Early morning exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I just joined PF recently. My alarm goes off at 5:15. I used to be at work every day by 6:15 or 6:30. Now I am at PF instead 3 days a week. I go to one near my office and I can dress casual at work, which makes showering and dressing there easy; I don't have to get a tall locker and make a jacket, dress shirt and slacks fit in there hanging properly. Tomorrow I will have a protein bar in the car so I can get there for a 6:00 small group session with a trainer to learn best machines/exercises for abs.
    Most days so far I do cardio and then some machines, which tracks with what I used to do years ago when I last worked out in a gym a lot. I think my normal session is going to be 30-45 minutes of reasonably intense cardio and 30-45 minutes of machines and/or dumbbells. I am drawn toward the 30 minute express circuit because it will probably keep me on track better than wandering around between machines.
    Despite the fact that I am just starting, I am in pretty good shape from long SUP paddles, about 20 miles a week during the height of the summer, 6-8 mile walks and a couple of home exercises. I did/do kettlebell swings and pull ups intermittently. EDIT - I think this matters because I am able to come right in and do a lot; not a total newb starting from ground zero.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I get up around 5:15-5:30 and quickly grab my stuff and go. I try to have my gym bag packed, workout clothes laid out, lunch made and office clothes packed the night before. So I just brush my teeth, get dressed, make my protein drink and out the door. I get to the gym by 6 and workout until around 8 - 8:30 (I spend a long time warming up before and stretching afterwards). I get to work between 8:30-9 and work through my lunch. I'm usually in bed around 10.
  • JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    440 daily to hit the gym and lift or run depending on the week and day it is. running a 3/2 -2/3 circuit.
    3 days one week cardio 2 lifting, opposite the next week.
    Least fav???? I dunno if there is one....
    Most fav.... ummm TRUE??? is that an answer? haha
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Usually up around 4AM. I walk 6-7 miles at a good clip and get to work around 7:30. I try to get to the gym for strength training 3 time a week on my way home and the weekend. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    After 40 years in construction where 4 or 5 AM starts were the norm, I have a lot of trouble sleeping past 5 or 6. Often up at 4. Even before that I was a morning person so this is what suits my biorhythm.

Body weight workout while I am waiting for the pool in my complex to open at 6 AM is my favourite.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    When rowing was at 5:30am I was up at 4. Now that it's in the evening (on weekdays) for the next three or four weeks I wake up at 7:30am and get on the bike at home within 15 or so minutes depending on how long it takes me to will myself out of bed.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    When I work a regular daddy shift at homeI'm up at 4:15 AMD in the pool at my Y st 5am. Swim 4 miles, shower and go to work.
  • ItAintMagic
    ItAintMagic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question, but is it better to go for a morning walk (walking is my exercise right now) before eating? Or should a person eat before doing morning exercise?
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a stupid question, but is it better to go for a morning walk (walking is my exercise right now) before eating? Or should a person eat before doing morning exercise?

It’s not a stupid question at all. Personally, I’m also doing intermittent fasting and my eating window doesn’t start until the afternoon so walking in the early morning means on an empty stomach. Check around online but there’s research out there about the benefits of exercising in a fasted state. But whatever works for you.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour earlier. I need a cold shower to wake me up + ablutions + check mail, first before I head out. It's a jog, what's not to like about it, unless I'm pushing through domes for some reason.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get up at around 4:45. This gives me time to eat and get things running. I'm in the gym at 6 doing fitness classes (cardio M-W, strength T-Th). After that, I ride my bicycle to work a couple of days a week (about 10 miles each direction).
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am up at 4:50 three days a week and work out an hour before work. Weekends I get up around 6:30 to get it done before the kids get up. Like many of already said, I feel that if I don't get it done first thing it wont happen and I like to come home from work and enjoy my kids and not have to stress about finding time to fit in a workout. I am in bed by 8:30-9:00, I would probably be in bed by 8 if possible. I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old and I teach Kindergarten so my days are exhausting!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I wake up early, take my puppy out for his walk. Then I come back and get my morning workout in.

My workouts have a lot of variety, but these days I'll either do bodyweight work or a fitness walking workout.

At night I prepare by laying out my clothes, planing the work out I'm doing and I get solid rest.

Love my morning workouts! It helps to set up my day nicely.
  • intrigame23
    intrigame23 Posts: 193 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My routine M-F
    up at 445am, gym by 5am
    workout 5 to 6am ish
    breakfast til about 645am
    bath, dress, whatever, be at work by 8 am

I love going to bed and getting up early now. I cannot stand rushing around in the morning. With this routine I set myself up for less stressful, more productivity, more positivity, more proactive instead of reactive, and more patience. Love it!

For workouts I like alternating days with cardio and weights. Sometimes just do the 30 min express circuit and treadmill.