Early morning exercise

Options
Do you wake up early to exercise? How much earlier to do wake up? What is your favorite and least favorite early morning exercise???

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Up at 3:45. At the gym by 4:30. Powerlifting training until 6:00. Most favorite - deadlifts or pull-ups. Least favorite - varies, right now it's squats because they aren't going very well.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I get up about 5:20 to do a workout before work. I usually do something cardio, like TurboJam/TurboFire, aerobics, etc. Sometimes I incorporate some dumbbells, like 30 day shred or the firm. I really like cardio in the morning to wake up. I have tried going to the gym to lift early, but my body does not feel warmed up properly without my cardio, so I usually lift after work.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get up before 5:30 or 5:45 AM. I make a protein shake and take the subway to my class, usually a 7:15 or 7;30 class. After which I shower and get dressed for work - I prepare my bag every single night.

I'm tired after 9:30 or 10 PM, with getting up that early. I don't know how people get up earlier!!!!!

• jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:00AM, drink my vitamins, have some coffee, read work email.
    Get the kids up at 6:00AM, head out for the Gym around 6:30AM
    Workout for 1 - 1.5 hrs, get home around 8:00AM and start working again.

Favorite, Bench and Deadlifts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to get up before 5:30 or 5:45 AM. I make a protein shake and take the subway to my class, usually a 7:15 or 7;30 class. After which I shower and get dressed for work - I prepare my bag every single night.

I'm tired after 9:30 or 10 PM, with getting up that early. I don't know how people get up earlier!!!!!

I'm asleep by 9:00 at the very latest, that's how. :laugh:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have to be at work by 8, so I go to bed early and up early. If I went to bed later than 9:30-10, I'd sleep later. I also try not to waste any time before my workout. I just get up, grab my water, pee, put my hair up and pull on a sports bra. Takes about 5 min. Then I pick my video and get started.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i used to get at at 4am. now going thru a hypersomnia phase so it's been nigh impossible to even get up to work on time let alone early runs, but hoping to do it again.

i just fall asleep around 9:30. usually sleep in my running clothes. or have them laid out... when i went to the gym, i had lunch and my gym bag ready the night before
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4am to workout. Currently I am doing insanity max 30. I am out of the house at 6am to be in work for 7am

I have grown accustomed to doing cardio at that hour but not weight lifting.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:45 at early morning class by 5:15. I go to bed before 9 usually.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    So I've been working out after work but with 2 young kids it's getting to be kind of tough. I always get a feeling from my husband that he's annoyed that I'm going off to work out every evening instead of spend time with them. (my lifting routine takes about an hour and when I run I go out for maybe 40 minutes - never both on the same days)

So I've been *considering* switching to early mornings. I was going to get up and run this morning. My alarm went off at 5 and I was awake, and I could have easily gotten up, but instead I just said "nah" and went back to sleep. What is wrong with me.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    So I've been working out after work but with 2 young kids it's getting to be kind of tough. I always get a feeling from my husband that he's annoyed that I'm going off to work out every evening instead of spend time with them. (my lifting routine takes about an hour and when I run I go out for maybe 40 minutes - never both on the same days)

So I've been *considering* switching to early mornings. I was going to get up and run this morning. My alarm went off at 5 and I was awake, and I could have easily gotten up, but instead I just said "nah" and went back to sleep. What is wrong with me.

It takes quite awhile to get used to getting up early and working out. Keep trying.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I get up 515 and at gym by 545 most weekdays.
    Lift weights (favorite) for 50-65 min followed by 15-20 of cardio.

With 3 little ones and one on the way, it’s the only time to fit my routine in and not disrupt our family time. I love it.

I’m sure things will change a bit when new baby gets here.
    I’m in bed before 10pm most nights.
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

It took my body a long time to adjust to getting up early. It can still be rough some mornings. I just tell myself “I’ve never regretted a workout and chances are one of my kids will be up within an hour anyways”

Keep trying! You may love getting it done early
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    During the hot months I'm up at 4am to run, which means I'm in bed by 8-8:30 and asleep by 9pm. I only do it during the hot months though because I'm really not a morning person and I love to sleep.
  • chornak05
    chornak05 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:45, to the gym by 5:15. I work out for an hour and get home right as my husband and 3 kids are getting up. I do a 30 minute run and 30 minutes lifting. Usually 3-4x/week. My kids go to bed at 7:30, I spend 30 or so minutes cleaning up/packing lunches for the next day, spend an hour with my husband and am in bed by 9.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Up at 5am Monday thru Friday. Get my kid on the bus at 7:30am. Get to the gym by 8am. Lately mostly bodyweight workouts. Yoga, pull-ups, hangs, handstands etc... Get to work by 9am.