Low Calorie options that were disappointing

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Most reduced fat dairy products other than milk, especially cheese, any kind of cheese. I also can't do light mayo, it's just not the same.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    I’m actually okay with a lot of low fat/0 cal things. I actually like skinny syrup, Walden farms, low fat yogurts etc.
    The only thing I’m not too fond of pb2.

I'm the opposite. I like pb2 and I the last time I had real peanut butter was 2 months ago (after not eating it for nearly 3 years because something else always wins the "worth the calories" war). It's the other things I can't do. Low fat is the worst, low sugar is a hit or miss, but usually acceptable unless it has stevia.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Reduces fat butter and low fat spreads . What is the point?
    Oh, and mayonnaise. It has to be hellmans and not low fat.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Sugar free pancake syrup. Something that is made completely of sugar just shouldn't be sugar free, I guess.

On that same subject, can anyone explain how they make sugar free caramel? I mean, caramel is basically sugar and water boiled together with a little cream (sometimes) for texture... so sugar free caramel???

Smuckers ingredients--
    Ingredients: Maltodexterin, Water, Maltitol Syrup, Glycerine, Sorbitol, Nonfat Milk, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Soybean Oil, Artificial Flavors, Corn Starch, Salt, Caramel Color, Fully Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Carrageenan, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Sucralose (Non Nutritive Sweetener), Monoglycerides, Yellow 6, Tbhq (Antioxidant), Red 40.
    Stir gently to combine

pardon my french but holy *kitten*!! 2 ingredients to 21 ingredients... smdh
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I was guessing some sort of thickened sweet syrup-like but creamier substance from the ingredient list -- had to scroll up to find/check...yep, low cal caramel sauce fits.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Walden farms peanut butter....

Take a spoonful of salt and a spoonful of dirt and you have a perfect comparison of that product...

Fully agree on this one and I love most of the WF products :)

Agreed. I gagged when I bought the peanut butter and I use their dressings, syrups, and dips daily.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty much the full fat version is the only one I go for - just have less of it.

Low fat mayo has to be the worst :/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I tried to delude myself with PB2 for awhile, but I couldn't do it.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

I am supposed to make a dessert next week for work and was trying to think of something with reasonable calories to which I could add protein. I was thinking of using PB2 to make buckeyes (peanut butter fudge balls coated in chocolate). Is it really that bad?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I am supposed to make a dessert next week for work and was trying to think of something with reasonable calories to which I could add protein. I was thinking of using PB2 to make buckeyes (peanut butter fudge balls coated in chocolate). Is it really that bad?

It's not bad. It just isn't peanut butter. You don't get the salty/sweet deliciousness. It just tastes like peanuts. It may work for buckeye balls (I totally know what those are! My grandma made them at Christmas).
  • LiveInLeggings
    LiveInLeggings Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Plain, air-popped popcorn. I may as well be eating salted Styrofoam.
    I still gotta have some butter on my popcorn...for me it's worth the calories.

I like mine slightly burnt. Its added flavor! Lol!
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow extra light cheese triangles. They have zero flavour. And Fibre One cake bars. I find the lemon ones particularly rancid; apparently someone thought it was a good idea to mix lemon dish soap with liquid paraffin and sand.
  • jogetsgains
    jogetsgains Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sugar free pancake syrup. Something that is made completely of sugar just shouldn't be sugar free, I guess.

On that same subject, can anyone explain how they make sugar free caramel? I mean, caramel is basically sugar and water boiled together with a little cream (sometimes) for texture... so sugar free caramel???

Smuckers ingredients--
    Ingredients: Maltodexterin, Water, Maltitol Syrup, Glycerine, Sorbitol, Nonfat Milk, Contains 2% Or Less Of: Soybean Oil, Artificial Flavors, Corn Starch, Salt, Caramel Color, Fully Hydrogenated Cottonseed Oil, Carrageenan, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Citrate, Sucralose (Non Nutritive Sweetener), Monoglycerides, Yellow 6, Tbhq (Antioxidant), Red 40.
    Stir gently to combine

pardon my french but holy *kitten*!! 2 ingredients to 21 ingredients... smdh

For ppl who want this and have ZERO calories, it comes with a free chemistry lesson.

All this science and it doesn't even taste good 😭
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I accidentally bought low fat cottage cheese the other day. Oh yuck.

Why? How did it differ from full fat?

I hate low fat cottage cheese too (gag).

There was a thread once where people were discussing what they put in their cottage cheese.
    Lots of people were mixing in sweeteners, jam etc. I love cottage cheese plain and was a bit baffled.

They started stocking low-fat cottage cheese at work, and I figured it was a good protein snack after the gym, so I grapped one.

I had to spit it out and throw out the rest of the container. Afterwards I thought it might not have been so bad with jam mixed in. <lightbulb moment>

But nah....
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    PB2 is good for smoothies and baking, NOT for eating like regular peanut butter.

and Laughing Cow cheese is great, maybe not the extra light, but the regular is so low calorie anyway...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have some of the Jif powder peanut butter... it's fine for mixing into things to add peanut flavor, but no - not even remotely a substitute for straight peanut butter. yuck. (It also likely wouldn't have the binding properties of normal peanut butter - so I doubt that many of the no-bake and flourless recipes that use peanut butter would work too well without additional ingredient substitutions).
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Walden farms peanut butter....

Take a spoonful of salt and a spoonful of dirt and you have a perfect comparison of that product...

Fully agree on this one and I love most of the WF products :)

Agreed. I gagged when I bought the peanut butter and I use their dressings, syrups, and dips daily.

But I did not toss mine. I refuse to throw out anything I buy. I bought it for a reason, spent my hard earned money so it will be eaten / used.
    It all got used up in making thai peanut sauce and for that it worked well.

I tried to use it up in peanut butter cookie recipe. Came out terrible, but my family ate them, haha!
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Plain, air-popped popcorn. I may as well be eating salted Styrofoam.
    I still gotta have some butter on my popcorn...for me it's worth the calories.

I cannot fathom why anyone considers plain air-popped popcorn a good snack. Even if you try to season it the seasoning doesn't stick.

Reduced fat cream cheese is very disappointing. It has a weird grainy texture, not worth it. I used to like Halo Top but once I tried Enlightened and Chilly Cow I stopped buying it. Definitely not the best low cal ice cream option and it's not the cheapest either.

Turkey bacon. I'll buy and eat it but it's not bacon. Anything made with stevia. Very upset about the rise of stevia as the 'hip' low calorie sweetener because the aftertaste is like licking a nine-volt battery.
  • besmith11
    besmith11 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Item. All disappointing for me.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I have some of the Jif powder peanut butter... it's fine for mixing into things to add peanut flavor, but no - not even remotely a substitute for straight peanut butter. yuck. (It also likely wouldn't have the binding properties of normal peanut butter - so I doubt that many of the no-bake and flourless recipes that use peanut butter would work too well without additional ingredient substitutions).

I agree. If you're substituting in PB2, a separate fat source should be added since the regular peanut butter is likely replacing a fat like butter or oil.

Also, PB2 is good, but it really isn't peanut butter. If you eat it and expect peanut butter, then you'll be disappointed. But, if you go into it thinking PB2 is a new spread that is totally separate from pb, then you might enjoy it more.

You can also mix it with a reduced fat butter/margarine for a different consistency. 2 tbsp for 80 calories of I Can't Believe it's Not Butter Lite and 45 cals for 2 tbsp PB2 is still less than regular peanut butter.