Surprised at how unpopular express workout is at the gym

I joined PF just a few days back and have been taking trainer led sessions. I really like the 30 minute express with the whole routine numbered and a red/green light moving you around from station to station. It makes a lot of sense to me because I don't have to remember what 10 machines in what order and the next one will always be available as I need it. I get why body builders and serious fitness enthusiasts trying to isolate and work hard on specific muscles or areas wouldn't care for it. I am doing a trainer led abs session on Friday; I don't plan to do nothing but the express circuit. But it is hardly used at all. I was the only one in my session and no one else used it during the entire 30 minutes ( which extrapolates to ~55 minutes as no one was anywhere on the circuit when I started).. There were a fair number of people at the gym (mid afternoon). I have been going early AM and I rarely see more than a couple people over there.

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    I always liked the station set up as well. I like circuit workouts, it’s what I base my at home workouts on now.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    I couldn't imagine a 30 minute trainer led abs session. Doesn't seem very productive.
  • kcolfack
    kcolfack Posts: 3 Member
    I tried it and didn't like it. I thought 1 minute for a lot of the weights was to long unless the weight was really light
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    That is great that the circuit is empty, usually there is someone who doesn't understand what it is for, uses one machine and throws everyone else off.
  • cheshiremask
    cheshiremask Posts: 7 Member
    It's always empty at my gym, too, even though I know people who say they love it. Occasionally I go in there for a couple of the machines but I've never done the whole circuit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    There is a circuit at my rec center and it seems pretty popular. I see a variety of people use it--from college age through seniors.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine a 30 minute trainer led abs session. Doesn't seem very productive.

They mostly teach and don't push people hard unless they ask to be pushed. I don't know which machines in what order will help me the most with abs.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    If you're enjoying it and feel the benefit then more power to your elbow CT. Do what works for you.

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    If you like it, then do it. I can't say why people at your gym don't like it. When I went to the gym I saw lots of people using the weight machines, although we didn't have a "circuit" thing set up. Although I personally wouldn't use any machines for abs. I just do planks, hollow hold, that type of stuff. No weights.
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    As a powerlifter, it takes me 30 minutes to get through my warm-up, but if you like it and it works for you than don't worry about what other people think. I know too many people that use the "I don't have time to workout" as an excuse. You do you.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    This reminds me of the Curves gym workout I tried for 1 month years ago. I learned that the circuit/bootcamp style workouts wasn't for me.

I prefer doing separate cardio and strength training sessions and I like working out on my own and going at my own pace. I can see the appeal of those kind of workout though.

If it works for you that is great! Plus it seems like it fits into your schedule well. Good luck with it!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    How many times does planet fitness have to explain that they're not a gym, for people to figure out they're not a gym? Gyms are for people to work hard to get in shape. And that's why people don't like gyms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNz38i4qnU

$10 seems like a reasonable amount of money for the fun experience of achieving a lifetime ban from Planet Fitness; sign me up !
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    To the OP

Please don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

Enjoy your training and best of luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I used to go to a different gym that had a similar circuit class. It was lead by a trainer and take would play music, tell us when to rotate. A lot of us did the circuit class before another really popular group class in the enclosed classroom.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I used to go to a different gym that had a similar circuit class. It was lead by a trainer and take would play music, tell us when to rotate. A lot of us did the circuit class before another really popular group class in the enclosed classroom.

At PF, it isn't in a separate room, but a separate area with a half wall except where you walk in/out and clearly marked as the 30 Minute Express area with instructions about changing stations in order. The main area has multiple higher end machines that match every machine on the circuit. This morning there were a couple of people using it differently but knew it and told me they would be out of my way before I reached the stations they were at. Other than them, no one else used it for the entire half hour I was in there and there were a fair number of people there. I feel like I got a pretty good workout but I can make it better/harder as I keep doing it. One thing I have to pay attention to is not getting lazy on the step platforms between each machine. I need to up the weight on a few machines.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2018
    Packerjohn wrote: »

They mostly teach and don't push people hard unless they ask to be pushed. I don't know which machines in what order will help me the most with abs.

Congrats for starting an exercise program. To be honest, diet helps the most with abs. If you want to use the machines for a while, that's fine. If you thing about it though when you sit on some machine that is supposed to work the core, you are actually supporting the core with the bench of the machine. You will most likely be better served regarding core strength if you wean yourself away from core exercise that use machines. If it's too hard as shown you could use a bench or stool to support yourself as needed until you build strength to do without the bench.

This is a fun exercise that is a great total body warm up and develops practical core strength:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E