not being sore after a workout

Options
I'm rarely sore after I do weights, unless I really go overboard, my question is should I be working out with heavier weights? Do I want to be sore after resistance training? Most body parts I lift till I feel I'll lose proper form, (though I'm not sure form matters much on machines...)
I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Replies

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Are you exhausting both muscle fibers (3 sets until you can barely do another rep)?
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If you are seeing the gains and changes you want, I would not worry about it. You do not have to hurt to make progress (contrary to popular belief). My legs are tired after a run but recover quickly and I rarely have DOMS.
  • 2baninja
    2baninja Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    Are you exhausting both muscle fibers (3 sets until you can barely do another rep)?

both muscle fibers???
    I tend to do 2 sets, and most of them I go to fatigue.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think I knew that, but sometimes I feel if I don't feel it more, then I think I'm not doing enough...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    2baninja wrote: »

both muscle fibers???

first set stimulates the first fiber.
    second set exhausts the first fiber and stimulates the second fiber.
    third set exhausts the second fiber.

Exhausting both fibers will yield the best training effect, and you should definitely feel it after.

What? Can you link to a peer reviewed article with more information on this? Giving a name and a publication year would be fine as well (a doi would be even easier) if you're worried about people not being able to access the article.
  • OldAssDude
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

both muscle fibers???

Exhausting both fibers will yield the best training effect, and you should definitely feel it after.

What? Can you link to a peer reviewed article with more information on this? Giving a name and a publication year would be fine as well (a doi would be even easier) if you're worried about people not being able to access the article.

peer reviewed article?

This is basic muscular training that I learned in the military.

To get the best affect you should exhaust both fibers and then allow a day of recovery. Ab's, Calf's, and heart do not really need a full day recovery.

To get the best of strength and endurance, adjust the weight so you can only do 8 to 12 reps per set. For strength, more weight less reps. For endurance, less weight more rep's.

I am sure there are a lot more complicated ways to get the same result, but I only know the basics.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

both muscle fibers???

peer reviewed article?

To get the best affect you should exhaust both fibers and then allow a day of recovery. Ab's, Calf's, and heart do not really need a full day recovery.

To get the best of strength and endurance, adjust the weight so you can only do 8 to 12 reps per set. For strength, more weight less reps. For endurance, less weight more rep's.

I am sure there are a lot more complicated ways to get the same result, but I only know the basics.

Yeah a peer reviewed article. As an an academic article that was published in a reputable journal that requires reviewers. Also there are definitely peer reviewed articles written on the basis of things that were developed by/for various militaries as well as on methods that the military just so happens to use but that (perhaps because they read articles on them...) but that were not developed for that specific use case. This article is an example of the latter case (the VA is doing similar sorts of research in terms of rehab methods).

I am primarily curious about the three set bit. I'm assuming by first and second fiber you mean fast and slow twitch? I'm curious as to how exactly that ends up happening.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

both muscle fibers???

peer reviewed article?

Yeah a peer reviewed article. As an an academic article that was published in a reputable journal that requires reviewers. Also there are definitely peer reviewed articles written on the basis of things that were developed by/for various militaries as well as on methods that the military just so happens to use but that (perhaps because they read articles on them...) but that were not developed for that specific use case. This article is an example of the latter case (the VA is doing similar sorts of research in terms of rehab methods).

I am primarily curious about the three set bit. I'm assuming by first and second fiber you mean fast and slow twitch? I'm curious as to how exactly that ends up happening.

I don't know of any review articles. I used to have the book from the military when I took the fitness instructor course that had all that stuff in it, but don't know what ever happened to it.

And yes. They called it quick and slow flex fiber though. 6 of 1 half dozen the other.

I just stick to the basics rather than over complicate things.

For example,

I had a discussion with a guy at work one day who seemed to know more advanced muscular stuff.

I mentioned to him about lifting heavy with fewer reps would develop more toward strength and bulk, and less weight with more reps would develop more toward endurance.

he said...
    no. to build strength and bulk up, you have to do pyramids.

i said...
    what is that?

he said...
    you start off with a x weight, and do x number of reps
    then you add weight and do x number less reps
    then add more weight and do x number less reps
    and so on, until you get down to 1 rep

i said...
    isn't that the same as lifting more weight with less reps?
    just in a more complicated way?

he said (after a brief pause)...
    hmmm
    i guess it is

So is doing it the more complicated way better?

I don't know, but either way the goal is to exhaust both muscle fibers.
  • 2baninja
    Options

both muscle fibers???

peer reviewed article?

I've heard most of this before, but I don't remember hearing the why behind doing 3 sets, your explanation does make sense.

I've heard the heart (cardio) and the abs you can do back to back, I've never heard the calves don't, I'm curious as to why.... I find it easiest to skip a day between resistance regardless.

I have to admit, I great at heavy weight/low reps, I get very bored doing low weight/high reps...

Thanks
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I don't get sore even after a heavy workout unless it's something I haven't done in a while. But even a tiny bit of a new exercise will make me sore.