I'm a vegetarian but need more protein. HELP!

Options

Replies

• sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Many of the largest animals on earth--and leanest--are vegans. They do not need protein shakes, pounds of chicken, or tubs of yogurt to maintain their powerful, lean, and, compared to humans, enormous size (horses, giraffes, moose, elk, elephants!)...Protein is in everything, especially the leafy greens and vegetables central to these lean vegan animals' diets.

I wouldn't buy into the protein hype, meat-eating or vegetarian. I would instead focus on eating whole, naturally fat free foods (or nearly) and weight training to achieve a leaner physique.
  • sinistras
    Options
    You do not need to overdo the protein. Only weight resistance builds muscle. Your kidneys will work very hard to flush out excess. Just make sure there is a protein rich food at every meal. You'll be good :).

THiS^^
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Many of the largest animals on earth--and leanest--are vegans. They do not need protein shakes, pounds of chicken, or tubs of yogurt to maintain their powerful, lean, and, compared to humans, enormous size (horses, giraffes, moose, elk, elephants!)...Protein is in everything, especially the leafy greens and vegetables central to these lean vegan animals' diets.

I wouldn't buy into the protein hype, meat-eating or vegetarian. I would instead focus on eating whole, naturally fat free foods (or nearly) and weight training to achieve a leaner physique.

Yes, and some are carnivores. We are humans.

EAA's are not in everything and most plant based foods do not give much protein bang for their calorie buck - plus all that fiber! No you do not *need* shakes or chicken or anything else, but there is nothing wrong with them and they are an effective and efficient way of getting enough protein to maintain LBM while dieting (assuming strength training).

Also...fat free? You realize that fats are essential to healthy body functions and hormonal balances?

ETA: Elephants are lean? Cheetah's are mind you.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Whales are vegan?
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Gotta love these forums, really. Whereas some are doing great ground work, explaining to people that they won't get dancer / runner / Schwarzenegger body by eating and working out like a dancer / runner / Schwarzenegger (unless they're genetically predisposed to), somebody will come along and tell "eat like a horse and you're gonna look and perform like a horse".

One step forward, two steps back.
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Gotta love these forums, really. Whereas some are doing great ground work, explaining to people that they won't get dancer / runner / Schwarzenegger body by eating and working out like a dancer / runner / Schwarzenegger (unless they're genetically predisposed to), somebody will come along and tell "eat like a horse and you're gonna look and perform like a horse".

One step forward, two steps back.

This is a strawman argument. No one is saying eat like a horse and you will look and perform like one. The point is that a plant-based diet is capable of sustaining animals much larger and stronger than we are, and for that and other reasons a plant-based diet is also sufficient for sustaining our needs for protein and other nutrients. Not only can we be healthy on a plant-based diet, we can thrive. I believe that the animal illustration is only there to show that this diet is capable of sustaining creatures larger and more powerful than ourselves, and to put the protein worries into perspective.
  • sinistras
    Options
    Thank you for making me more clear! :-)
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas! Only adding my two cents so I can come back here easily for new ideas :)
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Don't forget you also need a surplus of calories, along with protein and lifting HEAVY to build muscle. You won't build much, if any at a calorie deficit.

Eat things like nuts and seeds. Decent amounts of protein and gives you a bit more calories and good fats. Have eggs and dairy products (greek yogurt is great for protein). If you eat dairy I'm sure you are fine with whey so add in a bit of whey protein to yogurt, milk, or make a smoothie with it (you can also make your own protein bars). If you don't have an issue with gluten use gluten flour, vegetable broth, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and whatever other spices you like and make seitan. A small portion packs a lot of protein. One of my favourite things! Super yummy! Dark greens have protein in them. Various beans are awesome for protein as well.
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,962 Member
    Options
    This is something I am struggling with being vegan. Never worried about protein before, but I have read some things on MFP that make sense to me especially in place of a roadmap and the info on the eat train progress group. I've calculated my TDEE and am eating at a modest deficit (have about 20 to 25 pounds left to lose). I've started having some vegan protein shakes (plantfusion and lifetime are both good), have added soy yogurt, luna bars, fake meats, etc. to my usual tofu and beans for protein.

I'm not thrilled to be eating so much more "fake" stuff now (it is not that I don't like them just that I never really ate them much before). But I'm going to keep doing it for now because I was stuck for a month and after a week of more calories (like 500 a day more) and meeting my macros the scale is finally moving again. It's an experiment and I will reevaluate after a couple more weeks.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Organic Brown Rice Protein Powder (in smoothies, the brand I use is Jarrow), beans, lentils, split peas, quinoa, soy products (tofu, edamame, soy milk, etc.), La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Tortillas (high protein and high fiber)
  • TheGalaxyxOx1
    Options
    -Peanuts
    -Almonds
    -Protein Shakes
    -Protein bars
    -Supplements
    -Peanut butter
    -Cashews, nuts, any kind of nuts.

Hope I helped! :flowerforyou:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to jump past all the crazy found in this thread, despite the urge to comment on it.

My favorite sources of vegetarian protein are

Roasted soy nuts (11g protein per 1/3 cup)
    0% Fage Greek yogurt (23g per cup)
    All-white (5g protein and only 25 calories per 3 TBS)
    Whey protein powder (varies depending on brand)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    So... I'm trying to gain beautiful lean muscle, and in order to do that, I have to consume a good deal of protein. Problem. I don't eat meat. I eat plain greek yogurt and cottage cheese to help with some of the protein. I also have protein in my shakes, and I'm going to start a hemp protein next. However, according to MFP, and my personal goals, I am not consuming enough protein. I eat beans, nuts, seeds, and tofu as well. Any other tips out there?
    Unless you are an elite athletes ( and even then the research is questionable) normal levels of protein are fine.
  • louisemh28
    Options
    I've found nutritional yeast flakes a good alternative source of protein. They taste a lot better than they sound, and I believe they're vegan.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've found nutritional yeast flakes a good alternative source of protein. They taste a lot better than they sound, and I believe they're vegan.

^^agreed. It is a complete protein and is usually fortified with B12. Hemp seeds are also a complete protein.
  • janinealfke
    Options
    Unjury.com has a protein powder that is flavorless. You can add that to anything you CAN eat. Good luck!!

Janine Alfke
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I haven't been vegetarian in a long time, quite a few years. I remember though, I always had a can of mixed nuts on me. Always. I'd put the nuts in a little bag and tie it to a belt loop, and just munch on cashews and such all day long.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Dry roasted edamame - 14g of protein per 30g (about 1/4 cup), and 7g fiber to boot.

Love edamame beans! They have all the amino acids so are great unless you have certain health problems like cancer or hyperthyroidism.

I also eat a lot of cheese yum yum. I've found fresh egg pasta to be a good source of protein and some of them aren't too carby.
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I love eating Quaker's weight control instant oatmeal. 7g of protein per package. I oftentimes have two and then a greek yogurt. I can usually get 25-30g of protein in for breakfast this way-- no meat required :-)

I also like to bump my protein count with some whey protein.

I've not cooked with tempeh yet-- I'd have no idea of what to do with it.