Friend got the sleeve, losing rapidly.. Bitter

Options
Hi I'm at my heaviest weight and decided to go on a diet when I hit the "170" on the scale., a
A friend of mine ( a month earlier) decided to get the sleeve at 200 lb. Same height.

She's lost 55 lbs in like 2 months. Meanwhile I've been busting my butt and I've lost 5 lb in 1 month!

I can't help but feel bitter above the "easy way". it just seems unfair. Constant social media posts about how much she's lost that week and all these people saying what a "great job" she doing.

I know it's not rational but it makes me feel totally discourage from even continuing to try. I've given up eating everything I enjoy and I'm not seeing as much progress as I would like to. Like right now I'm eating a piece of fish and some sweet potato. Normally I would be ordering Chinese food. And tomorrow the scale will barely show any difference....

Anyway just a rant. I can't say it publicly I don't want to offend anyone I know. I just don't feel like cutting your stomach in half is something that everyone should be congratulating as "hard work paying off".

I tried to ask her what her diet was and all she told me was she eats two cups of food a day. Wtf does that even mean....

I know I sound horrible like I can't be happy for other people but I just am bitter....and hungry.

Replies

• stewarm01
    stewarm01 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Natural vs "other", read this post as well.
  • ashleyjloss85
    ashleyjloss85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It may help to think about whats your friend is not posting on her social media. My guess is there's plenty of stuff she's leaving out, like maybe:
    - Pain and other aftereffects of the surgery.
    - Her "two cups of food" are what? Some liquid pseudo-milkshake that she is rapidly growing sick of?
    - She may feel weak, nervous, shaky, and tired, and have mood swings and difficulty concentrating.
    - I don't know what happens in the bathroom after WLS; but I imagine it's not all, shall we say, easy going.
    - Rapid weight loss is hard on the skin. If she's not younger than about 30, she's probably looking at new masses of wrinkles and making unfavorable comparison to her mother (or grandmother).
    - Her desk is probably snowed in under drifts of medical bills and insurance paperwork
    - Can she get around and exercise yet, or is she stuck indoors with limited mobility?

She's just posting the very best little parts of what's going on with her. It's like the old iceberg analogy: what you see is brilliant white peaks glittering in the sun - but there's a lot more going on beneath the surface, and that stuff can be very dark and unpleasant.
    It may help to think about whats your friend is not posting on her social media. My guess is there's plenty of stuff she's leaving out, like maybe:
    - Pain and other aftereffects of the surgery.
    - Her "two cups of food" are what? Some liquid pseudo-milkshake that she is rapidly growing sick of?
    - She may feel weak, nervous, shaky, and tired, and have mood swings and difficulty concentrating.
    - I don't know what happens in the bathroom after WLS; but I imagine it's not all, shall we say, easy going.
    - Rapid weight loss is hard on the skin. If she's not younger than about 30, she's probably looking at new masses of wrinkles and making unfavorable comparison to her mother (or grandmother).
    - Her desk is probably snowed in under drifts of medical bills and insurance paperwork
    - Can she get around and exercise yet, or is she stuck indoors with limited mobility?

She's just posting the very best little parts of what's going on with her. It's like the old iceberg analogy: what you see is brilliant white peaks glittering in the sun - but there's a lot more going on beneath the surface, and that stuff can be very dark and unpleasant.

She said insurance covered everything. And as far as I can see she's not exercising but she's goofing around jumping up and down wrestling with kids so.... seems all fine and dandy over there
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's official, you are human. I can appreciate your feelings just make sure you don't unpack and stay an extended period of time. Life is too short to worry what others are doing. You are doing great and will ultimately have more freedom and choice provided you stay the course. Tired of what you are eating? Change it up and fit into your calorie goal.

Good luck.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Completely agree with you, @rdmitch

@ashleyjloss85 If those posts hurt, you can un-follow someone on social media without unfriend that person.

Have to say, 5lbs. being 170 pounds is really good, believe me. I have more or less your stats and I'm loosing a pound or less than a pound per week. I'm not expert, but the more experience users always say that when someone tries to loose too much weight in a short period of time, they end up loosing muscle and messing up their hormones. You don't want to do that to your body. Get support here, read the pinned posts in the different categories, add other users for support and keep going. You will get there. x
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I know several people who did this surgery and there have been issues that have crept into their lives. This surgery causes lack of serious nutrients being absorbed and don't make me mention hair loss on several of them with bald spots!
    Be grateful because you can lose weight at a healthy rate and absorb nutrients.
    Yes...there is a piper to pay on decisions we may make. ........but.....some decisions the piper pays us.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    rdmitch wrote: »
    I don’t post much here, just prefer to watch, learn and keep my opinions to myself. I will tell you that my wife had gastric bypass over 15 years ago and lost a lot of weight. She kept it off and to this date has been at her ideal weight.
    But...she can never eat normal, has blood sugar issues, gets sick if she eats fast, can’t go to a restaurant since she will end up in the bathroom typically. Life has never been the same or even close to normal for her in terms of eating. Not to say that that happens to all people but I sure would have preferred if she would have gone a better route to dropping weight...

A very good friend of mine had WLS and experienced many of the same problems. I'm not bitter or envious in the least (quite the opposite, in fact) - I'm perfectly happy to have taken a little more time to lose the weight and experienced none of the ongoing difficulties he had and continues to have. And I didn't cut any foods out of my diet - just ate less of some things and more of others.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Five pounds in one month is awesome. It is so not worth comparing your results with your friend's. I had the WLS surgery and though the "honeymoon" period is glorious, especially for people like me where the weight was crippling, there is a lot of work that goes in to preparing for surgery and getting enough calories in....for life.