weight lifting and protein shake?

Options
13»

Replies

• ladyshellbelle
    ladyshellbelle Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have one an hour before and then one immediately after..works for me. Chelle
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Yeah, timing isn't that important but I'm in the habit of 40 grams of protein within an hour of training.

..... old habits
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Yeah, timing isn't that important but I'm in the habit of 40 grams of protein within an hour of training.

..... old habits

Well it won't hurt you any and if that's what you prefer, go for it. It's just not a requirement. I do the same thing. I do it just because I work out late morning and by the time I get home, it's time for some nutrition.
  • GreatApe2017
    GreatApe2017 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Protein timing is probably mostly irrelevant.

You don't grow muscle just after a workout you grow muscle for the next 48 hours so you need a steady stream of protein rather than need it straight after a workout.

Having said that I've read a quick high dose of fast absorbing proteins gives you an insulin spike and that insulin is the signal for cells to take in nutrition and grow so maybe there is a benefit in taking a fast absorbing protein shake but it's probably marginal and it's probably more important to just be consistent with lifting and give it time
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Ok there has been lots of studies done on this and best time is before and after workout. This is the time your muscles will absorb as much protein as possible.

Care to link these supposed studies? Cuz it doesn’t matter

• 4Pop
    4Pop Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Ok there has been lots of studies done on this and best time is before and after workout. This is the time your muscles will absorb as much protein as possible.

Care to link these supposed studies? Cuz it doesn’t matter

Most likely studies done by someone in the supplement business.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have mine during, because I get thirsty. Sometimes protein shakes can make people a little nauseated, though, so maybe your trainer just doesn't want you barfing on him like one of those deadlifting videos on Youtube.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake every day for my late-morning breakfast but that's just because I'm super lazy and don't want to make myself real food lol. You don't NEED a protein shake at all but I like them because it's super easy, and as long as I've had one, I'm pretty much guaranteed to get enough protein that day (I'm a meat eater as well). When I drink it has nothing to do with when I work out.
  • Rabbit91476
    Rabbit91476 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I’m 5 8 165. Eat 180-200g of protein with ease. I have two tubs of syntha 6. Taste great. Buts more for convience. I’d rather eat my calories. Feel fuller longer. But I like doing my calisthenics on fairly empty stomach. So a protein shake. Is simpler sometimes. But unless you a 300#. Muscle head. I don’t think it’s necessary
  • chrisvedral
    chrisvedral Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of protein shakes unless their free.