Need Ideas for ‘Lunch’ Bag Foods

Options
Hello everyone,

I’ve been in MFP since 2014 and successfully lost the 12 pounds I goaled for. Recently hectic caregiving responsibilities across 4 households has knocked me off my pattern and I’ve leveled out about 5-7 pounds over goal (which is 130 pounds).

Looking for ideas for packing my day of food in advance and taking with me. I’d like to be higher protein lower carb if possible. Allergic to shellfish and for some reason break out in rash from yogurt. Other than that I have no restrictions.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks! Jean

Replies

• millerdan1
    millerdan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Cheese sticks, sliced apples, pretzels with single serving cups of hummus, guacamole, or peanut butter, grapes and bananas have worked well for me for snacks to go with my lunches.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big salad(usually kale) with whatever veggies I have on hand. Sometimes grape tomatoes and marinated onions and peppers or artichoke hearts, sometimes topped with hot leftovers from dinner. For protein, lunch meat, hard boiled egg, or leftover meat from dinner. I usually take carrot sticks, sliced apple, or cucumber with green olives on the side.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My lunch box today consisted of -

1/2 peanut butter and jelly sandwich (bread 100 cals, peanut butter 100 cals, jelly 30 cals)
    4 oz cold grilled chicken, cut into pieces (150 cals)
    2 turkey meatballs (100 cals)
    2 hard boiled eggs (140 cals)
    2 beef jerky sticks (160 cals each)
    100 calorie pack of almonds (100 cals)
    protein bar (220 cals)
    small banana (100 cals)

That's lunch and 2 snacks for me.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I pack breakfast (eat on the way to work), lunch and snacks every day. Often looks like this:

Breakfast:
    Ham, cheese and egg sandwich
    Lunch:
    Tuna and crackers with fruit and vege sticks, OR cracker with deli meat and lite cheese, cup of soup and fruit, OR dinner leftovers, OR a big sandwich with deli meat and all the salad stuff.
    Snacks:
    Hard boiled egg, fruit (if I haven’t had it for lunch), Fibre One bar, vege sticks and a laughing cow cheese wedge.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I aim for 18-24 grams of protein, 7.5 grams fat, 20 carbs and two handfuls greens.. so big salad with chicken breast or tuna, some avocado or nuts and an apple or other fruit - or sandwich with side salad (lemon juice dressing). Simple, filling and usually about 300 calories
  • TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Options
    My lunch for work consist of a Quest bar, Light & Fit Greek yogurt, 1/2 oz. of almonds, and some kind of fruit. Easy to throw in a bag with an ice block. Don't forget your water! :)
  • trshfnly
    trshfnly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been making roll-ups with lunch meat, cream cheese, and veggies (usually onion, pepper, and cucumber). They end up being about 300 cal for six, and they're pretty filling.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the yummy suggestions! I packed hard boiled egg, mozzarella cheese stick, packet of almonds, rolled salami & cheese, apple slices, and cucumber. And a bottle of water. Snacks, lunch & lite breakfast covered.

Thx again - Jean
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I make a couple of low-fat quiche on Sundays and take a piece to work most days. Very filling!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Spring roll wraps work well - easy to make more protein heavy, if desired, and lots of recipes for them. I tend to like tofu or chicken based one, with a little soy sauce for flavor, or a homemade peanut or teriyaki type sauce.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My lunchbox is usually a salad (50-100 g of pointed cabbage, 50 grams of corn, 50 grams of peas, 50 grams of green soy beans 5 grams of oliveoil with chili :) and about 100 grams of whatever protein I have (eggs, tuna, leftover meat from dinner).
  • aliciatastic1
    aliciatastic1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Stir fry: bean sprouts, grilled chicken, bell peppers, onion. Lite soy sauce.

Diy lettuce wraps also