The men who made us fat

Options

Replies

• aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Let's face it. Companies aren't out to make you fat and they aren't out to make you fit, they are out to make money. That is why they exist. They are not an evil being, they are a business - they don't make money they close.

It is not their job to determine what you (or I) should eat, just to give the option for something to eat. If they can sell more food by making it sweeter then they will make it sweeter. If you don't want it sweet, buy from another company, if you can't tell from the label you can probably tell from the taste. This is the same reason they add salt if they take out the fat or the sugar, it makes it taste better. The better the product tastes the more of it that company sells which is kind of the point. If it wasn't profitable they wouldn't do it. If the unsweetened versions sold better then other companies would start offering unsweetened versions as well because - profitable.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    Every year in America since soda was introduced (coca cola containing high fructose corn syrup) there is a continuous rise in obesity. It is America's beverage of choice. There is a direct, undeniable correlation with that.
    Same with the rise in temperature since Coca Cola has been introduced. Definitely a correlation with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    Over consumption made us fat. The gigantic portions/super dense calorie meals that people eat are making them fat. And of course this is being forcibly fed to us.
    There are lots of people around the world who eat sugar and HFCS. America isn't the only place that does it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Here's one of them, but he is more of an accomplice...

Ld3044o.jpg

The main culprit, me, isn't shown.
  • martinmbm
    Options
    Yes, it is bad here in US. I try to minimize sugar whenever I can. For example, I NEVER drink sugar water (cola, lemonade, gatorade, energy drinks, "vitamin water", smoothies, fancy coffee drinks - they are all SUGAR WATER). And still, every day on MFP, my sugar intake ends up over the target amount. But with advertising, marketing, and general availability, even this small effort seems "counter-culture".
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Every year in America since soda was introduced (coca cola containing high fructose corn syrup) there is a continuous rise in obesity. It is America's beverage of choice. There is a direct, undeniable correlation with that.

I'm sure this point has been made, but HFCS aside, if you're drinking a lot of soda, you're consuming a LOT of calories. One can of Coke is 140 calories. If you're drinking a 6-pack or more a day like my man used to, you're drinking 840 calories in addition to the actual food you're eating.

Proper correlation would be if two groups of people were consuming the same calories but with one having HFCS in their diet and the other not.

Maybe the people drinking a lot of soda are consuming a lot of calories because the HFCS messes with their ability to naturally regulate their dietary intake.

I don't think the point of this whole thing is there are foods that make you fat, but maybe that there are foods that make you have to make an effort to not be fat, which people never used to have to do.

My point is that if you're drinking almost 1,000 calories of soda in addition to your normal food intake, the assumption that it's the high fructose corn syrup that's making you fat it absurd; you're fat because you're taking in 1,000 extra calories that you didn't account for (assuming we're speaking of someone who's not tracking calories). If you want soda, drink soda. Blindly drinking and eating is what bites you in the rear :)

Yes of course if you are eating an extra 1000 calories you are going to gain some weight,

But my point is if you cant naturally regulate your caloric intake, something is wrong. And if it's HFCS that is screwing up your natural mechanisms to regulate your food then that is a contributing factor to making you fat.

Not everyone who is thin actively tries to be thin and 'accounts' for their calories. They manage adjust their intake later without even thinking about it. So what is the different between them and the people that get fat? Why can some people naturally regulate caloric intake and therefore their body weight and others overeat and get fat?

Thats the real question that needs to be answered
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer to that one. Even with the human genome fully mapped there is no one answer. It seems to be a huge and varied combination of nature and nurture.

There is as much pfaff over that as the reason why once you are fat you have an almost overriding tendency to stay fat.

Fascinating stuff to read through though, even without the diet gurus :-)
  • overstreetjl
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I find this topic and title especially ridiculous. It doesn't take a genus to figure out what's healthy and what's not. Also, eating in moderation doesn't make someone fat. Eating bad foods excessively and to the point you're full every time does. That can't be blamed on anyone other than each person who lives that way. Nobody is standing there with a gun to someone's head saying "eat all of this bad food, or else".
  • iTrainHARD
    Options

I'm sure this point has been made, but HFCS aside, if you're drinking a lot of soda, you're consuming a LOT of calories. One can of Coke is 140 calories. If you're drinking a 6-pack or more a day like my man used to, you're drinking 840 calories in addition to the actual food you're eating.

Proper correlation would be if two groups of people were consuming the same calories but with one having HFCS in their diet and the other not.

Maybe the people drinking a lot of soda are consuming a lot of calories because the HFCS messes with their ability to naturally regulate their dietary intake.

I don't think the point of this whole thing is there are foods that make you fat, but maybe that there are foods that make you have to make an effort to not be fat, which people never used to have to do.

My point is that if you're drinking almost 1,000 calories of soda in addition to your normal food intake, the assumption that it's the high fructose corn syrup that's making you fat it absurd; you're fat because you're taking in 1,000 extra calories that you didn't account for (assuming we're speaking of someone who's not tracking calories). If you want soda, drink soda. Blindly drinking and eating is what bites you in the rear :)

Yes of course if you are eating an extra 1000 calories you are going to gain some weight,

But my point is if you cant naturally regulate your caloric intake, something is wrong. And if it's HFCS that is screwing up your natural mechanisms to regulate your food then that is a contributing factor to making you fat.

Not everyone who is thin actively tries to be thin and 'accounts' for their calories. They manage adjust their intake later without even thinking about it. So what is the different between them and the people that get fat? Why can some people naturally regulate caloric intake and therefore their body weight and others overeat and get fat?[/]

What does that even mean? Seriously.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!

^^^ This.

I'm pretty sure I got fat because I ate too much crap and sat on my lazy butt too much. But that's just me I guess...
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I find this topic and title especially ridiculous. It doesn't take a genus to figure out what's healthy and what's not. Also, eating in moderation doesn't make someone fat. Eating bad foods excessively and to the point you're full every time does. That can't be blamed on anyone other than each person who lives that way. Nobody is standing there with a gun to someone's head saying "eat all of this bad food, or else".

You need to go back to the OP to work out what the original intention was. And if you haven't seen the programme it probably still won't make sense - as many of the responses show.
  • lovejenny333
    Options
    I was actually really surprised to find that the fruit-on-the-bottom yogurts and a lot of low-cal ice creams are actually just sugar bombs. Sure, they're often low cal and low fat but loaded with sugar. For yogurt, I switched to Chobani and, for ice cream, I switched to Halo Top ice cream. You do have to be really careful and read those labels! I learned the hard way.
  • Needachange84
    Needachange84 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm the one who got me to where I am and I take full responsibility for it.
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    I agree with you and I food shop for hours because i read labels on everything. I was addicted to equal and got out of that completely. My thoughts are if God didn't make it, I shouldn't eat it.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    My eyes saw "The men who made us fart"

I'll just be leaving now. Carry on.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!

hahahaha.

Unfortunately the only person I have to blame for making me fat is me. Some people are so lucky! >.>

And I'm also one of those cray cray people that believes that sugar doesn't make someone fat but that overeating does. But I guess I'm just a special snowflake like that :smile:

All of this. The only excuse I had for being overweight was when I was a kid and it was put in front of me. Once I started buying my own food and shoveling it in my own mouth how can I blame anyone but myself?
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have the same gripes about hidden salts. I have high blood pressure and have to keep my salt intake to under 6g a day if possible. I do appreciate that im probably in the minority and that food might taste bland without salt being added, but surely if that was the case the consumer could add salt at the table at home if they wanted, they would have the CHOICE to add salt.

By food companies adding the salt to the food they take away MY choices and limit what I can eat, it is extremely annoying to discover salt has been added to yogurts amongst other things wtf, its also very unhealthy to consume so much salt., a little is needed for health but not the vast quantities being pumped into so many different types of food day after day
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I go by the assumption that all packaged foods are bad (high salt/high sugar). I eat as many fresh foods as I can, and we buy our meat from our brother who farms nearby. He's a small operation and doesn't inject his animals with all sorts of crazy stuff.

I can't take the time to read too many labels. I never buy canned fruits or veggies. I always buy fresh or frozen.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    So many political fails in this thread.
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer to that one. Even with the human genome fully mapped there is no one answer. It seems to be a huge and varied combination of nature and nurture.

There is as much pfaff over that as the reason why once you are fat you have an almost overriding tendency to stay fat.

If you can figure out why you got fat in the first place you then have the power to prevent it from happening again. Most people who lose weight do not maintain weight loss, so this is actually a very important question to ask.

I think we could probably find out the answer if people were actually working towards it. But people aren't answering the right question. We ask 'why do we get fat' then people answer 'calories in calories out'. Why do we not ask why some people have the balance so wrong? Why do we stop at step 1?