The men who made us fat

Just watching a fascinating 3part documentary about the Foodindustry on UK television (BBC2).
Part 1 about the US and the introduction of Cornsyrup and the wide range foods it's added to. Very good and highly informative. Watch it if you can.

It's terrifying how the US industry totally ignores the impact Sugar (in various forms and artificial Sweeteners) has on the increase in Obesity.

Who on here really checks all the food labels?

What has been winding me up for years is when I discovered that most of the available varieties of smoked Salmon (which i love and eat a lot of) have got sugar added to it! Why on earth? Totally unnecessary for the flavour. The same with Bacon! Good news is there are some without added sugar or any other form of sweetener.

Which are the foods you've discovered have sugars added to it and surprised you the most?

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    I'm eating about 95% clean right now (can't get all organic veggies in my area, and organic cheese would cost me an arm and a leg), so I completely feel that. I don't understand why EVERYTHING has to have sugar or freaking high fructose corn syrup-- especially products marketed as "healthy" (I'm looking at YOU, Kashi cereal).
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    It's pretty crazy how many random products have added HFCS. Can definitely skew macros. Just have to pay attention.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Honey glazing for things like smoked salmon and even bacon is pretty routine. HFCS is a honey alternative, so not really surprised to see that.

Bottom line is food labels need to be read, unless we're preparing the food ourselves, from known sources.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!

hahahaha.

Unfortunately the only person I have to blame for making me fat is me. Some people are so lucky! >.>

And I'm also one of those cray cray people that believes that sugar doesn't make someone fat but that overeating does. But I guess I'm just a special snowflake like that :smile:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    It's America's fault!!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    The BBC's modus operandi is to blame the big corporations.

If you don't want corn syrup in your products don't buy products with corn syrup in them.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    OP:
    How's about no...

I will be damned if I am going to blame any poor decision that I have made on anybody else. Also, sugar is not evil and don't talk bad about bacon. Geez.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Damn them for literally breaking into my house, tying me up, and pouring HFCS down my throat!!! [Shakes fist]

Seriously: what I eat is up to me, and me alone. If I gain weight, its because I chose to. The fact that water has less calories than Pepsi is not a closely guarded state secret.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Damn them for literally breaking into my house, tying me up, and pouring HFCS down my throat!!! [Shakes fist]

Seriously: what I eat is up to me, and me alone. If I gain weight, its because I chose to. The fact that water has less calories than Pepsi is not a closely guarded state secret.

WHAT ARE YOU DOING! YES IT IS!!!! Damnit! Shhhh! :tongue: :laugh:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    OP:
    How's about no...

I will be damned if I am going to blame any poor decision that I have made on anybody else. Also, sugar is not evil and don't talk bad about bacon. Geez.

Part of this issue is people could be making the same eating decisions and end up with a lower calorie intake and better macro ratio, if there weren't taxes going to subsidizing corn syrup. It's not just a honey substitute, it's a general filler product.

I'm in good shape, and nobody made me fat. Sugar and bacon are great.
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    The BBC's modus operandi is to blame the big corporations.

If you don't want corn syrup in your products don't buy products with corn syrup in them.
    Hmm I'm not sure it isn't quite as easy as personal responsibility, as don't know about in America, but in uk it's hard enough to get manufacturers to label products ingredients honestly, a lot of food producers just passed off horse for beef earlier this year, they weren't honest! Is up to the food producers to give us all the info so we can make an informed choice!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    yea all those evil sugar companies made us fat! *kitten*!

Its not like over eating or anything made people fat...
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    It's no one's fault but us for how we gained weight. Don't blame corporations or anyone but yourself. Those corporations adding sugar to things is not what made us fat... sugar alone did not make us fat... we made ourselves fat because we ate too much and were too lazy.

There is sugar in almost everything... HFCS is in a lot of things. Read labels and know what you are buying but don't buy into fear mongering about how things will kill you and you should avoid them (the whole debate on sweeteners for example has yet to give any real proof).

If we avoid everything that is apparently bad for us we will never eat or drink again.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    My tomato paste had high fructose corn syrup added. It never even occurred to me to check the ingredients -- I thought it was an ingredient! I found this out sometime last year and it still annoys me when I think about it.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Every year in America since soda was introduced (coca cola containing high fructose corn syrup) there is a continuous rise in obesity. It is America's beverage of choice. There is a direct, undeniable correlation with that.
  • ndj1979
    I'm a card carrying member of the People's Anti-Sugar Populist Front of America. Please do not confuse us with the American People's Anti-Sugar Populist Front as they're a bunch of capitalist sell outs.

I thought we were in the Peoples Anti-Caulifflower Substitute Front of America?? What the hell is going on ...I am in the wrong group again???

The PASPFofA meets on alternate Tuesdays.
    The PACSFofA meets on the third Friday of the month...except when it's bingo night and then they switch to the last Monday.

Oh F my life, I got the damn schedule's mixed up again!
  • crandos
    crandos Posts: 377 Member
    O no OP you have released a can of worms brace yourself!!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    I'm a card carrying member of the People's Anti-Sugar Populist Front of America. Please do not confuse us with the American People's Anti-Sugar Populist Front as they're a bunch of capitalist sell outs.

As the founder and treasurer of the United American Populist Counter-Sugar Insurgency, I propose a merger. What say you?
  • ndj1979
    Every year in America since soda was introduced (coca cola containing high fructose corn syrup) there is a continuous rise in obesity. It is America's beverage of choice. There is a direct, undeniable correlation with that.

so overeating on fast food is not what makes us fat..???

People who eat pizza get fat too, is pizza the leading cause of obesity?