Help! First week and no weight loss!

I started my diet and exercise plan last week. I am doing 1200 calories and going to the gym 5 days a week doing 45 minutes cardio and 45 weights. I have not lost one LB!!
Whats going on? I keep track of everything i eat and dont cheat either. I need help. Why havent i lost a lb?

Replies

• JorrunFulhelm
    JorrunFulhelm Posts: 42 Member
    take your time, this is a marathon not a sprint-so to speak! True, sustainable weight loss happens slowly over time. There is no 1 week or even 1 month magic cure! Log accurately, get enough sleep and water, make better habits and it will show!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    This would be a good time to learn the various ins and outs of weight loss. I suggest reading any of these that apply to you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads

I can't promise that understanding the process will always eliminate frustration but knowing what is going on should help especially when your scale is being uncooperative which is going to happen a good deal of the time.

It is very important that you didn't choose 1200 calories because you heard that was a good number to lose weight. You should put your information into MFP and eat the number of calories it recommends + at least half of your exercise calories (to begin).

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    OP - slow down and take stock of what matters and what doesn't. One week is not enough for any assessment, so be patient. Re-assess the changes you've made and ensure these are sustainable for your lifetime, not just a few weeks.

How much do you have to lose?

@quiksylver296 is dead on here. I finished back to back Spartan races earlier this year followed by some salty meals and ended up 10 lbs heavier due to water and glycogen weight. 16oz water weighs ~ 1lb and we are ~55% water. You're concerned with fat loss, so hydrate and wait 5-7 days and then weigh yourself again. Note the same thing happens with hormonal shifts, TOM, etc. so don't let discouraged in these moments.

There is no measurable difference between 45 mins cardio and splitting this up to 2 sessions of 23 mins.
  • cgibson522
    cgibson522 Posts: 31 Member
    I didn't see any results until about day 9 of using MFP and even had a day where I gained 2lbs. After about 9-10 days I saw a 2.5 lb drop which I sustained for several days to show actual weight loss. Even by eating at a calorie deficit, it can take a week + to burn 3500 calories. Those results won't happen over night!
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Usually takes me 9-12 days to see scale results on a cut. Just be persistent and know that you’re doing the right thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    edited September 2018
    My scale went up seven pounds when I started lifting weights again. Water retention.

How many pounds do you want to lose? Is 1200 actually an appropriate calorie goal for you? Unless you are very very short, it's lower than you need to go, and under eating can lead to binging.

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    I haven't seen any results in a month.
  • rfreitas1848
    rfreitas1848 Posts: 176 Member
    I've found that, for me at least, the best measurement of progress is how my clothes fit. I used to look at the scale but found that 90% of the time, it just disappointed me and killed my motivation - for the same reasons everyone stated. Good luck!
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    I didn't see any movement for an entire month. Sometimes nothing happens for 2 weeks.

Stick to the process and it will work. Also, 1,200 calories is too low for most people, I'm 5'4 and eat more like 1,500 calories. Make sure you eat back the exercise calories!