How do you weigh your banana?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Well, since about a hundred people here are telling you the same thing over and over again, I may as well add my two cents: peel the banana, and weigh the rest, then uh, eat it. :)

101. I don't mess around with the peel though. I tare out a plate and put the naked banana on it to weigh.

This is what I do, followed by "tare" and adding peanut butter.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I dont weigh my bananas. I use MFP entries "small", "medium", or "large".

So, how exactly do you guys eat a banana??

I hold a banana in my hand and half peel It, start eating from the top, and pull the peel down some more as necessary.

I never remove the peel all at once unless I'm adding the banana to cereal or something.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I prefer to peel the banana, weigh it, then use the "banana - banana sliced" entry from the food database using the peeled banana weight.

I prefer to do the same with other fruit I eat like apples (since I don't eat the core & use the "apple slices" database entry) or with other fruit (like oranges) as long as there's an appropriate entry to pick from the food database.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    My inner boy/ child came out when I read the title and giggled a little....
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh it, just buy small bananas
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh it, just buy small bananas

Funny thing here is supermarkets sell bananas by weight (with skin on). Roadside vendors and farmer's markets sell by unit, so slightly different sizes for the same price per banana.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Frazdogg wrote: »
    I can’t believe how many people weigh with peel, eat, then weigh peel. Just take the peel off, weigh it, and eat it. It’s like people who back into parking spaces. It just wastes everyone’s time and is unnecessary.

Disagree on the parking spaces. Backing out of a parking space is dangerous to pedestrians who aren't in your line of sight.

I read an article on that the other day. It questioned why backing in isn't the norm as they have lots of data to back up what appears obvious - backing in is safer. To be more correct, backing out is not nearly as safe. The article I read used accidents with other cars rather than pedestrians. The percentage of cars that pulled forward into a spot that got into an accident leaving the space was several times higher than it was for those backed in. Not just several percentage points - several times higher. And it used percentages, not raw numbers because most people park head in.
  • OY74NmFGBL
    OY74NmFGBL Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    without the peel
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I just weigh the peeled banana. Easy.
  • ishurao
    ishurao Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i just ask her !
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I can’t believe how many people weigh with peel, eat, then weigh peel. Just take the peel off, weigh it, and eat it. It’s like people who back into parking spaces. It just wastes everyone’s time and is unnecessary.

How does it waste anyone else's time? It is much easier to pull out of the space forward, you have better visibility to pull out moving forward, With all the new technology in cars and back up warning systems I would still back in a space.

I worked for a company that required you to back into a parking space when you drove a company vehicle.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Because many of us eat a banana out of hand, peeling it as we go. Or we weigh the banana at home, bring it with us to work, eat it at work, then weigh the peel at home.

Do you eat it with a fork? Or get banana remnant on your hand picking it up after you've tossed the handy carrier?

To the question posed up thread, I find the peel usually weighs 40-50g, maybe a bit more if there's a lot of stem left on your particular banana. :smile:
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options

Gotta back up sometime.

I’d rather back into a space with little chance of traffic than to back into the aisle where people are in such a hurry they cannot be bothered to let you out.

Time needed is the same, just used at different times.

Therefore, it’s not a waste of time.

But the best is when you can find a spot where you can pull through and not need to back at either end of the session.
  • johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For a minute I thought they broke the forums again, and I was seeing posts from chit-chat.

Never mind. Carry on.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    I am diligent in logging but am not so obsessive about it that I precisely weigh and measure everything thing I eat.

This may not work for others but it has worked well enough for me and, as with most fruit, I just log the cals for a banana based on whether it's either small, medium or large.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I don't always want to mess up a plate or waste a paper towel just to weigh a peeled banana, and I'm not going to sit it naked directly on my food scale. Thus the weigh, tare, peel method.

But paper towel is evil...