Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I couldn't imagine a 30 minute trainer led abs session. Doesn't seem very productive.

They mostly teach and don't push people hard unless they ask to be pushed. I don't know which machines in what order will help me the most with abs.

Congrats for starting an exercise program. To be honest, diet helps the most with abs. If you want to use the machines for a while, that's fine. If you thing about it though when you sit on some machine that is supposed to work the core, you are actually supporting the core with the bench of the machine. You will most likely be better served regarding core strength if you wean yourself away from core exercise that use machines. If it's too hard as shown you could use a bench or stool to support yourself as needed until you build strength to do without the bench.

Interestingly enough, it turns out that I was wrong about the abs class. It was floor exercises. I did a little sigh and eye roll but went ahead and did it. I was the only male in the group. About 10 minutes in, the ladies are talking among themselves and having very little trouble with the exercises. My eyes are crossed, I am breathing irregularly and in so much pain that death begins to sound like a reasonable alternative. I do have lower back trouble and that was part of the problem but my back is fine now and the muscles in my gut still feel sore.

I have done pretty well with the diet part.
    namanevyednh.jpg

The picture is deceiving. Look close (can't look too close; it was clipped out of a group shot so not much detail) and what looks like muscle is mostly loose skin masquerading as a six pack. I got in shape from paddling, which does work the core but not intensely enough in the abs to give me much strength there.

Nice progress.

Some good ideas/progressions in this article:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/anterior-core-training
  • IHaveMyActTogether
    Options
    I couldn't imagine a 30 minute trainer led abs session. Doesn't seem very productive.

They mostly teach and don't push people hard unless they ask to be pushed. I don't know which machines in what order will help me the most with abs.

Congrats for starting an exercise program. To be honest, diet helps the most with abs. If you want to use the machines for a while, that's fine. If you thing about it though when you sit on some machine that is supposed to work the core, you are actually supporting the core with the bench of the machine. You will most likely be better served regarding core strength if you wean yourself away from core exercise that use machines. If it's too hard as shown you could use a bench or stool to support yourself as needed until you build strength to do without the bench.

Interestingly enough, it turns out that I was wrong about the abs class. It was floor exercises. I did a little sigh and eye roll but went ahead and did it. I was the only male in the group. About 10 minutes in, the ladies are talking among themselves and having very little trouble with the exercises. My eyes are crossed, I am breathing irregularly and in so much pain that death begins to sound like a reasonable alternative. I do have lower back trouble and that was part of the problem but my back is fine now and the muscles in my gut still feel sore.

I have done pretty well with the diet part.
    namanevyednh.jpg

The picture is deceiving. Look close (can't look too close; it was clipped out of a group shot so not much detail) and what looks like muscle is mostly loose skin masquerading as a six pack. I got in shape from paddling, which does work the core but not intensely enough in the abs to give me much strength there.

But you have great lats. Give yourself some credit! Good job!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Money, location and hours were big draws for me. Actually works out to about $13 a month as they will hit you with a $40 annual fee in November. I never thought about it, but one way they can afford that is to alienate the people who would be in there 15 hours a week. They probably have a really high number of members per location, which is fine if the average usage is low.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Money, location and hours were big draws for me. Actually works out to about $13 a month as they will hit you with a $40 annual fee in November. I never thought about it, but one way they can afford that is to alienate the people who would be in there 15 hours a week. They probably have a really high number of members per location, which is fine if the average usage is low.

This article suggests 50% of PF never go to to gym after signing up. Yes utilization is low.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/05/what-your-new-gym-doesnt-want-you-to-know/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.75013ea83665
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

This article suggests 50% of PF never go to to gym after signing up. Yes utilization is low.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/05/what-your-new-gym-doesnt-want-you-to-know/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.75013ea83665

PF takes that to a whole other level by specifically marketing to people that hate going to gyms.

Their marketing is dumb but I don't think anyone takes it seriously or has much impact on who goes to their gyms (other than eliminating serious weightlifters). When I went to a Planet Fitness it was mostly middle-aged women and teenagers. Now I go to an Anytime Fitness where almost all the floor space is dedicated to strength training and most of the people there are middle aged women, teenagers, and some very dedicated weightlifters. I have no idea who wasn't showing up at either place but at Planet Fitness I definitely did not see the stereotype of someone walking at 2.0 mph with pizza.

FWIW when I went to a Y with a Planet Fitness-like circuit nobody really used it either.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Main reason for throwing this out there was to see if I got responses from people who tried it and stopped because it didn't seem as effective as using the time differently. The time part of it definitely makes it attractive. I am going early AM very near my office, showering and going to work. I would have showered anyway, so a one hour workout only costs me one hour at a time when conflicts are very rare. I am taking steps not to get caught up in the "no time" excuse. I am not a powerlifter. i am a guy who lost a bunch of weight last year and the beginning of this year, took up SUP paddling and got in good shape and I don't want to lose that over the winter. I think it will fit my goal.

Anything that fits your goal and schedule is great, you're doing better than 90% of people.

I was going StrongLifts for a while. My doctor sent me to a physical therapist for a bike fit, then we had another session to talk about weights. She held me come up with a routine to meet my goals. That was pretty great, and it's what I do now.
  • CarvedTones
    edited September 2018
    Options

There is a big caveat on the $10 rate - besides the $40 annual that will be charged in November, if you cancel before 12 months you have to pay $84. I don't know what happens with the annual fee if you don't cross November but for people who don't go for a while and then decide to drop it, a lot of them probably find out it would be cheaper to keep the membership until the year is up. Then probably a decent percentage of people forget to cancel.

But hey, if people want to join and not go to lower my membership costs, more power to them. It's too early to say for sure that won't be me also, of course. But I have been more dedicated and diligent about losing the weight and getting in shape than ever before. I have been overweight with occasional attempts at getting back in shape for decades and not were truly successful before this one.

BTW, about rolling around on an exercise ball...
    After I read that article about ab exercises @Packerjohn posted earlier in the thread I tried some exercises with the ball that kicked my butt. Actually it would be more correct to say kicked my gut; the muscles there are still burning but I didn't get the eye crossing back pain.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    How many times does planet fitness have to explain that they're not a gym, for people to figure out they're not a gym? Gyms are for people to work hard to get in shape. And that's why people don't like gyms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNz38i4qnU

$10 seems like a reasonable amount of money for the fun experience of achieving a lifetime ban from Planet Fitness; sign me up !

Yeah, I had ($)10 reasons for signing up too. Does it have the same equipment as the gym I left after they doubled the monthly fee? Maybe not as many free weights but they have up to 75lb dumbbells which is more than I could ever need and about the same selectorized equipment that I was using at the other place. Open 24 hours most of the week. Of course it can’t meet the needs of hardcore lifters but it more than meets mine and for a fraction of what I was paying. It’s also right on my way home. I guess I’m also lucky that the staff are easy going. Never had the “lunk alarm” go off.

I've thought about joining too. It would be good to have options when traveling.

It's a cheap date and is probably good for a workout or two during business travel, amIright?
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    How many times does planet fitness have to explain that they're not a gym, for people to figure out they're not a gym? Gyms are for people to work hard to get in shape. And that's why people don't like gyms.

$10 seems like a reasonable amount of money for the fun experience of achieving a lifetime ban from Planet Fitness; sign me up !

Yeah, I had ($)10 reasons for signing up too. Does it have the same equipment as the gym I left after they doubled the monthly fee? Maybe not as many free weights but they have up to 75lb dumbbells which is more than I could ever need and about the same selectorized equipment that I was using at the other place. Open 24 hours most of the week. Of course it can’t meet the needs of hardcore lifters but it more than meets mine and for a fraction of what I was paying. It’s also right on my way home. I guess I’m also lucky that the staff are easy going. Never had the “lunk alarm” go off.

I've thought about joining too. It would be good to have options when traveling.

It's a cheap date and is probably good for a workout or two during business travel, amIright?

I would say so but keep in mind that for access to all heir gyms you'd have to go for their "black card" membership for about $19.95. And I think some of them have more equipment available than others. I think my brother goes to one in Illinois and I think he's mentioned things that I don't have like battle ropes (is that what they're called?)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

I would say so but keep in mind that for access to all heir gyms you'd have to go for their "black card" membership for about $19.95. And I think some of them have more equipment available than others. I think my brother goes to one in Illinois and I think he's mentioned things that I don't have like battle ropes (is that what they're called?)

@huntersvonnegut

Thank you, sir !

Good to know.

I'm okay having more than one gym membership.
    $20 a month, even if it's only there as an option, is a good investment in one's health.
  • CarvedTones
    Options

@huntersvonnegut

Thank you, sir !

Good to know.

I'm okay having more than one gym membership.
    $20 a month, even if it's only there as an option, is a good investment in one's health.

Actually, it's $21.99 and then the $40 once a year. Besides getting to use multiple locations, you get to use tanning beds, massage chairs, hydromassage and you get unlimited single guests, which means you can bring a guest with you every time you come if you want. None of those things make it worth the extra money to me.

Not sure what the ropes are called. I do like those, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    It makes a lot of sense to me because I don't have to remember what 10 machines in what order and the next one will always be available as I need it

It's like how some people only eat packaged, pre-made meals, because they don't have to think about their nutrition.
    A freeweight-based program can be easy to follow too, and more functional for everyday life than machines that do the form for you. Just saying. :+1:
  • CarvedTones
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I am not sure why you think staying in shape one way makes you more functional than another but your are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Machines are like a bicycle with training wheels, since they do much of the coordination & stabilization for you. That can leave people lacking in those skills, potentially causing injuries outside the gym. A machine workout is fine for someone who does lots of heavy lifting in their daily life, since their lifting skills are regularly practiced. But most people don't do that, so they'll benefit from freeweights. The exercises can be easy to learn, and listed on a phone or on paper, so there's nothing to remember. :+1:

I haven't seen data on how the choice of free weights versus machines affects your likelihood of being injured outside the gym, but would be happy to look at what data you have. I have seen data that indicates that using free weights drastically increases your odds of being inured inside the gym:

Weight-Lifting Injuries on the Rise
    More than 90 percent of the injuries occurred while using free weights rather than weight machines.

• allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options

This is a fun exercise that is a great total body warm up and develops practical core strength:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0_DoicHg2E

Love this video - this would be great with kids
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    For abs: when mine were weak, bent-over rows (BB or DB) seemed to have done the most to get them much stronger. (A lot of the Abs-specific exercises seem to require a fair amount of strength before they can be done with remotely decent form).