Logging food & measurements

Options
Hello, I wasn't sure which form to post this in so if it's not allowed here let me know. I'm having such a problem with logging some of my foods and it's taking way too long trying to figure it out. Can someone please tell me why they don't include measurements like 1/3, 1/4 cup etc... or table/teaspoons in the list of servings? Is there a forum that discusses the logging food process? Thank you for your help.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone so I can't link, but check out the Most Helpful Posts thread pinned to the top of the General Health and Fitness forum, there are a couple about logging in there!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of the database entries are user entered, so the serving size list is based on what the user who created the entry used.

Either way, volume measurements are considered highly inaccurate for calorie counting. It is more accurate to use entries by weight (usually in grams), and weigh your portions.

So if the entry serving weight is 50g and you had 75g (weighed on your food scale), you'd enter 1.5 servings.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ya, it is a pain. I use a kitchen scale and weigh my portions out. I find that many of the foods are listed by weight plus it is more accurate than measuring cups. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    You've probably already figured this out, but just in case not: Be sure to check the drop-down on the serving size. There are a bunch of solid database entries that show 1C as the serving on the scrolling display when you search foods, but if you select them and use the serving-size drop-down, there's a variety of options that appear (including weights (in grams or ounces) and counts (1 med apple) in some cases). Many entries that intially show ounces (weight, not fluid) will also have grams in the drop-down.

It also helps if you know your equivalencies, like 3 tsp = 1 Tblsp, 1 oz. by weight = 28 grams approx, that sort of thing.

Obviously, if you have a fractional measurement, you can use the decimal equivalent, like if the database serving is 1C, and you have a quarter cup, just change the number of servings from 1 (of 1C) to 0.25 (of one cup), or 0.333 servings for 1/3 cup.

Truly, the easiest way to do this is to get a digital food scale (a decent one can be had for around $20-ish), and weigh everything. Once you get your recent/frequent foods populated with things measured in grams, it's super-simple.