The men who made us fat

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I am that annoying person at the grocery store who reads labels. Specifically, the first 3 ingredients. ALWAYS. It doesn't mean I eat clean. It means I MUSTS know what I IZ eating.

So, since I am a label reader. Nothing surprises me. I remember being angry that Gyros have almost NO protein content whatsoever. So I only ever get disappointed over low protein content in foods that appear to have a lot or should have a lot.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!

Nothing like ignoring empirical evidence in favor of rationalism and an unhealthy obsession with individualism!

I changed my body by going against the flow. But I'm not foolish enough to believe that is the answer on a societal level.

That's because I believe in addressing problems based in the available evidence. As much as I love being elite and special for pulling this off, I also love being part of a sustainable community of human beings who look out for each other and find a balance between "me" and "us".

I prefer to be part of a community where people don't screw up their lives and expect everyone around them to bail them out. Different strokes.

yeah, that's my preference as well.

Unfortunately there is this pesky thing called REALITY. And she's a *****.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    I think people got way off on a tangent.

The OP asked what foods were your surprised that they had added sugar.

So far, here in Australia, sugar isn't added to everything and it isn't promoted as a health food.

I was comparing labels on bread for the US and here and was surprised sugar is added to plain white bread in the USA.

Yes people, usually Americans raised on Ayn Rand, will go on and on about personal responsibility. The world is black and white, and terms are always absolute and determined before the conversation started. Other cultures are strange and arbitrary, ours is rational.

Because, you know, taking high fructose corn syrup off the GRAS list would be COMMUNISM
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    How is it possible that, with a straight face, you can blame someone else for your own overeating??

"You jerk! The food you make tastes TOO GOOD and you're making me fat!" Seriously? That's like something from The Onion.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Reality is that you're never going to solve obesity until you force people to acknowledge that it is the result of poor lifestyle choices. It's not genetics. It's not the food supply. It is straight up lack of willingness to accept responsibility for your own decisions. The only sustainable way to "fix" obesity from a societal standpoint is to stop telling people that someone else is to blame for it.

You're talking about a fantasy land of unicorns and rainbows where we solve obesity by holding hands and singing songs while we dance around a campfire.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I just recently read an article about a study that was done on people who eat at McDonalds... And since McDonalds started putting nutrition facts on the menu a lot of people have actually been eating more. So just because ppl know what's in their food, doesn't mean it'll make a difference... People have to want to change
  • pcastagner
    Options
    How is it possible that, with a straight face, you can blame someone else for your own overeating??

"You jerk! The food you make tastes TOO GOOD and you're making me fat!" Seriously? That's like something from The Onion.

Well, see, there's this whole crazy concept called "nuance".

Check it out, it actually possible for groups and individuals to operate on a different set of rules!

Crazy! Things aren't super simple, black and white, cut and dry. Complexity exists! Small particles don't behave as predicted by the physics we use to understand larger ones! CRAZY!
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Nothing like absolving yourself of personal responsibility!

Nothing like ignoring empirical evidence in favor of rationalism and an unhealthy obsession with individualism!

I changed my body by going against the flow. But I'm not foolish enough to believe that is the answer on a societal level.

That's because I believe in addressing problems based in the available evidence. As much as I love being elite and special for pulling this off, I also love being part of a sustainable community of human beings who look out for each other and find a balance between "me" and "us".

Oh wait... I was supposed to come down on one side or the other, and at all costs avoid a pragmatic view that tries to balance costs and benefits.
    Hard to do! But I think it isn't as simple as a lassaiz faire approach to public health , it may work? but sometimes i think it is more subtle things which influence the food choices we make. It's like the amount spent advertising junk food versus the amount on fruit. There are still people who need educating in how to make better food choices. The companies only really change things due to public pressure, like I say labelling not great in UK. however the nhs in UK have okay ed gastric band operations as they cost less in long term than caring for chronic illnesses people get with obesity, this is financially worth it for society and individual I suppose.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Check it out, it actually possible for groups and individuals to operate on a different set of rules!

Crazy! Things aren't super simple, black and white, cut and dry. Complexity exists! Small particles don't behave as predicted by the physics we use to understand larger ones! CRAZY!

The thread title is "the men who made us fat."

Only one man made me fat, and that's me. I'm not sure if other men made you fat, but I doubt it. So... us? We made ourselves fat.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Reality is that you're never going to solve obesity until you force people to acknowledge that it is the result of poor lifestyle choices. It's not genetics. It's not the food supply. It is straight up lack of willingness to accept responsibility for your own decisions. The only sustainable way to "fix" obesity from a societal standpoint is to stop telling people that someone else is to blame for it.

You're talking about a fantasy land of unicorns and rainbows where we solve obesity by holding hands and singing songs while we dance around a campfire.

You mean we need to treat people as individuals with choice and responsibility, and that being honest is the only way? Nawwww, it will never work.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The men who made me fat

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzz1NcjH-N1KG0_wswoapQgomGN3q24b155nWJXHfRRw6GxA4F
    200px-Harland_Sanders.jpg
    tribute.jpg?1375403997
    ..........and this Magician.
    10661304-large.jpg

that *kitten* colonel sanders got you too??!!
  • pcastagner
    Options

Only one man made me fat, and that's me. I'm not sure if other men made you fat, but I doubt it. So... us? We made ourselves fat.

You keep wanting me to say its JUST the one thing or the other. Science doesn't work that way. Reality doesn't fit strict rationalistic definitions and theories.

It's true that I made myself fat and I made myself unfat.

But as a larger group of humans, we actually invest resources, and lots of them, researching ways to make each other fatter for the benefit of a very small group at the top.

I know this is really tough, but it is possible to have a healthy amount of freedom along with a healthy amount of security, and you don't have to pick only one or the other. I know, I know, thinking makes the brain burn, and it's easier to only count the evidence that confirms your bias. But give the old college try.
  • jonnythan
    Options

You keep wanting me to say its JUST the one thing or the other. Science doesn't work that way. Reality doesn't fit strict rationalistic definitions and theories.

But as a larger group of humans, we actually invest resources, and lots of them, researching ways to make each other fatter for the benefit of a very small group at the top.

I know this is really tough, but it is possible to have a healthy amount of freedom along with a healthy amount of security, and you don't have to pick only one or the other.

You replied to me. I never said anything to you :laugh: I'm not Casey and BeachIron (as interesting as that would be)

I don't care what you say. All I said was that the thread title is a pathetic cop-out; an attempt to blame someone else for your own actions. It would be comical if it weren't serious
  • scootinalong
    Options

I know this is really tough, but it is possible to have a healthy amount of freedom along with a healthy amount of security, and you don't have to pick only one or the other. I know, I know, thinking makes the brain burn, and it's easier to only count the evidence that confirms your bias. But give the old college try.

I thought it was basically just retailers/businesses choosing the cheapest ingredients to produce their products with? Unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy.
  • HouseWolf1960
    Options
    There is an app for the iphone that will scan upc codes and let you know if the item has ingredients that you are trying to avoid. Shocked me when I found out coke and diet cake have wheat in it. Its a free app and kind of fun to use.
  • pcastagner
    Options

I know this is really tough, but it is possible to have a healthy amount of freedom along with a healthy amount of security, and you don't have to pick only one or the other.

You replied to me. I never said anything to you :laugh: I'm not Casey and BeachIron (as interesting as that would be)

I don't care what you say. All I said was that the thread title is a pathetic cop-out; an attempt to blame someone else for your own actions. It would be comical if it weren't serious

Ah, good one. Changing the subject to "who should speak". Classic.

Thinking caps, people. You can do it! I know it's uncomfortable, but maybe both sides have a point and they aren't mutually exclusive!
  • pcastagner
    Options

I thought it was basically just retailers/businesses choosing the cheapest ingredients to produce their products with? Unhealthy food is cheaper than healthy.

You "thought" that? As in, you assumed?

Check it out: the more food sold, the more money a food corporation makes. So the profit motive dictates R&D money goes where?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Thinking caps, people. You can do it! I know it's uncomfortable, but maybe both sides have a point and they aren't mutually exclusive!

What on earth are you talking about? You put "who should speak" in quotes, but no one said that. I didn't say anything like that. I can't figure out what you're talking about. I think you're sorta conflating my posts with posts from other people and treating it like a conversation with a single person.

Take a deep breath, go back to the top of the page, and read MY posts. :laugh:
  • pcastagner
    Options

What on earth are you talking about? You put "who should speak" in quotes, but no one said that. I didn't say anything like that. I can't figure out what you're talking about. I think you're sorta conflating my posts with posts from other people and treating it like a conversation with a single person.

Take a deep breath, go back to the top of the page, and read MY posts. :laugh:

Crazy leap I made: I took your words and boiled them down to what they mean. In this case the quotes don't indicate a literal quotation.

It burnssss!
  • debbash68
    debbash68 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

The thread title was the tv programme and last year it talked about how when we eat out portion sizes are too big, super sizing food and king size mars bars etc. it wasn't trying to take away individual responsibility, but it was saying corporations like Maccy ds need to be more responsible too. Empowering people to enable them to make the right choices is what it was talking about. Even though it is individual actions in the end that make us fat, they owe the public in not prioritising selling us crappy processed food at the expense of our health , and to offer cheap healthy food . Only my opinion lol