is your birthday a "big deal"?

Options

Replies

• MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Might go to Vegas next year. Went for my 30th and had a blast and might go again for 35. I make it a big deal to myself and don't really care if anyone else wants to be a part of it. I do what I do. I'll party with strangers versus family/friends that wanna **** on my parade, lol.
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You betcha... It is the day after Halloween.... all candy is 1/2 off :bigsmile:

:bigsmile:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate mine. As far as I'm concerned, I had nothing to do with it. If anyone should get attention on a birthday, it's the mother - she did all the work.

It really makes no sense: Let's throw you a party to celebrate that you were squeezed through a birth canal while covered in goo!

Haha! My friend calls her son's birthday her "labor day".

That's hilarious! :laugh:

Yep, she actually just celebrated it earlier this week.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I like to go out to lunch or dinner with my family. Of course, I make them promise not to ask the waiters to sing to me, but I don't always get my wish. :tongue: Other than that, I don't do much for my birthday.

For other people's birthdays, however, I like to go all out for them.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    at my age I am just glad to have a birthday:blushing:
  • humanismu
    humanismu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    21st coming up in a month and it is THE BIGGEST DEAL EVER
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It would be nice it people acknowledged it but it has been years since anyone has done anything more than a message on fb.

It is funny my relatives expect lavish gifts and praise from me every holiday but these same people hardly ever do anything for me.

I have a son that sends me flowers sometimes and I really appreciate that.

I just do cool things for myself on holidays.
  • MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel like as we age theres a mixed reactions to birthdays some people throw,a big party others dont even mention it .

What do you do for yours? I just go out with a few friends, and dont tell everyone its my bday but i have a friend who made a facebook event for her 24th birthday in october back in may.

I think all birthdays should be a big deal. It's the day that you were brought into this world. It's special. I make a big deal out of my loved ones' birthdays as do they for me. It's a day to celebrate you regardless of your age. People put too much weight on the number, the weight should be put on the day...for if it weren't for that the, the person wouldn't be here. If you really care about and love the person that is a day to celebrate.
  • MommaSari
    Options
    I like to go out to lunch or dinner with my family. Of course, I make them promise not to ask the waiters to sing to me, but I don't always get my wish. :tongue: Other than that, I don't do much for my birthday.

I "Ask" the same thing, however, I secretly like it. :)
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    All birthdays in our family are celebrated by going out to a restaurant. Birthday person picks when and where. I'll be 59 next month, so actually I will celebrate that I am one year closer to drawing Social Security!

Also, I'm the baker in the family and always bake the birthday cakes for everyone in the family. When mine comes around, we just order dessert at the restaurant. LOL
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Nope. The only people who know when my birthday is are my immediate family, and they never do anything for me.
  • MommaSari
    Options
    Nothing more irritating than an adult trying to make a big deal of their own birthday. Uhg. I turn 40 in ten days. Nothing planned and that's how I want it. Birthday celebrations are for my kids.

I find that sad.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

I "Ask" the same thing, however, I secretly like it. :)

If the momentary embarrassment is followed by the amazing Mile High Mud Pie (for free!) at one of the restaurants I like, I don't mind the singing. :wink:
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Not a big deal, just another day except that I'm one year older (which sucks). My daughter on the other hand has a birthday week not just one day..lol Matter of fact, mine was two days ago and I told no one on here. LOL
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No. They depress me now.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It used to be a "big deal"; not so much now but from time-to-time I get congratulated for living to see another year. :tongue:

8488541.png
  • JeepBaja
    JeepBaja Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    My birthday is on 9/11. Between the people who say "oh I bet your birthday is not very fun now" to the odd looks at the local Irish bar when we "celebrate" makes for interesting birthdays these days.

The terrorist won. They ruined my birthday!!!!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    mine is exactly 7 day from my moms b-day we just do one cake together no real big thing. it just another day
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mine was yesterday. Same as every day except ate lunch out.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    A guy I work with is SO funny about his birthday. He even takes holidays every year & gets really grumpy when people mention it & even got fiery when someone brought in a cake for him.

I'm cool with it. I'm jealous about not ever having had a big deal for my birthday because I'm a Christmas Eve baby. So usually everyone is too busy, on holidays, etc. etc. etc. I did always get compensated by my folks though, extra extra presents instead of combined.