Less than 10 feet from my desk is...

Options

Replies

• stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I joined a new gym which is also a beauty salon/spa and right on the front desk is a HUGE bowl of candy/nuts/dried fruit ugh....

Everytime I sign in I make a comment and they all laugh. I just remind myself how gross it is that LOTS of people dig in with there bare hands...

We all have will power down deep inside or we wouldn't be on this site :wink:

Stay strong everyone and don't give in to treats or the germs that come with them LOL
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    If you can't get it moved or throw it out, how about putting it all in a box with a lid so you don't have to look at it? I personally would ask that it be moved. There must be someplace else.
  • jessready
    jessready Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Oh how I feel your pain my workplace is the same. I remind myself how much I would have to burn to work it off. I also pre log every morning before work so that it's not in my diary and therefore can not have it.
  • Khandeefan
    Khandeefan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ...this

decbd5c1-9316-462d-a794-a45f3e963d62_zps3238d9ec.jpg

every single goddam day in varying quantities and types. It's driving me insane.

Can you cover the items with a tablecloth so you don't have to look at it?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Khandeefan wrote: »
    ...this

every single goddam day in varying quantities and types. It's driving me insane.

Can you cover the items with a tablecloth so you don't have to look at it?

More than 18 months later, I think it's likely gone anyhow.

back-up-in-this-thread-about-the-resurrection.jpg
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Is your desk in there kitchen or break room? These items should be moved. I have asked co workers to stop bringing goodies in. I have thrown items out if they continue.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Is your desk in there kitchen or break room? These items should be moved. I have asked co workers to stop bringing goodies in. I have thrown items out if they continue.

Cool, so you get to dictate what others can bring to work? I bet you're really popular.

/sarcasm
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    It's kinda weird seeing the older responses in this thread. Nowadays, there would be more people telling the OP to just have some treats in moderation.
  • kriskaryl
    kriskaryl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I work with a person who insists on bringing that kind of garbage into the office. Everyone here is trying to eat clean, and she gets offended if anyone resists. She and I have both had gastric bypass. I lost and am maintaining with healthy lifestyle changes and working out. She has gained back a good amount of her weight and is back on meds for diabetes and high blood pressure. I have no desire to partake in her pile of garbage. Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ...this

Tell your manager or the building support people you have seen mice and/or cockroaches around the food. You really hate to see it go, but are concerned for health reasons.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @Treadmillmom1st - Sorry for the nearby temptations! That stuff is easy to resist when you're feeling good and strong, but hard on bad work days. I have used three solutions in my office. First ! asked my assistant, who loves that stuff, to keep it in her desk so I can't see it; second, when I used to fall off my own wagon, I would ask her for a specific number of pieces and then insist she not give me any more. We made a joke of it. And now, I make sure we never have anything dark chocolate in the office. Period. I can resist anything else.

Maybe you could ask the person with the strongest willpower/dislike of sweets to keep it hidden in their desk/office so people don't see it all the time? Out of sight, out of mind. That way, you're not denying those who do like that stuff, but you're also helping yourself and others who would like to have your willpower to not be so tempted?
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    mspoopoo wrote: »
    Can't they move it somewhere else?

What? Her kids? Ha ha ha!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here....
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here....

Other than I got suckered into a thread from 2013... :huh:
  • gkauf744
    gkauf744 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What I *hate* about office parties is not the cake & donuts (which I don't eat) but the fact that everyone assumes that you'll give up your break to go to the party, or that the party counts as your break. I go for a walk on my breaks. Sure, I like Susie, and I want to attend the party, but I get sad when I have to miss my walks for cake I don't eat.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Would it help you to chew strong minty-flavored sugar-free gum?
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I ignore most food unless it something unusual and worth the calories for me. Yesterday, there were free lamb sandwiches. I love lamb and only normally eat it two or three times a year. I got a sandwich, threw out the bun, and ate the meat. Protein and fats for the win! But for most other stuff that is left out, I just don't think it is worth the calories the vast majority of the time. Sometimes I will take a bite of something just to try because it looked like it could be good and have instant regrats because it was NASTY. Right in the trash with that. Even if it is good, I'll still only take a bite or two and throw in the trash. For regular candy that I can get anytime, I just straight up ignore that. I have that every night for dessert anyway.
  • slbale
    slbale Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! This week I brought in fruit and made a fruit basket... But there was still stuff in the chocolate drawer... A back of chips and some guacamole came out, I ate 5 chips and a T of guacamole, but logged it... I'm tired of the constant temptation.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    That would make me nuts!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Where the heck do you people work, that there is so much crap food brought in?? The worst we ever got around here is Christmas week when all the lawyers offices send French truffles or nut trays.