How to attain a slender look

Options
I'm not sure if anyone has already shared this in the forums. It answers a lot of questions that I see come up a lot in the forums. It's a very good article for people that have this goal and for others to consider when giving advice. The article is by Bret Contreras. This thread will go much better if people take the time to read the article before replying (unless just bumping to read later) because I'm not summarizing it. Also, I did not write this article (don't shoot the messenger, please and thank you).

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Replies

• Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    "In the US, the average daily caloric intake is around 3,770 calories." Seriously?? Wow...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This is a very well thought out and balanced article - not surprising considering the source.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love me some Bret!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Good stuff. Inoffensive and helpful. Me likes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Oh good! Glad people are liking it. The article is very good and an excellent source. I was worried people might have a knee-jerk type of reaction to the title alone, but the content of the article is excellent.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Oh good! Glad people are liking it. The article is very good and an excellent source. I was worried people might have a knee-jerk type of reaction to the title alone, but the content of the article is excellent.

Hopefully people will see and be aware of the author and take the time to read it. It's long'ish but worth it as it touches on quite a few points that come up here.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

Hopefully people will see and be aware of the author and take the time to read it. It's long'ish but worth it as it touches on quite a few points that come up here.

Yeah, I was thinking some people might find it too long. But, it's worth the read.
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    bump to read later
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, what a great article!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    You're Welcome!
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    "In the US, the average daily caloric intake is around 3,770 calories." Seriously?? Wow...

That was my take-home, as well. I can't believe it! If I ate that much I'd put on somewhere around 3.5lbs a week!

OP...women aren't allowed to want to be slender and soft on MFP. You know that.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I enjoyed the article and it was very informative.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I shared the article on facebook and one of my friends said, "He sure does seem focused on the glutes :smile: ". So, I explained his back story and she said, "That makes sense then. Without the background it was just kind of like 'whoa, butts in ma face.'" :laugh:

Oh, and then my husband just told me he thought it was going to be a funny flow chart, and he clicked on it at work and then he saw all these scantily clad ladies, and he had to click away quickly.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about him. What's his back story?
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't know anything about him. What's his back story?

Oh, mainly just that he is known as "The Glute Guy". He has some info on his web site and in his book Strong Curves. He had a flat butt as a teen, so he got really into working the glutes, and realized the importance of that, and now he trains a lot of women (because women have a tendency to want a shapely booty).
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This is a good article. And thanks for posting it. While I respect the sexy and ripped women (they look fantastic!), it's tiring to constantly see anyone who wants to be slender be chastised and told they should want to look muscular.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...... Looks interesting!
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    From the article. This is awesome...

My primary advice to ladies seeking the “slender model look,” however, is the following:

Wait until you start getting “bulky” or “overly muscular” until you decide to switch up your training.

Start off training just like other fit women. Wait til you get too bulky to admonish heavy strength training. Many women never bulk up or develop bulging muscles. This is why the typical strength training advice – to focus on progressive overload on a handful of primary movement patterns – works for a good percentage of women.

Moreover, any muscle that a women packs on will elevate their metabolic rate and help them lose bodyfat. So the training itself and the adaptations the training imposes will help women reduce their bodyfat levels and improve body composition.

Fantastic article, thanks for sharing that. I need to lose some weight and want to slim down but maintain my curves so I've actually saved that webpage to keep referring to.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I shared the article on facebook and one of my friends said, "He sure does seem focused on the glutes :smile: ". So, I explained his back story and she said, "That makes sense then. Without the background it was just kind of like 'whoa, butts in ma face.'" :laugh:

Oh, and then my husband just told me he thought it was going to be a funny flow chart, and he clicked on it at work and then he saw all these scantily clad ladies, and he had to click away quickly.

Ha! I read that article, it's great, the author's always great but extra great in that one. The flow chart is hilarious, though. He had to have done it in Paint.