Doing low carb

Been doing it a couple weeks. I so want bread and starch so bad!
But I'm fighting it one day at a time. ☺ Doing it for my blood sugar and to lose weight.
I'm tired of eggs in the morning though, so sometimes I just settle for coffee. My stomach is growling right now though! 😁 keep growling. 😛 I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm finding it harder to stay on track. So starting today I am going to start exercising in the mornings and tracking. Keeping myself in check that way and posting in the forum. Feel free to comment. Keep me accountable! ☺

Replies

• DiabeticDer
    DiabeticDer Posts: 21 Member
    I feel your pain! I've been trying to do low- carb(not Keto) since April. Sometimes I make a bunch of egg muffins with assorted things like broccoli, spinach, etc on the weekends and then I can just grab and go on work mornings. Other times I micro-wave egg substitute with spinach. If I am in a real hurry I end up grabbing an Atkins shake.
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Have been on Keto for 2 months - like you I became tired of eggs and I really need my coffee so I started using Perfect Keto Collagen (vanilla) as my coffee sweetener/creamer. It is very tasty - 1 scoop has 80 calories, 1g of carbs, 10g of protein and 5000mg of MCT. That is now my breakfast most of the time. But celery and beef jerky are always standbys or the good old boiled egg. Keep logging and tracking it will pay offjfnhi6kwqhis.png
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Been doing it a couple weeks. I so want bread and starch so bad!
    But I'm fighting it one day at a time. ☺ Doing it for my blood sugar and to lose weight.
    I'm tired of eggs in the morning though, so sometimes I just settle for coffee. My stomach is growling right now though! 😁 keep growling. 😛 I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm finding it harder to stay on track. So starting today I am going to start exercising in the mornings and tracking. Keeping myself in check that way and posting in the forum. Feel free to comment. Keep me accountable! ☺

I don't do low carb, but just wanted to urge you to play around with the foods you eat, whether it's your protein & fat & fiber ratio, meal timing, etc to find a plan that is easy to stick to. There are also lots of different "levels" of low carb, so maybe you are aiming for a little lower than is best for you. The biggest benefit of low carb is that for some people it makes sticking to a lower calorie level easy. It's never a good idea to lose weight in a way you have to struggle through, otherwise you are much more likely to quit or struggle to maintain. Hope you get lots of tips!

this ↑
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    When going low carb it makes it easier if you increase your fat intake. It is not required for low carb but is required for keto. It really helped curb any cravings I would have expected to have.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Are the carbs in the food diary meant to be net of fibre or whole please? Sorry to butt in.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    MissyCHF wrote: »
    Are the carbs in the food diary meant to be net of fibre or whole please? Sorry to butt in.

The diary doesn't calculate net carbs. You can find entries in the database that have the net carbs rather than the total carbs, or you can rearrange columns so the fiber is right next to the carbs and you can figure it out in your head.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MissyCHF wrote: »

The diary doesn't calculate net carbs. You can find entries in the database that have the net carbs rather than the total carbs, or you can rearrange columns so the fiber is right next to the carbs and you can figure it out in your head.
    Many thanks.

• silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Well, I suck . I was doing really well keeping my carbs below 20 . Till today , I couldn't leave the french bread alone. Made myself a cheese and turkey sandwich on french bread. :open_mouth: Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I got this! >:) Before anyone says, I would keep the bread out of my house, but other people live there and buy it. ugh!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    You may want to consider getting more sodium. When you lower carbs you need more salt and that sometimes manifests as hunger.
  • silverstar65
    silverstar65 Posts: 184 Member
    Thank you , I will try that.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    OP, life is full of temptation and sometimes it's ok to cave. We can treat ourselves responsibly. I've found that the trick is keeping my treats in moderation. By denying myself bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes I make myself miserable. I also eat low carb to keep blood sugar in check but I just aim to be under 100 g for the day. With that allowance I keep my blood sugar in check and still get to enjoy carbs. Tonight I ate 7.6 glorious ounces of sweet potato with 60 g of sour cream with my dinner. It was delightful.

My advice is to pick a low carb level that works for you. If you are looking to lose weight and watch your blood sugar then you can eat to your meter. I know that I can have 7.6 ounces of sweet potato and still pull a good reading. I could not eat that same amount of carbohydrate in bread because it sends my sugar soaring. We are all so different--eat to your meter. It will tell you what you can eat and stay within your health goals.