Has anyone plotted daily intake vs daily gain?

Options
I've started doing that, I want to see what my metabolism is, but I'm just on day 2. If you have done it, how did your number compare to metabolism estimators such as Harris Benedict equation?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    I tracked/compared carefully during weight loss, especially as I neared goal (not daily for the reasons others have cited, but over a period of time).

For reasons I can't explain, my actual calorie requirements are substantially higher than MFP estimates (even when I include exercise), i.e. I can eat hundreds more calories daily to maintain my weight than it estimates. TDEE calculators are closer, but still estimate lower than reality. My fitness tracker (Garmin VivoActive 3 that I've only had a couple of weeks) estimates my calorie requirement around where MFP does, possibly even a little lower.

MFP and the Vivoactive estimate me around 1400-1500 calories daily, plus exercise (which is 200-350 most days), to maintain. I lose weight slowly if I stay at 1850 + exercise, around a pound a month, maybe a bit more, so reality is in the low 2000s plus exercise. (Usually I don't stay at 1850 + exercise; I eat more, usually.)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Hm, looking at @sarahbums photo I wondered if the fact that I don't take any caffeine what-so-ever (I get very unwell even after decaf :( ) has any effect on my low metabolism. @AnnPT77 and @sarahbums, how much coffee (caffeinated drinks) do you drink on average? Asking you because both of you report higher than average metabolism. I know that Ann has high NEAT but still worth asking.
    I have been through several studies which looked decent but I haven't been rigorously researching. From what I read caffeine does have effect on metabolism.

I don't want to steal the thread so I will be out after this, I hope that's alright.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Looking at four two month stretches, first during my initial loss and then a year later during a four two-month period when I was eating roughly at maintenance under the MFP prediction, both times my logging and results indicated my TDEE was about 400 calories per day more than MFP's prediction plus exercise logged at the lesser of MFP's estimate or a cardio machine's estimate. Yes, I know I'm lucky.

Edited to fix mental error.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered if there is a direct correlation between intake and weight. From my experience I would say not. But it would be cool if there was a way to superimpose the net calories into the weight report.
  • Seffell
    Options
    sarahbums wrote: »
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    Hm, looking at @sarahbums photo I wondered if the fact that I don't take any caffeine what-so-ever (I get very unwell even after decaf :( ) has any effect on my low metabolism. @AnnPT77 and @sarahbums, how much coffee (caffeinated drinks) do you drink on average? Asking you because both of you report higher than average metabolism. I know that Ann has high NEAT but still worth asking.
    I have been through several studies which looked decent but I haven't been rigorously researching. From what I read caffeine does have effect on metabolism.

I don't want to steal the thread so I will be out after this, I hope that's alright.

lol I do get a decent amount of caffeine, actually. I usually have 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, one or two low-cal energy drinks, and I drink unsweetened tea throughout the day in place of plain water. That all comes out to about 300-500mg of caffeine/day. I think the maximum recommended amount is 400mg/day. I havent done much research into the relationship between caffeine and calorie expenditure, so I can't really speculate on that tbh. But it's something to consider.

Another thing that may be relevant is that i'm in recovery for an eating disorder (anorexia/OSFED) that i've dealt with for 11-12 years. There's a lot of debate out there about whether disordered eating has any lasting effect on metabolism. Just going by my personal experience, it definitely seems to. Early in my recovery I was gaining steadily on just ~1600cal. And it wasn't all just water weight. But I stuck it out, and after a couple of years of being at a 'healthy' weight, the gaining stopped. Now 1600 is my maintenance target. If i'm more active than usual though, I can get away with about 1800/day and still maintain.

I'm also a pretty fidgety person, even though I spend so much time sitting around. I'm constantly wiggling my foot or bouncing my leg or something. I tend to pace around the house a bit, too. I've heard that things like that can burn *some* calories, but idk if just fidgeting alone would be enough to account for an almost 200cal discrepancy between my numbers and MFP's.

That's really interesting.
    I'll deffinitely do more research in caffeine.

I'm really glad you've recovered!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options

lol I do get a decent amount of caffeine, actually. I usually have 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning, one or two low-cal energy drinks, and I drink unsweetened tea throughout the day in place of plain water. That all comes out to about 300-500mg of caffeine/day. I think the maximum recommended amount is 400mg/day. I havent done much research into the relationship between caffeine and calorie expenditure, so I can't really speculate on that tbh. But it's something to consider.

Another thing that may be relevant is that i'm in recovery for an eating disorder (anorexia/OSFED) that i've dealt with for 11-12 years. There's a lot of debate out there about whether disordered eating has any lasting effect on metabolism. Just going by my personal experience, it definitely seems to. Early in my recovery I was gaining steadily on just ~1600cal. And it wasn't all just water weight. But I stuck it out, and after a couple of years of being at a 'healthy' weight, the gaining stopped. Now 1600 is my maintenance target. If i'm more active than usual though, I can get away with about 1800/day and still maintain.

I'm also a pretty fidgety person, even though I spend so much time sitting around. I'm constantly wiggling my foot or bouncing my leg or something. I tend to pace around the house a bit, too. I've heard that things like that can burn *some* calories, but idk if just fidgeting alone would be enough to account for an almost 200cal discrepancy between my numbers and MFP's.

From what I've read (research studies, can't find a cite however), yes, up to several (low) hundreds of calories per day can be burned by fidgeting.
  • Seffell
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

From what I've read (research studies, can't find a cite however), yes, up to several (low) hundreds of calories per day can be burned by fidgeting.

Wow really?! I used to fidget like mad. That could also add to me being always slim. I taught myself out of it so I guess I get to eat less now. Ah well...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

A lot of caffeine is required to be noticeable on average. Look at those studies, it isn't a cup or two of coffee only.
    Now you could be a person where a little will have a big effect, and not average.

Those diet pills that claim to effect metabolism are merely with caffeine or similar to try to compensate for how body generally slows down when you do diet, especially diets with big deficits where body adapts.

Metabolism as a few posts are inaccurately using as term is like the last thing effected - so many other methods the body can use to adapt to compensate, like the mentioned fidgeting, then tired and less movement in general (thyroid issues), then hair/nails/skin slow growth (that's finally metabolism), then actual slowing of metabolism.

But your TDEE (as most have been correctly calling it) can certainly down regulate without metabolism slowing.
    As even those with thyroid issues before meds have shown within 5% of calculated in research.

Step trackers may help keep that on point. Though they can't see fidgeting or lack of it.
    So good observation on your part.