What would happen if we only got what we asked for?

Options
In almost every discussion in here, alternatives come up, because the proposed idea/question is not very well thought through. Then either the OP, or someone else, demands that poeple just answer the question, or ignore the discussion.

Could be fun to think about and come up with examples from other areas than fitness and dieting. Or is it just not very well thought through?

Replies

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I guess the other side is (still RV related) when people ask if their truck can tow something, and they list at the trailer dry weight and their trucks listed tow rating. Quickly get told that those two numbers are irrelevant and they need to look at the trailers gross weight rating and look at the trucks payload, as payload limits more than towing capacity.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to take care of my hair because I can never find the answers I'm looking for. Then, when I finally found an answer, I doubted it's accuracy because I had searched so hard for it that I was sure it was just confirmation bias. In reality, I think I just don't want to put in the money and work to have nicer hair.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'd guess that in 5% of the situations, the OP would get the answer they needed and go on with their lives because they already have a handle on all the surrounding context. In the other 95%, the person would think they knew more than they did, act on what they thought they new, then eventually end up asking a similar/follow-up question because they are confused and/or spinning their wheels.

As someone who has asked people to "just answer the question"...
    When I see a post like that, try to do both. Take the typical IF post about eating windows... my response would be something along the lines of "my window is roughly 11-7, but that's based more on my own preferences and wanting just a bit of structure to help me stay on plan... not because there is some magic happening around that timeframe. I've read about the supposed benefits to IF, but I think they are highly overstated (at best)."

So I've both answered the question about eating window, but also given some context that I felt was important that the OP know. Personally, I tend to only get annoyed and say "just answer the question" when people respond with simply, "it doesn't matter, eat whenever you want."
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Kitten... I don't have an epic Magnum PI mustache?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I'd guess that in 5% of the situations, the OP would get the answer they needed and go on with their lives because they already have a handle on all the surrounding context. In the other 95%, the person would think they knew more than they did, act on what they thought they new, then eventually end up asking a similar/follow-up question because they are confused and/or spinning their wheels.

When I see a post like that, try to do both. Take the typical IF post about eating windows... my response would be something along the lines of "my window is roughly 11-7, but that's based more on my own preferences and wanting just a bit of structure to help me stay on plan... not because there is some magic happening around that timeframe. I've read about the supposed benefits to IF, but I think they are highly overstated (at best)."

So I've both answered the question about eating window, but also given some context that I felt was important that the OP know. Personally, I tend to only get annoyed and say "just answer the question" when people respond with simply, "it doesn't matter, eat whenever you want."

The one truth my man for me... the more i think i know.... the more i realize i truly know nothing....
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

The one truth my man for me... the more i think i know.... the more i realize i truly know nothing....

When you understand the parameters we have to set around a body of knowledge to make it reproducible you realize the extent of this. Science and irrationality make for excellent dance partners.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I see a lot of this

e5vu6snt95p5.jpeg

I swear that’s how some adults were as kids.

So accurate
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    most know the answers to their own questions. It is just fun to vent and get other perspectives ..and in the end we all do what we want anyway. I think it is a social thing.