Ultimate Accountability Challenge(UAC)-October 2018

Options
2»

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,378 Member
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I took a look at the "FAQ" thread and think I have the Rule1 figured out (below is a copy/paste from the FAQ page:

3. What counts as exercise?

Nearly all physical activity counts as exercise. That includes walking, cleaning your house, playing tag with the kids, walking your dog, etc. This doesn't mean you should do the bare minimum every day if you're capable of much more. If you want results, you have to challenge yourself, but for the purpose of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge, 20 minutes of any kind of exercise will suffice.

What I am wondering is: I have only been logging what I personally consider "traditional / real exercising" on the MFP Exercise diary eg my exercise bike and Wii exergame stats, just 'cause I don't have any other way to track or even "ball-park measure" things like steps through the day, HR monitor calories burned etc.

So on days that I don't get to do my stationary bike (for example) do the 20 minutes have to be continuous? Say I walkng briskly 10 mins to a friend's house (1 km away) plus 10 mins back - or walk to the grocery store and back (closer, but would include more walking around the store and carrying the purchases back) And would these need to be logged into the exercise diary somehow?

And while typing this, I just thought .... but maybe I missed it in the FAQ thread .... does Consuming no more than your chosen limit of daily calories mean before or after exercise calories are taken into account?

Say I have a daily MFP setting of 1300 target to eat / do 400 cals of biking / eat 1450 cals total so that my net calories won't be under 1000 .... is that a "YES" on eating to target or "NO / Pass needed" situation?

I am just the type who wants to confirms she is very clear on the rules both so that I don't give myself slack I shouldn't, but at the same time don't discourage myself by being unrealistically pedantic either.

I am leaning towards joining this challenge in order to help break last month's plateau, but would appreciate the clarity before committing.
    @BMcC9 The answer to your question is that you determine how to spend your exercise calories. All members have their own discretion to determine if they want to 'eat their calories."
    For example: one member may be a triathlete...they are enormous calorie burners. If they usually add exercise calories to their basal metabolic rate.
    On the other hand, some members have their own formula, "I eat back 50% of my calories".
    Regardless, it's your decision. You make that rule.

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it. I get the calories business totally - just want one last confirmation ... whether the 20 minutes of activity/exercise can be broken into two sets, or has to be continuous.

One day a week I have to have an early supper and dash out to a weekly commitment, but if I could do 10 minutes exergame mini-trampolining before and minimum 10 more minutes after I get back on those days, then I wouldn't run out of passes before the end of the month. And would walking briskly 10 mins / 1 km to a friend's house - pause for visit - plus walking briskly 10 mins / 1 km back meet the 20 minutes in a day definition?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,003 Member
    Options
    I took a look at the "FAQ" thread and think I have the Rule1 figured out (below is a copy/paste from the FAQ page:

3. What counts as exercise?

Nearly all physical activity counts as exercise. That includes walking, cleaning your house, playing tag with the kids, walking your dog, etc. This doesn't mean you should do the bare minimum every day if you're capable of much more. If you want results, you have to challenge yourself, but for the purpose of the Ultimate Accountability Challenge, 20 minutes of any kind of exercise will suffice.

What I am wondering is: I have only been logging what I personally consider "traditional / real exercising" on the MFP Exercise diary eg my exercise bike and Wii exergame stats, just 'cause I don't have any other way to track or even "ball-park measure" things like steps through the day, HR monitor calories burned etc.

So on days that I don't get to do my stationary bike (for example) do the 20 minutes have to be continuous? Say I walkng briskly 10 mins to a friend's house (1 km away) plus 10 mins back - or walk to the grocery store and back (closer, but would include more walking around the store and carrying the purchases back) And would these need to be logged into the exercise diary somehow?

And while typing this, I just thought .... but maybe I missed it in the FAQ thread .... does Consuming no more than your chosen limit of daily calories mean before or after exercise calories are taken into account?

Say I have a daily MFP setting of 1300 target to eat / do 400 cals of biking / eat 1450 cals total so that my net calories won't be under 1000 .... is that a "YES" on eating to target or "NO / Pass needed" situation?

I am just the type who wants to confirms she is very clear on the rules both so that I don't give myself slack I shouldn't, but at the same time don't discourage myself by being unrealistically pedantic either.

I am leaning towards joining this challenge in order to help break last month's plateau, but would appreciate the clarity before committing.
    @BMcC9 The answer to your question is that you determine how to spend your exercise calories. All members have their own discretion to determine if they want to 'eat their calories."
    For example: one member may be a triathlete...they are enormous calorie burners. If they usually add exercise calories to their basal metabolic rate.
    On the other hand, some members have their own formula, "I eat back 50% of my calories".
    Regardless, it's your decision. You make that rule.

Thank you for your quick response. I appreciate it. I get the calories business totally - just want one last confirmation ... whether the 20 minutes of activity/exercise can be broken into two sets, or has to be continuous.

One day a week I have to have an early supper and dash out to a weekly commitment, but if I could do 10 minutes exergame mini-trampolining before and minimum 10 more minutes after I get back on those days, then I wouldn't run out of passes before the end of the month. And would walking briskly 10 mins / 1 km to a friend's house - pause for visit - plus walking briskly 10 mins / 1 km back meet the 20 minutes in a day definition?

Yes your exercise can be broken up! I use that method to build up my walks over time!

Re: your calorie question. YOU determine your calorie goal per day and YOU determine whether that includes exercise calories or not.

Join us! We’ll help you get started! It works!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I'll pop over and join now. I like the idea of self-awareness through thorough tracking and accountability.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I'll pop over and join now. I like the idea of self-awareness through thorough tracking and accountability.

I'm now an official member over on the group thread. Introduction will follow later.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    @BMcC9 You are wise to verify and clarify our rules. Just so you know, you keep track of everything, we keep track of nothing. We are all grownups and our group is small enough for camaraderie, but not so small that anyone is keeping track of anyone else's faults.
    We expect everyone to be honest with themselves.
    I believe that is what you want too!
    Rick
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    6m6hr9956saz.gif
    One day left before we announce our September Winner's Circle Qualifiers. At the moment, it looks like we have 15 qualifiers.
    There is still time to join our October Ultimate Accountability Challenge...you will be glad when you do!
    See links above for the October UAC
    Thanks, RangerRickL
  • SoonerDustin
    SoonerDustin Posts: 15 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Look forward to giving this a try for October. I’m trying to lose some weight and finally got back on my bike after a 6 month break. As a former Ironman it sucks to be sucking wind after a 10 mile ride. I’m going to try and stay under 2000 calories daily but I’m not going to count a missed day unless I go over that plus whatever calories I burn exercising. And for what it’s worth, OU/Texas Saturday will be my first pass day. That’s just a given and expected pass 😁
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would like to join, please add me.
  • Aloosu
    Aloosu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't know where to post the info needed to check in everyday, please help...I joined this months challenge and would like to check in..
  • Aloosu
    Aloosu Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    October 1: stay within my calorie budget
    Completed 20 minutes of.
    physical activity