Intermittent Fasting 16/8

Options
5 days in and feeling great. Anyone else on the intermittent fasting train?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Depends if I want bigger meals or not. Considering it’s just an eating schedule and no direct benefit itself in terms of body composition, it takes out of social events too much for me. So considering at the end of the day whether I eat 3000 calories in one meal or over 24 hours, It’ll still be.....3000 calories
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Been doing it since end of March...i do a 18:6 but am thinking about switching to a 16:8 ...i have lost about 25 lbs and now have 10 lbs to goal.
  • stephyjones2018
    Options
    Are you strict with daily calorie intake?
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yes always on target. I actually have been missing my calorie target lately because of very long work hours but it's important to eat enough to maintain muscle mass and good nutrition. You're very pretty you don't look like you need to lose weight. Can I ask why you're changing your eating habits? If you prefer not to go into it I understand.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Are you strict with daily calorie intake?

you have to be in a calorie deficit. you dont have to be strict though. just a deficit will do. I have done 16:8(sometimes 18:6) most of my life before I even knew what I was doing and at one point I became overweight because I ate more than my body burned. Im currently maintaining my weight fasting. its still all about the calories
  • rimir74
    rimir74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Yup 16:8 for about 13 years..welcome to the the club! There's quite a few IF'ers here. The fellow below is right. It won't really do much for weight loss over time but what it did for me was help me stop my mindless eating at all hours. It can give you a real feeling of accomplishment and control. Combine IF with your MFP calorie deficit and you've got a great system. Good luck..I'll be following your progress.

Been doing 16:8 since June. Using it to maintain (maintaining since Aug 2016) and like that it freed up a bunch of calories which was mindless - for example late night snacking which I never really enjoyed. Also I found breakfast to be chore. Not super strict about the 16:8 - I have a small low kcal coffee in the morning for the kickstart. But pretty much no eating away from the 8 hour slot. I also like snacking - and snack away during the 8 hours.

All of this strictly within/ and mostly at my required maintenance kcal.
  • FPmama
    FPmama Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do 16/8 every day and then on days when I know I have a social event I’ll do 18/6 to limit my eating window.
    I fast because the smaller my eating window is the less likely it is that I will binge and pick all day.

I’ve never been a breakfast person even when I was younger in school so I found i was fasting in the morning without even realising. Now I’m more conscious to stop eating earlier instead of snacking all the way until bedtime.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 14/10, so I don't know if that is really intermittent fasting. But, it's the best I can do. I stick to 1600 calories and I have lose 23 lbs in the past two months.
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    I just started reading about IF and think I might give it a try. Could I do a 15/9 and still be in the zone?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just started reading about IF and think I might give it a try. Could I do a 15/9 and still be in the zone?
    Fasting for 15 hours is not really accepted as a "protocol", however, you can eat any time you want; what zone are you referring to?
  • stephyjones2018
    Options
    I wake up hungry everyday!!! Hunger comes and goes but it’s hard to wait until 12 to eat 🙄😀
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the past, and it lines up well with how I normally eat so I'll probably do it again. But for the time being... no, I'm not. It can, at times, exacerbate my binging tendencies, and that's what I'm focused on right now.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I do and many others do. If it aligns with your preferences, it can be a good way to control calorie intake. If not, not. A quick search will reveal 10s if not 100s of threads on this topic.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I wake up hungry everyday!!! Hunger comes and goes but it’s hard to wait until 12 to eat 🙄😀

If you do decide to do it, here are a couple of things that helped me:

1. Black coffee mid morning - helps suppress appetite.
    2. Do IF for at least 3 days. After that it gets easier once your body adapts and you are used to the initial hunger pangs. They go away.
  • stephyjones2018
    Options
    Then why are you doing it?