Cardio

Options
Did 3.5 miles on the treadmill today. Part walk part run. Trying to do this at least 3 days a week. And add some strength and conditioning afterwards.

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Nice work! Keep it going :smile:
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Did 30 mins of cardio on the elliptical.

Machine shows me a different calorie burn then MFP. Which one should I go by ... shrugs.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    90 minutes on the bike, 18 hilly miles. In short sleeves. It's getting cold.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,882 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »

Machine shows me a different calorie burn then MFP. Which one should I go by ... shrugs.

Whichever is lower.

I don't "do cardio", because that sounds sooo grim. ;)

This morning I rowed (on water) for about an hour, in a double shell with my rowing buddy J, about 7km. So fun!

Tomorrow: Spin class. :)
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Rowed on the water this evening for about an hour in an 8 - it was the first class in learn to row two. We're in the evening because of how dark it is in the morning and needless to say, I have a new appreciation for rowing in the morning (it's so much better than in the early evening). Nothing as strenuous as AnnPT77 but lots of work on technique which was great.

The plan for tomorrow morning is either Zwift or running - I haven't decided.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Whichever is lower.

I don't "do cardio", because that sounds sooo grim. ;)

This morning I rowed (on water) for about an hour, in a double shell with my rowing buddy J, about 7km. So fun!

Tomorrow: Spin class. :)

I find spin class to be grim I like things at my own pace by myself.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

@vanityy99
    Your elliptical knows more about your intensity level than MFP. At least the calories would be proportionate if not accurate.

But elliptical estimates can vary from well thought out and reasonable through to ludicrously exaggerated.
    The old adage "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" works. Some manufacturers will test a selection of people in a lab to come up with a calorie table, some will just aim to convince people their machine is a magical calorie burning device....

You could try to calibrate yourself with a more accurate method such as running (use a weight/distance formula), using a power meter equipped bike, a Concept2 rower (using their calculator not the machine readout)....