Intermittent Fasting Friends

Options
I've been intermittent fasting for almost a month and I am loving it! I have never had a better relationship with food before now. I would really love some friends that are also doing it, it can be really difficult to fast on the weekend sometimes.
Also anyone who would love to start or is curious about it!

Replies

• showjack70
    showjack70 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    smsal890 wrote: »
    I've been intermittent fasting for almost a month and I am loving it! I have never had a better relationship with food before now. I would really love some friends that are also doing it, it can be really difficult to fast on the weekend sometimes.

I IF most days.... Have been for years. Feel free to add me :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Intermittent fasting doesn't really mean fasting (hence "intermittent"), it just means eating within one of several arbitrarily set "feeding windows", that you not only can decide for yourself, but also is just supposed to stop you from eating all the time, which is not a problem is itself, but often associated with eating too much, and it's eating too much that is the real problem for most people. Hard to grasp, I know; I expect some woo's!
  • Twinnbuxx
    Twinnbuxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    smsal890 wrote: »

I do as well! This is perfect!
  • Tlasublime_83
    Tlasublime_83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I,am,too
  • FitnTrimSteve
    FitnTrimSteve Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting doesn't really mean fasting (hence "intermittent"), it just means eating within one of several arbitrarily set "feeding windows", that you not only can decide for yourself, but also is just supposed to stop you from eating all the time, which is not a problem is itself, but often associated with eating too much, and it's eating too much that is the real problem for most people. Hard to grasp, I know; I expect some woo's!

WOOOOO!!
    :)
  • Jwanguy
    Jwanguy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am curious.
  • kenthepainter2
    kenthepainter2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I do IF but I also restrict to 2000 cal a day and do some exercise
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I gave you the obligatory woo reaction for saying "woo' in your post >:)

QFT - many people find IF useful for managing calories and satiety, but you still have to do the work.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I getting started with IF and trying to do 16:8. I am also restricting calories so I’m not sure if it’s CICO, IF or both.
  • Rachelcookiemonster
    Options
    I did the 5:2 a couple of years back, lost loads of weight. But you do have to keep it up long term. As when I stopped I put all the weight back on and more. I've tried doing it again since but my body is having none of it.
  • kaseybuber
    kaseybuber Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Question: if I were to IF, with my eating window being 12-8, am I allowed coffee (black) in the morning?
  • Tshirt19
    Tshirt19 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    kaseybuber wrote: »
    Question: if I were to IF, with my eating window being 12-8, am I allowed coffee (black) in the morning?

Yep
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    I getting started with IF and trying to do 16:8. I am also restricting calories so I’m not sure if it’s CICO, IF or both.
    CICO is just calories in-calories out, the process by which a person (or any animal) loses, gains or maintains weight. If you're restricting calories so much that your calories in becomes fewer than your calories out, and do it for some time, you'll lose weight. Reducing number of meals, or meal sizes, or meal composition, or counting calories, or eating low carb or low fat, or exercising a lot, are all strategies to eat less than you burn. But if you don't accept that you have to eat less, you can easily eat fewer but larger meals, or smaller but more calorie dense meals, or smaller meals but eat more often, or reward yourself with food for exercising, or any other combination often referred to as "self sabotage", and not lose weight.

I'm wondering about trying to do 16:8. It's not a particularly difficult thing to do, but it's also not a particularly necessary thing to do.

I started reading the Obesity Code and the author does not subscribe to the CICO theory and touts that IF without calorie restriction will lead to various health improvements and weight loss. I am not finished the book and I do believe that calories need to be restricted but I wonder if fasting is synergistic or if it really just my calories.

Fasting 16 hours may not be particularly difficult for some. But for others it can be a challenge. My last meal was at 6:15 last night. Today, I had a meetings from 9:00 to 12:30. My choice was to eat at 8:45 or wait until I got back in the office at 12:15. So, I ate at 8:45 because I would be overly hungry if I waited which could have led to poor choices. I do not always have the ability or opportunity to snack at or between meetings which does make the 16 hours more difficult. I also cannot realistically stop eating any later than 6:00. So, I try to fast for 16 hours.
  • jgundz
    jgundz Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    I've been intermittent fasting, and fell off the wagon a bit...trying to get back on it. Feel free to add me!
  • insideoutgirl
    insideoutgirl Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just started it kinda by accident. But I think it’s helpful so far. I am eating 1400 per day (or trying...). I’m in
  • stefanipalin
    stefanipalin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m just starting my IF journey. I’ve lost 9lbs so far but at a pretty slow rate as I’ve been working out and eating about 1200-1300 cals per day for about 2 months. So I’m trying IF to kick it up a notch...I’d still like to lose another 11lbs.

I heard that during the fast period, we can only drink clear liquids/anything with zero calories (like preworkout drinks) but these drinks have sucralose in them :/ Do you think they’re still okay to drink during the fasting period?
  • Mosstradamuz
    Mosstradamuz Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You made a great choice with intermittent fasting! I'm down 26 pounds in 2 months with intermittent fasting. It is the real deal! Cheers to a healthier future! :)
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I do a 3 hour fasting window and eat 21 but so far no results. :'(