Black Coffee vs White,

Options
Is black coffee better than having white ? I know coffee is probably not the best thing full stop but thought I would ask,

Replies

• Slacky68
    Slacky68 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Slacky68 wrote: »
    Is black coffee better than having white ?

Yes. Coffee tastes so much better black.

I'm getting used to it, I've always had milk, but went to the states earlier this month and getting milk was hard in some places so I started having black coffee, its growing in me,
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Drink what you prefer, just remember to account for the extra calories from the milk/creamer.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    It’s a bit too bitter for me completely black. I do a splash of cashew or almond milk + a bit of 0 calorie sweetener.
  • anetkastefaniak
    anetkastefaniak Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @hippysprout @WinoGelato actually I had the same experience when driving to Chicago. Stopped by a few coffee places (McDonald's for example) and when we asked for coffee with milk the servers looked at us like we were crazy... turns out they never have milk, just cream...

When we got to downtown Chicago and grabbed breakfast at a cafe, they had milk though.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options

I'm getting used to it, I've always had milk, but went to the states earlier this month and getting milk was hard in some places so I started having black coffee, its growing in me,

What states? The states of the United variety? Milk is practically seeping out of every place that accepts cash check or debit card. Well, granted I haven't been to every corner of the US, but I've never heard of any place where milk is a precious commodity here, in fact the price of milk has fallen so low that many dairy farms are shutting their doors for lack of profit. Out of curiosity, where were you that getting milk was hard?
    There are upscale-ey places in the US where you can only get cream, and downscale-ey places where you can only get powdered non-dairy creamer. I take cream (and log the calories) in the upscaley places, and take my coffee black in the downscaley places.

(BTW, coffee doesn't come in "white" in the US. It comes "with cream/milk/creamer.")

The only way in which I can think of black or white coffee being better or worse for one's health is in the case of very bitter or highly acid coffee: milk can make it a little less hard on the stomach.

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    So many options available in the USA at most coffee shops: Cream, whole milk, skim milk, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk. Each has a different calorie count. Some people have put protein powder in their coffee. And some go black. Whatever you want. Coffee is a wonderful thing
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

What states? The states of the United variety? Milk is practically seeping out of every place that accepts cash check or debit card. Well, granted I haven't been to every corner of the US, but I've never heard of any place where milk is a precious commodity here, in fact the price of milk has fallen so low that many dairy farms are shutting their doors for lack of profit. Out of curiosity, where were you that getting milk was hard?

This is what I was wondering. I can’t imagine a store, cafe, or restaurant in any area: urban, suburban or rural, that has coffee but no milk. Were you looking for a particular type of milk and the offerings were not to your liking?

From my experience, people here in Australia put milk in their coffee whereas people in the US put "creamer" or some powdered stuff that looks like dried paint powder into their coffee. But small cartons of milk aren't often provided at breakfast places etc.

For me, milk is bad enough but that other stuff is ... strange.

Even at places that bring cream (or, worse, give you those tiny 1 teaspoon packages of half and half) I ask for 2% milk for my coffee. I've never been told no yet and, though I wouldn't mind having to pay for it, I've never been charged for it either.

I prefer my coffee with milk in it. Quite a bit of milk, actually. At home I probably mix it 1/4 milk and 3/4 coffee. I count on it as part of my protein intake.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    @hippysprout @WinoGelato actually I had the same experience when driving to Chicago. Stopped by a few coffee places (McDonald's for example) and when we asked for coffee with milk the servers looked at us like we were crazy... turns out they never have milk, just cream...

When we got to downtown Chicago and grabbed breakfast at a cafe, they had milk though.

They sell milk at McDonald’s.
    The OP said milk was hard to find in some places. I have never had a problem finding milk anywhere?

I'm getting used to it, I've always had milk, but went to the states earlier this month and getting milk was hard in some places so I started having black coffee, its growing in me, [/quote]

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,980 Member
    Options

The OP said milk was hard to find in some places. I have never had a problem finding milk anywhere?

[/quote]

We're not talking about buying a carton of milk like what you might get with a happy meal ... we're talking about being given a little container of milk with your coffee.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

We're not talking about buying a carton of milk like what you might get with a happy meal ... we're talking about being given a little container of milk with your coffee.[/quote]

The OP said milk was hard to find in some places in the US. Where? I have never had a problem finding milk anywhere, ever. If you want it in little containers for coffee, and the restaurant doesn’t serve milk that way, get cream or purchase a glass or small carton of milk for your coffee. Easy solution.
    Every state in this country has milk producers and every restaurant or store that serves coffee, that I have been to has milk.
    Where can’t you find milk?
    It’s a staple.