetite has shrunk. I do hit my protein intake daily but I still struggle to hit my goal caloric intake. I eat chicken/peanut butter/egg whites daily along with a protein shake. Thank you for letting me know muscle mass is bound to decrease as well. I’m going to try to do more of a 50/50 with cardio and weight training to prevent that. I have a good amount of muscle despite being considered overweight but I don’t want to lose muscle. My height indicates I should weight ~115 but my legs are almost pure muscle. I am not disproportionate but I carry fat MOSTLY in my upper body.

• sijomial
    edited September 2018
    Options

The bold isn't at all universal, many people (especially those overweight, under trained/new to exercise and have a sensible deficit) are entirely likely to be able to add some muscle mass.
    If someone is already quite lean, already training to a high level, has an advanced physique then yes it's far more likely the danger of losing mass becomes reality.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

For the most part it hasn’t been unintentionally such a large deficit. My maintenance goal is 2400 cal a day . I am trying to lose 2/wk but only because before this I ate very horribly and kind of erratic. My would generally starve myself (unintentionallty) for a good 75% of my day only eating chips at work (I work at a drug store) and then a very large meal of probably around 2000 calories when I got home. But now that I eat regularly and cut out most processed foods I have noticed my appetite has shrunk. I do hit my protein intake daily but I still struggle to hit my goal caloric intake. I eat chicken/peanut butter/egg whites daily along with a protein shake. Thank you for letting me know muscle mass is bound to decrease as well. I’m going to try to do more of a 50/50 with cardio and weight training to prevent that. I have a good amount of muscle despite being considered overweight but I don’t want to lose muscle. My height indicates I should weight ~115 but my legs are almost pure muscle. I am not disproportionate but I carry fat MOSTLY in my upper body.

how much weight do you have to lose, and how many calories are you actually eating currently?
  • scaye103092
    Options

The bold isn't at all universal, many people (especially those overweight, under trained/new to exercise and have a sensible deficit) are entirely likely to add some muscle mass.
    If someone is already quite lean, already training to a high level, has an advanced physique then yes it's far more likely the danger of losing mass becomes reality.

I have a high BMI but at 25 (almost 26) I’ve never had a license or needed one honestly because I’ve always been without .5 miles of the busline and I like walking. I do think I carry more muscle than someone y size generally does because of this. I walk EVERYWHERE in a small town with rolling hills. I’m really trying to lose weight in my upper body. My pant size has only gone up 2 sizes in my 7 years of being ‘over weight’. The lowest I’ve weighed since I was 17 is 145 LB. and even then my peers thought I was too thin. I’m beginning to think I have a strange body type and distribution of fat/muscle.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

now that I eat regularly and cut out most processed foods I have noticed my appetite has shrunk. I do hit my protein intake daily but I still struggle to hit my goal caloric intake. I eat chicken/peanut butter/egg whites daily along with a protein shake.
    If you eat a more balanced and varied diet - a more appealing/appetizing diet - it will be easier to hit your calorie target.
  • mariselaalves
    mariselaalves Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm looking for more friends with great motivation tips. I'm 42 mother of 5. Trying to kick type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,504 Member
    Options

It's good and useful that you've noticed a big danger sign that you're losing weight too fast: Weakened workout performance.

A weight loss of 3 pounds a week on average would be appropriate if you weighed over 300 pounds, with urgent health needs to lose weight, and were under close medical supervision.

If that doesn't describe you, there's a red flashing alarm going off saying that you should be eating more. It may be muscle loss, it may simply be fatigue (the latter if you're lucky).

I don't see where you've told us your current weight, or exactly how much you have to lose. If current weight isn't well over 200 pounds, and you don't have at least 50-75 pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week is too aggressive a weight loss rate to target. If your BMI is not quite 26, and 115 is a rational ultimate goal weight, I'm guessing you're on the shorter side of average, to maybe average, in height, and don't weigh 200 pounds right now or have 75 to lose.

It's fine if you want to switch up your workout routine, but please also eat more. 1% of body weight weekly, and slower as you get within 50 pounds of goal, is a reasonable practical weight loss rate to avoid health risks.

I'm sorry if I sound angry; I'm not. Imagine me as your concerned granny (I'm plenty old enough ;) ): I just want to see you stay strong, healthy and energetic while you achieve your weight goals.

(I accidentally lost around 2 pounds a week when I was in the 150s at 5'5", because MFP underestimated my calorie needs at first. I got weak and fatigued. Even though I corrected as soon as I realized, it still took several weeks to recover. You don't want that, truly.)
  • scaye103092
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't see where you've told us your current weight, or exactly how much you have to lose. If current weight isn't well over 200 pounds, and you don't have at least 50-75 pounds to lose, 2 pounds a week is too aggressive a weight loss rate to target. If your BMI is not quite 26, and 115 is a rational ultimate goal weight, I'm guessing you're on the shorter side of average, to maybe average, in height, and don't weigh 200 pounds right now or have 75 to lose.

I actually do currently weight 200 pounds and started at 217. :neutral: my goal is 145-150 because that’s what I was a few years ago at the smallest I have ever been, and I carry my weight a little differently so smaller than that would look strange for my body type personally. I didn’t intentionally lose 3/wk. It just happened to turn out that way when I started eating properly and exercising. With the foods I eat/like I think I would actually have a very hard time hitting a higher calorie goal to lose less than 2/wk

• scaye103092
    Options
    Also I probably should have added that 25 is my age, not my BMI lol
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    At a 25 BMI you should not be aiming for 2 lbs / wk. Eat more and be patient! The maximum safe loss is 1% of weight per week, and someone who is already healthy weight, which means below 25, should be aiming for more like half a pound.
  • scaye103092
    Options
    At a 25 BMI you should not be aiming for 2 lbs / wk. Eat more and be patient! The maximum safe loss is 1% of weight per week, and someone who is already healthy weight, which means below 25, should be aiming for more like half a pound.

Again, 25 is my age. Not my BMI. My BMI is currently 36....I wouldn’t try to lose weight if my BMI was 25 as that’s my goal weight...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Again, 25 is my age. Not my BMI. My BMI is currently 36....I wouldn’t try to lose weight if my BMI was 25 as that’s my goal weight...

Oops, sorry, I misread!

Do be careful losing more than 2 lbs a week, even if it's unintentional. I was losing at about the same rate you are when I started, and more than a year later still having trouble with all the hair I lost. You won't see hair loss for about six months after the damage is done, so consider yourself lucky that your muscles gave you fair warning.