Has anyone lost weight with exercising at home?

Options
I have 2 stone to lose. With a busy working life, huband, kids, I am finding it super hard to stay committed. I work from home now, so I might be able to squeeze some time to work out.

Has anyone lost weight by working out at home? We have no gym equipment (except for weights). I was hoping to find an online/youtube exercise programme to help me establish a routine.

Replies

• MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at home, for the last 5 years, have gained and lost weight too, because of goal changes, but as all others mentioned, weight loss is coming from calculated nutrition and not so much the workout.
    For me, I do manipulate my carbs and protein intake for the weight loss and muscle gain.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have lost a little over 38 pounds and haven’t set foot in a gym. The only intentional exercise I do is walking. I fit it in as many times a week as I can weather permitting.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Focus in the kitchen for weight loss. Workout for health - home workouts are just as effective as gym ones, check out the likes of Hasfit, Nerdfitness, etc on Youtube.
  • Jkirch2015
    Jkirch2015 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I work from home and also workout at home. I use the fitnessblender.com website. Hundreds of free videos to pick and choose as you please. When it’s break time, I stand up from my desk, do a workout, then go right back to it after a quick rinse-off. Been doing it for 2-3 years and I’m more toned than I have ever been, even with a desk job (was a bedside nurse before then).

Good luck to you!
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes- I pay £9.99 a month for Les Mills on Demand and bought a cheap barbell and weights set earlier this year after cancelling my gym membership.

I workout 3-4 times a week mainly body pump and body combat occasionally. I also started the whole exercising at home in January when we bought Just Dance to play on our Nintendo Switch. I play with the kids or alone using sweat mode and it seriously helped me to start getting back into exercise as fun but intense cardio.

This year I've finally lost weight after years of struggling to get to the gym consistently. I still do the occasionally soca dance combat class at the gym because I love the music but home is now it for me and dodging my toddler or watching him dance to the music whilst exercising makes things more interesting lol

Good luck you can do it at home for sure!!
  • Yoanna123
    Yoanna123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes! Lost weight monitoring my calorie intake...and Zumba incorporating hand weights, tae bo with 3lb weights. High cardio plus weights gives great results.
    You tube! Everything you'll ever need at home and a big dose of self disipline..definitely doable!
  • lytningbolts
    lytningbolts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Yes! I can’t go to the gym so I lost 30 lbs previously by eating 1200 calories a day and working out at home. I took my dogs for long walks, used an under the table bike (nice for small spaces), a workout step to do step aerobics while watching TV, and hand weights. It can be done! It doesn’t matter where you do it. It only matters that you do it!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Moi
    I don't go to a gym. I do my sports and exercise videos from youtube. You don't need machines.
  • Sweetzyd
    Sweetzyd Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone mentioned above. I've lost weight combining exercise (all from home) with a calorie deficit. 19 lbs in 2 months. I will add though that my body doesn't lose weight well without the exercise. In the past I only lost 5 lbs in 3 months eating 1200 calories/day, with NO exercise. I have heard of others cutting calories and having better results though.
    I am doing everything the same now except I have added the exercise in and have had amazing results. Good luck, hope this helps.
  • MzStylish21
    MzStylish21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    YES , YOU CAN LOSE WEIGHT BY WORKING OUT AT HOME!! If you're anything like me you may not always want to pinch your calorie intake to skip working out. Especially if you're at home most of the day.
    It's very possible to lose weight at home.
    I've done so plenty of times and maintained a lot of weight off. Skinny had never came easy for me I've had to physically work for it my entire life. I have worked out from home and maybe make time to have 1 day to either take a walk around my neighborhood or at the park.
    However, even tho it is possible to do it from home I would highly recommend signing up for a gym since you work from home and have a family you might lose motivation and need a release from the same routine.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Yes! when I found this app in 2012 I needed to lose 2 stone, plus I didn't have a gym nearby or an inclination to go so working out at home became the norm, began with walking but also was a fan of workouts on youtube, then got myself an indoor bike and weights.
    Exercise isn't vital for weight loss but its good for us and it helps increase calorie deficit. Log every single thing you eat here, keep consistently at calorie deficit and weigh loss will follow :smile: I chose the slow and steady weight loss route so I never felt deprived, got to goal in that first year and have been in maintenance ever since.

All the best.
  • aliciatastic1
    aliciatastic1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    tulipzz wrote: »
    I have 2 stone to lose. With a busy working life, huband, kids, I am finding it super hard to stay committed. I work from home now, so I might be able to squeeze some time to work out.

Has anyone lost weight by working out at home? We have no gym equipment (except for weights). I was hoping to find an online/youtube exercise programme to help me establish a routine.

Maybe try to find ways to incorporate your whole family into your weight loss journey. Family walks, hikes, bike rides, rock walls, bounce rooms. Kids love that stuff. You will burn a ton of calories, but you will also need to maintain a healthy diet. Log your calories daily and stick to your plan. Try to make your weight loss journey as fun as possible.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I only go to a gym if I need a shower.

Yesterday I burned 434 KCal on my bike in my living room. The other day I burned 740 KCal in 40 minutes running outside.
    I'm not losing much today cause I'm eating too much.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Beachbody on demand is great, PiYo and TurboJam are my absolute favorites. I do some dance videos on youtube and my favorite yoga youtube is Boho Beautiful.

You absolutely do NOT need a gym... and I agree with the others... make sure your eating well <3
  • leighannspencer2018
    Options
    Buy some ankle weights to wear around the house maybe when u walk the shop they definitely help
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes. I lost the first half of my weight and started pursuing fitness at home using the Insanity Max30 dvds. I did two full rounds of the program (first one using the modifier track 100%) before joining my gym.