Low Calorie options that were disappointing

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited September 2018
    This one is a backwards - but i only bought low fat greek yogurt. It was fine as it was all I know. Then I bought full fat greek yogurt (with "real milk") and wow! Discovered what I had been missing. I know tend to get that instead. I get plain and dress it up as I prefer (usually a wee bit of maple sirop).
    cannedgoo wrote: »
    100 cal “snack packs” that are basically one cookie.
    I can eat one cookie on my own without all the extra packaging :/

With that said, I also have a strong distaste for artificial sweeteners. Yogurts, diet soda, and the like

Haha, I love the 100 calorie snack pack of cheetos. it's a staple. i CANNOT be trusted to measure out 100 calories worth froma large bag ;) (well some days i can, others not. takes more work to open two bags). I try to limit my garbage in other ways ;)
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I accidentally bought low fat cottage cheese the other day. Oh yuck.

If you think that's bad, try the nonfat - really yuck. I usually buy the 1% - definitely no where near as tasty as 4% (but I tend to over-eat the tastier 4%). 2% would be about perfect for me I think (but I don't ever see it).
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Sugar free pancake syrup. Something that is made completely of sugar just shouldn't be sugar free, I guess.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Sugar free pancake syrup. Something that is made completely of sugar just shouldn't be sugar free, I guess.

On that same subject, can anyone explain how they make sugar free caramel? I mean, caramel is basically sugar and water boiled together with a little cream (sometimes) for texture... so sugar free caramel???
  • RonyMack
    RonyMack Posts: 131 Member
    Low carb toilet paper.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »

Why? How did it differ from full fat?

Totally different flavor and mouth-feel.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

On that same subject, can anyone explain how they make sugar free caramel? I mean, caramel is basically sugar and water boiled together with a little cream (sometimes) for texture... so sugar free caramel???

I was curious so I looked up a couple recipes. They both called for "sukrin" (sugar substitute). Haven't tried it but my expectations would be very low if I did.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member

Why? How did it differ from full fat?

Totally different flavor and mouth-feel.

I agree - even when I was really into eating a lot of "diet" things and low-fat items, I still found low-fat cottage cheese to be disgusting. It's hard to describe the taste and mouth-feel, but it's definitely unappetizing.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Walden farms dressings! Freaking nasty and expensive.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Plain, air-popped popcorn. I may as well be eating salted Styrofoam.
    I still gotta have some butter on my popcorn...for me it's worth the calories.

Agree. The texture is awful.

Mine is--pretty much anything with artificial sweetener. Yuck!

Artificial sweetener is the worst!

Nope. No its not. Not at all.

Agreed ...
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    I’m actually okay with a lot of low fat/0 cal things. I actually like skinny syrup, Walden farms, low fat yogurts etc.
    The only thing I’m not too fond of pb2.
  • arilukaszewicz1
    arilukaszewicz1 Posts: 75 Member
    I like monk fruit and stevia and I do like the black bean brownies stuff like that, I cannot stand the skinny syrups from Starbucks! Anything with Splenda or the like I instantly regret
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Low fat caesar dressing
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Walden farms dressings! Freaking nasty and expensive.

and the 'peanut butter' is not edible...I threw mine out :s
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Low calorie American beer. What's the point? Might as well drink soda water...lol

That's kind of the point. For me, Bud Lite is a day beer or a "between drinks" beer. It keeps me just buzzed enough without sending me into a blackout. I can drink 6 Buds through out the day. But 6 double IPAs would have me not feeling too good.

I can't do shiritaki noodles. I tried them once and actually threw up. So nasty.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Smuckers ingredients--
    Ingredients: Maltodexterin, Water, Maltitol Syrup, Glycerine, Sorbitol, Nonfat Milk, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Soybean Oil, Artificial Flavors, Corn Starch, Salt, Caramel Color, Fully Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Carrageenan, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Sucralose (Non Nutritive Sweetener), Monoglycerides, Yellow 6, Tbhq (Antioxidant), Red 40.
    Stir gently to combine