Am I losing too fast again?

Options
zhev3pi0ej1b.png

I posted here a while back about losing hair. Since then I’ve cut my hair and started taking a multi and biotin (my iron & b12 & thyroid were checked and came back fine). My hair is continuing to fall out a lot although not as badly as before.

A recommendation I’ve tried my best to heed is to slow my loss to 1/2-1lb/week. I haven’t quite managed it.

Part of this is because my fitness tracker got lost and I have yet to replace it, so my calories-out are difficult to guess at. I’ve been using my phone for steps but the calories given are very different. I’ve been less strict about hitting my goal - having a few more over days, deciding to just enjoy evenings out at the movies without being worried about being over. And it feels like I’ve had lots of 2000+ days. Which is my “gaining mode”.

Yet it’s still moving down (yay) but I had a new low today I wasn’t expecting and it seems fast. My weight tracking app has said I’ve lost 2.5lbs this week, which is too fast. But maybe I’m reading it incorrectly?? I still find this part confusing so an explanation would be helpful!!

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    A quick look at your diary didn't show anything concerning. What is your current height and weight? Are you logging and eating back exercise calories? 2.5lbs is a lot but your 30 and 90 day averages are ok.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    You really can't go by a 7 day figure. I can lose 7lbs in a week. I can lose 5lbs in a day. This is all due to normal weight fluctuations and very little of that is fat or permanent losses. 7 days from now you might show a gain.

Ok thank you! Sorry for the silly post then, I wasn’t sure.

mmapags wrote: »
    A quick look at your diary didn't show anything concerning. What is your current height and weight? Are you logging and eating back exercise calories? 2.5lbs is a lot but your 30 and 90 day averages are ok.

Thank you! I’m 5’2 today 161.6lbs.

I haven’t been doing any cardio currently other than walking at work and around as transit requires. I do physio every day.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    made a mistake... be right back
  • kiela64
    Options

I’m set to lose 1lb/week.
  • NovusDies
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Ok. My bad. If you are logging food and exercise correctly and you set your MFP weight loss for 1lb per week you would be projected to lose about .5lb in the last 7 days and maintain if you have it set for .5lb per week loss.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kiela64 wrote: »
    You really can't go by a 7 day figure. I can lose 7lbs in a week. I can lose 5lbs in a day. This is all due to normal weight fluctuations and very little of that is fat or permanent losses. 7 days from now you might show a gain.

I haven’t been doing any cardio currently other than walking at work and around as transit requires. I do physio every day.

By physio do you mean physiotherapy? Is is vigorous? Could you be burning some calories that you need to log and eat back?

Other than that, at your weight, height and with the intake you show, there is no obvious reason for the hair loss. You may want to consult a doctor.
  • kiela64
    Options

By physio do you mean physiotherapy? Is is vigorous? Could you be burning some calories that you need to log and eat back?

Other than that, at your weight, height and with the intake you show, there is no obvious reason for the hair loss. You may want to consult a doctor.

It’s possible? I do sweat when I do the exercises but I’m not actually doing the strenuous ones for more than 10min (the rest is stretching and using a heating pad). I don’t think it should be much.

I have already been to the doctor, as I said she checked my b12, thyroid, & iron and they were fine. I’m not asking for medical advice don’t worry! I do plan to follow up. I was just including that so you know why not losing too quickly is something I’m working on - it wouldn’t be an issue otherwise because of troubleshooting the issue.
    Ok. My bad. If you are logging correctly and you set your MFP weight loss for 1lb per week you would be projected to lose about .5lb in the last 7 days and maintain if you have it set for .5lb per week loss.

I’m pretty sure my logging is at least mostly accurate. Meals out & deserts (eg the cake my teacher brought yesterday) are absolute guesses. I use a food scale for things at home.

So there’s a gap there - somewhere in being projected to lose 0.5lb in the last week based on my logging & actually losing more according to the scale.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Is your hair thinning as well as falling out? Just wondering since I lose a ton of hair all the time, but I also grow a ton of hair all the time. What falls out is replaced so I don't have any thinning.
  • kiela64
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Is your hair thinning as well as falling out? Just wondering since I lose a ton of hair all the time, but I also grow a ton of hair all the time. What falls out is replaced so I don't have any thinning.

Yes it’s noticeably thinner now. I had to cut it because the amount that was falling created these giant matted tangles that were very hard to brush out. Massive handfuls. Now it’s shorter it’s less noticeable in that way, but especially on my hairline I can tell it’s thinned out a lot. When it was long I could also see the ponytail circumference was. Down by at least 1/3rd.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Yes it’s noticeably thinner now. I had to cut it because the amount that was falling created these giant matted tangles that were very hard to brush out. Massive handfuls. Now it’s shorter it’s less noticeable in that way, but especially on my hairline I can tell it’s thinned out a lot. When it was long I could also see the ponytail circumference was. Down by at least 1/3rd.

Then yes, this is concerning. It may be coincindental and have nothing to do with your weight loss. I suggest a visit to your doctor to discuss it. I would request some blood work to make sure everything is within normal limits.
  • NovusDies
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So there’s a gap there - somewhere in being projected to lose 0.5lb in the last week based on my logging & actually losing more according to the scale.

Not necessarily. I refer you to my previous post about not trusting 7 day results and how much nonfat fluctuation weight can be gained or lost that can throw off the results.

I did the math so you would have a point of reference. It is entirely possible you only lost the .5lb that your deficit suggests that you should lose and the other 2lbs were just a downturn.

How long have you been trying to slow you rate of loss? Your 30 day and 90 day results show that you have been losing 1.5ish pounds per week.

• kiela64
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    1. Looking at just 7 days could be a water weight fluctuation, so I wouldn't panic over that alone.

2. Remember, MFP's (or any other so-called "calculator's") calorie estimates are just an estimate, and based on limited input at that. Some people burn more (or less) than the "calculators" estimate. It doesn't matter why they do (after any health issues have been ruled out by a doctor, I mean). If you seem to be burning more than estimated, and have no relevant health problems, it could be a higher activity level than estimated, could be fidget-y, could just be some kind of statistical outlier. Doesn't matter.

So, look at your results over 4-6 weeks and adjust based on those. I don't know when in the last 30 days you started eating more, so maybe that rate of roughly 1.5 pounds a week includes a period of lower calorie intake, I dunno. But if you stick to your current approach (while tracking carefully) for a total of 4-6 weeks and continue to lose at that rate, but want to lose at 0.5-1 pound a week, then eat more.

At the point where you have 4-6 weeks of solid, consistently-estimated personal data, that's your truth. For every pound per week slower that you want to lose, add 500 calories daily. It doesn't matter any more whether your exercise tracking is "accurate", it only matters that it's consistent - you're using the same estimating source the same way every time.

It doesn't matter in the slightest at that point how much MFP or a TDEE calculator says you should be eating to maintain or to lose X amount: Your body is the perfect measuring device.

If your exercise is over (or underestimated) and you're losing 1 pound a week too fast, you should be able to safely eat 500 more calories daily, as long as you keep estimating the exercise in the same way, and doing about the same amount. If losing half a pound a week too fast, eat 250 calories more (similar arithmetic for other amounts). It'll be fine.

Thank you! This really illuminated a lot thank you. I was thinking without the steps adjustment I couldn’t know how much extra to eat but this just reminded me, I think you can do custom goals? I’ll add 250 and see how that goes. ❤️❤️

Then yes, this is concerning. It may be coincindental and have nothing to do with your weight loss. I suggest a visit to your doctor to discuss it. I would request some blood work to make sure everything is within normal limits.

Again, thank you, but I have already done this and am in communication with my doctor.

Not necessarily. I refer you to my previous post about not trusting 7 day results and how much nonfat fluctuation weight can be gained or lost that can throw off the results.

I did the math so you would have a point of reference. It is entirely possible you only lost the .5lb that your deficit suggests that you should lose and the other 2lbs were just a downturn.

How long have you been trying to slow you rate of loss? Your 30 day and 90 day results show that you have been losing 1.5ish pounds per week.

I think at least 3 weeks I’ve been trying to eat more. Possibly the last 30 days. It had said 1.75 before; so it’s the right direction but maybe not slow enough yet.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    If your last month is representative of what you're currently doing and you're trying to move to only losing half a pound instead of one and a half a week then you need to add 500 calories a day on average.

Read Ann's post about how and why it doesn't matter what the absolute estimates are if you have consistently gathered results of your own to make decisions on.

You may also want to consider gently asking yourself why it is taking you so long to decide to add enough calories to slow down your loss rate if you actually have decided you want to do so.

You've been discussing trying to slow down for a while now.
  • kiela64
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If your last month is representative of what you're currently doing and you're trying to move to only losing half a pound instead of one and a half a week then you need to add 500 calories a day on average.

Read Ann's post about how and why it doesn't matter what the absolute estimates are if you have consistently gathered results of your own to make decisions on.

You may also want to consider gently asking yourself why it is taking you so long to decide to add enough calories to slow down your loss rate if you actually have decided you want to do so.

You've been discussing trying to slow down for a while now.

I thought I was doing it, and it was showing 1.25 before but with today’s drop it changed & I was worried I hadn’t been doing it effectively after all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    1. Looking at just 7 days could be a water weight fluctuation, so I wouldn't panic over that alone.

2. Remember, MFP's (or any other so-called "calculator's") calorie estimates are just an estimate, and based on limited input at that. Some people burn more (or less) than the "calculators" estimate. It doesn't matter why they do (after any health issues have been ruled out by a doctor, I mean). If you seem to be burning more than estimated, and have no relevant health problems, it could be a higher activity level than estimated, could be fidget-y, could just be some kind of statistical outlier. Doesn't matter.

So, look at your results over 4-6 weeks and adjust based on those. I don't know when in the last 30 days you started eating more, so maybe that rate of roughly 1.5 pounds a week includes a period of lower calorie intake, I dunno. But if you stick to your current approach (while tracking carefully) for a total of 4-6 weeks and continue to lose at that rate, but want to lose at 0.5-1 pound a week, then eat more.

At the point where you have 4-6 weeks of solid, consistently-estimated personal data, that's your truth. For every pound per week slower that you want to lose, add 500 calories daily. It doesn't matter any more whether your exercise tracking is "accurate", it only matters that it's consistent - you're using the same estimating source the same way every time.

It doesn't matter in the slightest at that point how much MFP or a TDEE calculator says you should be eating to maintain or to lose X amount: Your body is the perfect measuring device.

If your exercise is over (or underestimated) and you're losing 1 pound a week too fast, you should be able to safely eat 500 more calories daily, as long as you keep estimating the exercise in the same way, and doing about the same amount. If losing half a pound a week too fast, eat 250 calories more (similar arithmetic for other amounts). It'll be fine.

Thank you! This really illuminated a lot thank you. I was thinking without the steps adjustment I couldn’t know how much extra to eat but this just reminded me, I think you can do custom goals? I’ll add 250 and see how that goes. ❤️❤️

Again, thank you, but I have already done this and am in communication with my doctor.

I think at least 3 weeks I’ve been trying to eat more. Possibly the last 30 days. It had said 1.75 before; so it’s the right direction but maybe not slow enough yet.

Adding 250 should get you to losing half a pound a week slower . . . but be aware that the slowing may (possibly, maybe) be not quite that much. Anecdotally, some people seem more sensitive than others to added calories . . . I'm not saying I think you'll gain or anything, I'm saying there's a small chance that adding calories could perk up your daily-life energy level, re-energize your workouts, increase your TDEE a little, and result in your losing still a little faster than you'd expect at increased calories. Maybe, maybe not - no guarantees. Either way, you need the 4-6 weeks average to see what's happening.

Also, though 250 is fairly small, keep in mind that you're adding a little extra average digestive system contents, and likely a few more carbs/extra sodium, so you could see a temporary water-weight jump on the scale, until things balance out. Don't panic, wait it out, hold out for the 4-6 week results. The only time to bail early from a new regimen is if you have negative symptoms like weakness or fatigue telling you you could be undereating. Otherwise, wait through a whole monthly cycle plus a little (if premenopausal female) to get a solid average (men or fully post-menopausal women might see a valid trend a little sooner).

You can do this! :)
  • kiela64
    Options

Adding 250 should get you to losing half a pound a week slower . . . but be aware that the slowing may (possibly, maybe) be not quite that much. Anecdotally, some people seem more sensitive than others to added calories . . . I'm not saying I think you'll gain or anything, I'm saying there's a small chance that adding calories could perk up your daily-life energy level, re-energize your workouts, increase your TDEE a little, and result in your losing still a little faster than you'd expect at increased calories. Maybe, maybe not - no guarantees. Either way, you need the 4-6 weeks average to see what's happening.

Also, though 250 is fairly small, keep in mind that you're adding a little extra average digestive system contents, and likely a few more carbs/extra sodium, so you could see a temporary water-weight jump on the scale, until things balance out. Don't panic, wait it out, hold out for the 4-6 week results. The only time to bail early from a new regimen is if you have negative symptoms like weakness or fatigue telling you you could be undereating. Otherwise, wait through a whole monthly cycle plus a little (if premenopausal female) to get a solid average (men or fully post-menopausal women might see a valid trend a little sooner).

You can do this! :)

Again, thank you so much!!! I found this all very confusing- probably much more confusing than someone in a masters level program truly should have. I wouldn’t have even known I was losing so fast before until someone on here (possibly you) pointed it out from the screenshots. Despite having the happy scale data in front of me 😂

• NovusDies
    Options
    So I looked at 4 weeks of your diary.

Eating calories averages:
    last 7 1802
    prev 7 1916
    prev 7 1673
    prev 7 1681

What you should have lost based on food deficit:
    last7 .5lb
    prev7 1lb
    prev7 1.7lb
    prev7 1.2

That totals to a little over 4.5lbs and your scale report says 6.5.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    Options
    So I looked at 4 weeks of your diary.

Eating calories averages:
    last 7 1802
    prev 7 1916
    prev 7 1673
    prev 7 1681

What you should have lost based on food deficit:
    last7 .5lb
    prev7 1lb
    prev7 1.7lb
    prev7 1.2

That totals to a little over 4.5lbs and your scale report says 6.5.

Which means that +250 puts her closer to a 1lb a week pace and +500 puts her closer to a 0.5lb a week place.

Because of how trending weight apps work, the actual slow down (or speed up) will start taking place a few days before it starts being clearly reflected in the app.