Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is there a "set weight" for people?

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,098 Member
    I dropped to 105 5'8 pretty easily and quickly (not on purpose) and I'm pretty sure if set point was true bmi 15.9 would be no where near mine.

You have a medical condition that your body has trouble digesting and using fats... yes?
  • carbos101
    carbos101 Posts: 48 Member
    Great post and thank you, quiksylver, for taking time to highlight sarah's link re/food scale. I'm lost re/calories to add in once I'm working out, walking, etc., but will at least start using scale.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jrochest wrote: »
    It's not the reason you stop losing or hit a plateau though! From what I've read, it's what 'sets' your highest or your most naturally stable weight - the one you return to when you regain.

Funny - I was at my highest weight ever in my life at age 53 when I began my weight loss three years ago - and still climbing. Unless my “natural set point” was somewhere higher than I’d ever been before, there was no evidence of it stabilizing anywhere.

Your “set point” will be determined by your calorie intake balanced against your expenditure. Those are voluntary actions.

Same same same, except I think I came here before you and lurked a bit.

I was up and down the scale for years and always put pounds back on with additional friends. Now? I weigh less than I did when I was in 8th grade. I struggle with vanity weight and do go through phases of putting weight back on, but it's that same silly 10 pounds. I think most people consider that maintenance. I haven't gone further off the rails than that, but if you were to predict going by my last attempts, I'd have gained all of my weight back by now and then some.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Set Point is a concept not a robotic fixed point that a human can not change. Even our gene expressions are not "fixed" because they can vary based on our way of thinking, eating and moving we now understand from epigenetics.

I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.

canada35.gif?w=350&h=300

#thereisnospoon
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Set Point is a concept not a robotic fixed point that a human can not change. Even our gene expressions are not "fixed" because they can vary based on our way of thinking, eating and moving we now understand from epigenetics.

I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.

canada35.gif?w=350&h=300

Well you beat me by .5".
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member

I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.

canada35.gif?w=350&h=300

Well you beat me by .5".

Didn't work. I'm still 5'8"

In that case I beat you by 1.5" until I started shrinking.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member

I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.

canada35.gif?w=350&h=300

You're tall in my eyes, anyway. <3
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member

I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.
    I am six feet tall.

canada35.gif?w=350&h=300

You're tall in my eyes, anyway. <3

tenor.gif