September 11th, 2001 – where were you?

Options
September 11th, 2001 – where were you?

I was Active Duty US Air Force stationed at Aviano Air Base Italy. We were 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time, so around 2pm Local (Italy time)/8am Eastern Standard Time it was “time” for the afternoon cappuccino to get me/us through the rest of the day - I decided to go buy a bunch for the folks I supervised. So after I got back we were outside drinking a few (it was a gorgeous fall afternoon), our peace was shattered when a younger Airman came running outside and said those tragic words “OMG A plane just crashed into the World Trade Center!” So every rushed in to see to what was going on, watching on live TV we saw the 2nd plane crash into the South Tower, I remember looking to my friend and saying “We are under attack”……… about 30 minutes a plane crashed into the Pentagon and my greatest fears were realized – we are under attack and we are going to war.

Every 9/11 – I shed a tear, for those lost, for innocent lives gone, for Husbands without Wives, for Wives without Husbands – children who lost their parents and parents who lost their children.

To the Men and Women of our US Armed Forces, even though I passed the torch years ago - thank you for all eternity for the sacrifice you make every day to ensure our safety; call on me ever again if needed.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I was a sophomore in college and I woke up to the news that a plane hit the WTC and immediately thought good lord, what an awful accident.

It wasn’t until 11 or so after my classes that I was walking through the commons and saw that there were so many people standing watching the TV in there that you couldn’t even slip through the crowd. I will never forget standing there in utter shock, watching the same clips over and over.
  • cdlee05mfp
    cdlee05mfp Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    I was a sophomore in college and I woke up to the news that a plane hit the WTC and immediately thought good lord, what an awful accident.

It wasn’t until 11 or so after my classes that I was walking through the commons and saw that there were so many people standing watching the TV in there that you couldn’t even slip through the crowd. I will never forget standing there in utter shock, watching the same clips over and over.

This was basically the exact same as me...in my college dorm room just getting up and ready for class when my roommate showed me on the news what was happening and then seeing the second plane hit.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i was at Ft. Huachuca in AZ.

was working a detail during the AWIC (a big intelligence conference with a ton of high rollers basically) was going on that day and when they realized it was some sort of attack happening they evacuated everybody who wasn't essential from the post. they figured we would've been higher on the list of places to be attacked next.

put us on roving guard duty around all the scifs and restricted outside communications. stayed like that for a few weeks before things started to settle down again.

nothing ever happened of any interest other than i remember someone found an unmarked package, that had to be detonated to be safe. i think later on they determined it was some delivery that had been dropped off at the wrong location and that was it.

i did end up with a new roommate a few months after everything had settled though. he was some near 30 year old ex history teacher. said he joined up because of the attacks and he wanted to make a difference.
  • Pour_Decisions
    Pour_Decisions Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I was at work in a complete panic for my friends (former co-workers) who still worked at WTC. I would've probably still worked there with them had I not moved out of NY. Who knows. I'm grateful they all made it out alive but boy those stories. :'(
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I was at home in rural Kansas with my baby. It was sunny and quiet where I was so far away from the events we were seeing on tv. I remember how blue the sky was over the fields.
  • J_NY_Z
    J_NY_Z Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I was working nights at the time. I woke up about 10:30 am and drove to my then mother in laws house to do laundry. When I got in the truck I turned the radio on and I remember Dan Rather saying "The World Trade Centers have fallen" and I thought "What the *kitten*"? I listened to the radio further and got the story. I live in upstate NY, 400 miles from NYC. People were calling from other states to inquire if we were OK. The events had all taken place before I woke up so I didn't witness them live but I sure remember. Later the same day here a man took off in his crop duster to do something on his farm. All flights of any kind were grounded by Federal order. The man was met by 2 F-16s out of Elmira. I can't imagine how fast he filled his pants with *kitten*.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Standing frozen in my living room - I turned on the tv just in time to see second plane hit - I had to call my dad and ask "is this about something that happened in the past" and he said "no darling this is live" and I stood there frozen for several hours. :(
  • Jboogieonthefloor
    Jboogieonthefloor Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    When the attacks happened I was five and living in Germany because my dad was stationed in Heidelberg. I remember my mother crying and my dad looking afraid, which was an emotion I rarely saw from him, but the magnitude of what happened wasn't clear to me back then. My parents allowed my sister and I to watch some of the news, but when the second plane hit they told us to go in our room and they found a network showing cartoons. Shortly after the attacks, my dad was deployed to Iraq and then to Afghanistan a couple years later. I can't imagine the fear of so many who were in the service during the time.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I was at an early morning work meeting. The tv was on in the background. Once we looked up and saw what was happening everyone fell silent. We were glued to it the rest of the meeting. No work talk was happening. We then drove to work, patients were cancelling appts like crazy. We were watching it all on our computers. It was the quietest day in our office ever.

I was 6 months pregnant. A rocky pregnancy so I had restrictions and only worked half days, I left work got in my car and just cried. I was driving home, I live near the air force base that they took President Bush to. Air Force One was coming for landing as I drove down the interstate, it was surrounded by fighter jets. I thought they are going to kill us all, the next target will be this certain air force base and here I am right next to it. I cried some more thinking I would never meet my son that I was carrying. It was an extremely somber moment that I will never forget.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    I remember everyone panicking and rushing to the gas stations to fill up. There were huge lines at every station. Did that happen everywhere else? It was such a bizarre sight.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I remember everyone panicking and rushing to the gas stations to fill up. There were huge lines at every station. Did that happen everywhere else? It was such a bizarre sight.

Yes. It happened here too.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    9th grade- Mrs. Rich's English class. We didn't do our journal entry that day and were off by one the rest of the year.
  • 2kellymike
    2kellymike Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was working in D.C. I rode to work in a car pool and then took the subway from our parking place to my job. My carpool buddies had to leave without me and I was stuck in D.C. for most of the day. The subway was shut down until about 7 PM. I finally got on the subway and the line I was on passed under the Pentagon, which was still on fire above ground. We went through Pentagon Station very slowly and it was pitch dark in there. People on the subway were crying and praying. It was unforgettable.
  • tkyerxa
    tkyerxa Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I was nine years old. I had stayed home from school, I was pretending to be sick to miss a math test I didn’t study for. My mother invited me out of my bedroom to watch some tv and relax on the couch while she folded laundry. We were laughing at Good Morning America, something funny happened before they swapped to live view cam.

At nine years old, I watched as the first plane hit thr WTC. It was a shock, I looked at my mother who had this horrified look on her face, as she turned to me and tried fumbled with the tv remote to try to change the channel, but she wasn’t able too. We watched as the second plane hit... We live in Canada, not far from the US boarder. My dad worked on the Military base not far from out home, everything shut down.

I never missed another day of school. Until I got to high school, that is.
  • go_cubs
    go_cubs Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I was in first period art class

Everything got quiet and the tv was playing the headlines.. even the birds outside where quiet
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I was in 7th grade math class.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I was in Mrs. Henderson's 7th grade English class. I always thought she looked like you dressed up Yurtle the Turtle as a pilgrim with a bowl cut. The principal came over the PA and told teachers they could "turn on the news to keep up with what was going on". Puzzled, Mrs. Henderson flipped on the dusty old CRT mounted in the corner by the door.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I was at school/college. I remember getting searched a lot after that. And some even close friends of mine were making comments like "deport all Muslims".
  • Jay_d2020
    Jay_d2020 Posts: 2,924 Member
    Options
    I was in auto shop in my junior year of high school, I remember we were doing book work at our desk and they came in and told us to come out in the commons area where they told us what had happened and we watched coverage of it the rest of the day.

I would like to thank all the military, and first responders for their past and present service!