Help Me with Veggies!

rewind271
rewind271 Posts: 5 Member
I'm not really into vegetables, but I really want to include them in my diet. I really don't know which veggies to choose from. I need delicious recipes for veggies so I can eat them with out spitting them out.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    what don't you like about veggies? is it a texture thing or something else
  • rewind271
    what don't you like about veggies? is it a texture thing or something else

Probably both texture and taste. They're also very bland
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited September 2018
    Casseroles/soup's/ curry's - do you eat those? Those are the kind of meals where the more vegetables you add the more flavour you get.

If you can't stomach the veg you can disguise them by using a food processor and add to dishes such as bolognese/Ragu/stews - veg when they are actually the backbone to most dishes imo.

Carrot's /peas/ onion probably are easiest to get used to.

Then there's the more bland ones like cauliflower, cabbage, courgette, aubergine which don't have much flavour so they are easily 'hidden' in casseroles/currys.
    Then there are ones with more flavour like peppers, brussels sprouts, celery, leeks, broccoli.

It would take ages to list all the veg possibilities...hope you get some good feedback.

Ruth
  • rewind271
    I enjoy soups and stews, but don't really eat it very often. But this definitely does give me some ideas on how I can incorporate it with my usual meals!
  • rewind271
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I like roasting my vegetables and then dousing them in "everything bagel" seasoning, which makes every vegetable better. My go-to's are: carrots, red onion, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini... I'm trying to branch out though. I am going to try out a spaghetti squash for the first time today.

I'm going to have to try this! Hopefully my wife will want to try it

• alicebhsia1
    alicebhsia1 Posts: 82 Member
    yes. roasted veggies with olive oil are great! i just like salt and pepper on mine. also almost any veggie is good sauteed with a little chicken boullion powder and maybe a little fresh chopped garlic and a pinch of sugar for dark greens or like zuchinni for one example. ( i actually use mushroom veggie seasoning but i'm vegetarian) if you like chinese food, invest in some oyster sauce for sauteed broccoli or bok choy. you basically just dump on a couple tablespoons at the end of the stir-fry/sauteeing. it's delicious . also salad is an option. it doesn't have to made with lettuce. you can do cucumber and tomato and green peppers with a little feta and olives.. experiment until you find dressings you like. another of my favorite salads is romaine carrots and celery and cucumber..
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I grill all different kind of vegetables - for me the difference is different textures, different flavours. Tonight I grilled butternut wedges with curry powder - very tasty.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    What about raw? I love a good salad over a grain instead of lettuce. I'm not real into lettuce. But if cooked I prefer roasted or grilled veggies. Steamed veggies are kind of bland. This also makes a big difference, but are you buying fresh, frozen, or canned? I won't touch canned, and frozen veggies are mostly steamed when cooked. Fresh is the way to go if roasting or grilling.
  • rewind271
    What about raw? I love a good salad over a grain instead of lettuce. I'm not real into lettuce. But if cooked I prefer roasted or grilled veggies. Steamed veggies are kind of bland. This also makes a big difference, but are you buying fresh, frozen, or canned? I won't touch canned, and frozen veggies are mostly steamed when cooked. Fresh is the way to go if roasting or grilling.

I Have only done canned or frozen because i don't know how to really handle fresh veggies. But I would love to do so and experiment
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Olive oil, salt, and roasting in the oven will bring out the natural flavor of most veggies. I especially like roasting potatoes, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, asparagus, and parsnips. You can google how long to cook any particular veg you're interested in. I tend to only work with fresh veg if I intend to roast them in the oven as, imo, the frozen ones get a bit mushy. But it depends on your preferences and the particular veg.

Steaming them is also a quick way to prepare them. I used to buy microwave steamer bags at the grocery store that you could fill with different veg and they had the times for each veggie printed right on them. Green beans and broccoli are probably my most commonly steamed veg, but any of the above can be too. Steaming does have a tendency to make veggies mushy if you steam them too long, so don't go overboard. Since you can eat most veggies raw, you don't need to cook them to death. Just enough to soften them up a bit.

Most veggies have their own flavor but will also soak up the flavor of whatever they're cooked in, which is why they are often incorporated into soups, stews, curries, etc (that and they were relatively cheaper than meat for most people, so they stretched a meal easily back in the day). I don't tend to eat enough veggies throughout the day so my dinners get packed with them. I chop up mushrooms to add to ground meat along with some onions. Beyond that, I tend to pair things to go with their cuisine style. Italian food? Bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant. If I'm making Mexican-style food then it's beans, onion, peppers, corn, salsa. Breakfast hash gets potatoes, broccoli, edamame (shelled) and onion in my house. Maybe some carrots.

I keep frozen veg on hand all the time to just throw in the pot of whatever I'm making. I don't steam them beforehand, just toss them in frozen and let the pan do the rest. I find that if I pre-steam them then they get way overcooked.

Veggies are easy, imo. Toss some spices on them and cook them until they're fork tender. Any longer and they get mushy. Any shorter and they can be tough to eat.

And don't be afraid to add cheese to your veggies if that's the way you like them. There's nothing wrong with a good bit of broccoli in a cheese sauce.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    I second roast veggies. Another alternative is raw sticks or crudites dipped into humous or ranch dressing. Green beans, carrot sticks, green peppers would be suitable. Soft greens such as spinach and cabbage can be sauteed with a little butter and garlic until wilted down and soft.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Try beets and peppers. They’re not bland. Also artichokes. You can add your favorite spices to anything to suit your taste.
  • Millicent3015
    Millicent3015 Posts: 374 Member
    You could buy a vegetarian cookbook. Don't overcook fresh veg, you only need to boil most chopped veg for 5-10 minutes. You can add a vegetable stock cube and herbs like parsley, chives and marjoram to the water which will give the veg a nice flavour, and then use the veg water to make instant gravy. A small microwave egg cooker (like those cheap chicken shaped ones) can also be used as a mini steamer for individual portions of veg. Cook on a high setting for 3-5 minutes.
  • I find that I prefer veggies uncooked. But in terms of cooked veggies, I prefer cauliflower with Trader Joe's Chili Lime seasoning, or broccoli with Bolthouse Farms Greek Yogurt dressing, creamy garlic. I really love green beans and artichokes, but they have to be super well done for me because my guts don't like them otherwise. My most favorite vegetable of all time is Steamed Kabocha squash. YUMMMM
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    I absolutely can't eat vegetables without some kind of "flavor" to them. I like to buy sauced frozen vegetables and use the sauce to flavor the veg and the meat for meal prep. Everything bagel seasoning is fantastic, but I find I have to use quite a bit to get enough taste. Tabasco, Taijin, ancho powder, Louisiana Hot Sauce, hummus, ranch, and cheese are also very handy for making the "medicine go down"!
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    cookieandkate.com has lots of wonderful ways to prepare principally vegetarian food. A big world out there to experiments with if you are willing to spend some time in a kitchen. Definitely invest in a good sharp chopping knife to make vegetable prep go faster and easier.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I absolutely can't eat vegetables without some kind of "flavor" to them. I like to buy sauced frozen vegetables and use the sauce to flavor the veg and the meat for meal prep. Everything bagel seasoning is fantastic, but I find I have to use quite a bit to get enough taste. Tabasco, Taijin, ancho powder, Louisiana Hot Sauce, hummus, ranch, and cheese are also very handy for making the "medicine go down"!

Same here. I basically douse my vegetables in the stuff. I go through the seasoning really fast lol
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,155 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »

Same here. I basically douse my vegetables in the stuff. I go through the seasoning really fast lol

Luckily it’s all of $1.99 at TJ’s!!