What work outs to lose tummy fat?

Options
What work outs to lose tummy fat? I want to lose my stomach. What work outs should I be doing?

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Our bodies determine where we lose fat from first and last. Lose fat overall. Also, because us women have this thing called a uterus, a truly flat stomach is rarely possible without "sucking in" and posing. Some women can get there (genetics), most of us just deal with the little extra pouch that isn't fat, just our body's.

To reduce fat, simply eat fewer calories than you use.

I gave you a "like" to counteract your "woo" - although I'd choose to see that as a "woohoo, what great advice!" ;)

And here's the link to that "uterus" post, in case OP would like to see some REAL bellies. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

(And may I add, @VUA21 , that your own photos in there are amazing and very reassuring! Seeing how big a difference just posing etc. can make to a woman's appearance made me feel much better that my belly is not (and probably never will be) anything like the magazines try to make one think it "should" look. :) )
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Our bodies determine where we lose fat from first and last. Lose fat overall. Also, because us women have this thing called a uterus, a truly flat stomach is rarely possible without "sucking in" and posing. Some women can get there (genetics), most of us just deal with the little extra pouch that isn't fat, just our body's.

To reduce fat, simply eat fewer calories than you use.

I gave you a "like" to counteract your "woo" - although I'd choose to see that as a "woohoo, what great advice!" ;)

And here's the link to that "uterus" post, in case OP would like to see some REAL bellies. :)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

(And may I add, @VUA21 , that your own photos in there are amazing and very reassuring! Seeing how big a difference just posing etc. can make to a woman's appearance made me feel much better that my belly is not (and probably never will be) anything like the magazines try to make one think it "should" look. :) )

Thank you,
    I miss the "awesome" button. I think a good 80% of "woo"s are from people that don't know what it means, and probably 20% not liking what they hear.

@Tanishafischbach
    Here's the photos @SueSueDio was talking about. These were all taken about 3 seconds apart:
    iwm9anc0lpx7.jpg

In about a month (had a tummy-tuck to remove my belly flap on Aug 2nd), I'll do another set of pics where I can truly flex and pose at 100% as I'm still slightly bloated from surgery.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    What work outs to lose tummy fat? I want to lose my stomach. What work outs should I be doing?

Fork put-downs and table push-aways.

While I agree entirely with the calorie deficit / spot reduction comments please don't let them discourage you from doing core work. While very few people (male of female) will ever get their body fat low enough (or have the right genes) to have a 6 pack core strength can give the illusion of a flatter stomach by improving your posture and, flat stomach or not, core strength is important to overall health and fitness.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    Whichever workout you like best, that you will sustain for the long run, along with a calorie deficit.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I can only tell you what has been working for me...I am 54. I too was struggling in this area, big time. About 3 months ago I started adding more protein and doing a very hard sweaty workout. Kickboxing. We do lots of sit-ups and pushups too. My stomach is going away and I can see abs. I haven't seen them since my 30's.
    Good luck. It can be done.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    A lot of people believe this myth that carbs settle into fat in your core area. I think it's what proponents of keto preach. Since I've heard it from keto types. :)

As everyone has said you can't reduce from a specific area. Just as you can't gain fat in targeted areas. Work on your core do the muscles under it are all fit. Workout and eat at a deficit is really the only way to reduce.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add one thing. You cannot spot reduce but you can firm up and that will give the appearance of a tighter stomach. Overall conditioning is the way to go.