Intermittent Fasting 16/8

Options
2»

Replies

• Aviatrix406
    Aviatrix406 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've done the 16/8 and felt amazing. I mainly did it for work focus since I work 11-12 hours per day, study after work, then hit the gym. I don't have a ton of time to meal prep. Fasting makes my eating style more nutrition focused, cheaper, and easily manageable. I bumped it up to 18 hours of fasting after the first month. I then switched to keto and no fasting, loved that as well, and currently I'm back to regular meal prep and fasting with the 16/8 :)
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do IF on and off, sometimes I'd go for months on a 16/8, other times I go for months with 3 meals a day, sometimes I go for 5 (rarely actually).

It's all about the amount of food you end up with at a single sitting. That's it. The amount of calories is the same, it just depends on how you distribute them over the day and how you feel most comfortable.

End of story.

But just the other day I had a long, and I mean LONG discussion with a friend, who was claiming that the idea of IF is to skip the food you'd normally eat. As in if you do a single meal in a 20/4 style, then you'd have to eat only the calories in that single meal (so for example a normal lunch ~ 800ish calories and end of story). Aaand yeah... it would work as you'd suddenly be anywhere from 400 to 1800 calories deficit (depending on your TDEE)... but... that's not IF. It can, of course, help you limit the number of calories, but the idea is how to distribute them so that you're most satisfied/comfortable, not how to eliminate calories that you should actually be taking in...
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Nothing anabolic either about not eating....
  • jmsouth4
    jmsouth4 Posts: 6 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I was under the (possible) misconception that IF 16/8 would kick your metab. butt into gear and help with loss. NO?? All thoughts welcome. I'm in a stall and trying the easiest way possible to shake it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    jmsouth4 wrote: »
    I was under the (possible) misconception that IF 16/8 would kick your metab. butt into gear and help with loss. NO?? All thoughts welcome. I'm in a stall and trying the easiest way possible to shake it

No!!
    If you just called it skipping breakfast it wouldn't sound quite so "sciency" would it?

Personal experience of two different forms of IF is that my weight tracked my calorie balance just like when I was eating 3 meals and 3 snacks, 2 meals and 3 snacks, 3 meals and no snacks......

Beware of lot of the soundbites cherry-picked from IF research and taken wildly out of context. Studies on different species or different IF protocols are commonly extrapolated to suggest (not prove) a benefit solely based on possible/maybe/perhaps/needs more study actual outcomes.

First step to addressing your stall would be double checking your logging accuracy and long term trends - just changing the time of day you take in the same calories isn't likely to achieve anything unless that timing change affects your intake directly.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I've done 16/8 for years. I lose, gain or maintain weight according to my calorie intake. Calories are what matter, not what time you eat them.

There is a lot of derp and woo surrounding intermittent fasting at the moment, it's the latest fad. As sijomial said, a lot of cherry-picked and/or out of context information is being put out there, none of which has been scientifically proven through research on humans.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wake up hungry everyday!!! Hunger comes and goes but it’s hard to wait until 12 to eat 🙄😀

Then why not eat when you are hungry and eat less when you aren't?
    You could make your eating window 8am - 4pm if you really want to have a fixed eating window at all.
    Not being hungry in the morning would be a more logical choice to pick a 12-8 eating window.

Don't set out to make a process harder, there's no bonus points for suffering!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I've done 16/8 for years. I lose, gain or maintain weight according to my calorie intake. Calories are what matter, not what time you eat them.

There is a lot of derp and woo surrounding intermittent fasting at the moment, it's the latest fad. As sijomial said, a lot of cherry-picked and/or out of context information is being put out there, none of which has been scientifically proven through research on humans.

same here Ive done all three doing 16:8 and sometimes 18:6 and while in the weight loss phase(deficit) I didnt lose any faster during fasting than I did not fasting and eating the same amount of calories but eating breakast when not fasting,becuse the calories were around the same amount. still in a deficit though for the weight loss