funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Use smaller buns? 😂
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Use smaller buns? 😂

I like your out of the box thinking right there.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it really hard not to make a joke about big buns and my sausage............
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Save-a-lot has a brand of frozen turkey sausage that fit just fine on my whole wheat English muffin.... WHEN they have them. They don't always carry them and it's really annoying when you get home and realize you have the full fat pork ones but eat them anyway and throw your numbers all wonky for a week. That's probably a testament to my laziness more than anything else. How did I get so heavy again? hahahah
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Seriously... where do you find this? I've been trying to go back to breakfast sandwiches and make my own, but I can't for the life of me find breakfast sausage that is normal PATTY size.. even less turkey sausage.

I splurged on a box yesterday, it said 4 patties and the box was pretty big... still tiny ridiculous patties (I feel ripped off). I had to play puzzle to make two of them fit in my flatbread. Such a PITA.

Suggestions?

ETA - I've tried making my own sausage - tasted like seasoned ground meat... not really something I want for breakfast. So unless someone has an awesome recipe to make my own, I'm a bit stuck, lol.

Buy raw sausages, formed into patties you like and cook. Problem solved :)

But that's the thing though, I can't seem to make them thin enough for them to actually keep their shape (so I ended up with small fat patties instead of what I was going for).
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I actually buy lean 93/7 Turkey and make my own. It's not hard. Just season and let sit over night covered. This way, you can make any flavor profile you like.

I tried that, but it tasted like seasoned ground turkey, not sausage. I have absolutely no clue what it is that makes sausage different.

Use the cookie cutters in the size you want.
    Press the meat down to the thickness you want or need.
    Freeze the meat.
    Cook them from frozen in a pan or an oven.

Exactly how I do my tuna, salmon or shrimp burgers. Cook fast, hold their shape and are easy to throw together.

I actually made some shrimp sausage a while back. Uses Cajun seasoning... actually quite good.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I make my own turkey sausage. I use the recipe below and it is fantastic. It tastes like actual sausage. I press it into whoopie pie pans and bake for 15 minutes. They come out the perfect size for hamburger buns. Note: The whoopie pie pan makes great breakfast egg patties, too. In fact, I sometimes cook the crumbled sausage in a pan and add it to my egg patties along with chopped spinach, peppers and cheddar cheese.

https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/turkey-breakfast-sausage-patties-100408

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0615-Whoopie-Baking-Pan/dp/B004CYELQE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1538150750&sr=8-2&keywords=whoopie+pie+pan

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    When I ate sausage, I would get the brands that are rolled (they look like this) and then shape them the size I want, and make them larger than bun size so they shrink down to the correct size.

⬆Yes⬆. I make mine exactly like this.