At what weight should I start jogging?

Options
Hello all, I am 44 yrs old and weigh 215lbs. At what weight would do you all recommend I can start jogging?

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current health and activity level. Work up to it gradually, but there's no reason why you can't start the process now.

Walk a block, a mile, a few miles then several miles. Increase your speed then add short increments of slow jogging. Gradually increase the distance jogged.

Your body will get accustomed to the motion and it will improve over time.

Running successfully without high risk of injury is not switch. It's a process.
  • davidylin04
    davidylin04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    saundts wrote: »
    Hello all, I am 44 yrs old and weigh 215lbs. At what weight would do you all recommend I can start jogging?

if you can walk for over 30 minutes at a reasonable pace then you are in a good place to start running, regardless of your weight.

I wholeheartedly endorse this advice. Weight doesn't tell us as much as our prior activity levels and performance.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am a urban runner and run on pavement because it is softer than concrete. I get great shoes and retire them at 350 miles (runtastic app tracks my shoe miles). My current shoe is Hoka and they are known to have a lot of cushion. I try to run as if I am running on eggs and trying not to break them. OP, I recommend walking briskly until you get to about three miles daily and then phase in short runs at intervals. extend the interval until you can run the three miles without walking and get used to it. If you like you can add more miles after you can run and carry on a conversation. I love to get out at 5 am and have the city to myself.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    The one you're at right now!
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    As others have suggested, it's less about age and/or weight, but rather more about your health and conditioning.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If there's a fancy athletic shoe place that offers "good form walking" and "good form running" classes in your area, or some other organization that does, take them. Injury prevention through good form is a good thong.

In my mind, there are two issues for an aspiring runner/jogger who's still on the heavy side. One is basic fitness; the other is joints.

Other folks have addressed the fitness angle well, above. Not an expert, but I do know that jogging/running are materially higher impact than walking. This doesn't rule out jogging while still carrying some extra weight, but it does increase risk.

Also, the older we are (I'm way older than you! ;) ), the greater chances we already have some pre-existing joint damage. Again, this doesn't rule out jogging.

If you have any history of joint issues (arthritis, connective tissue problems, etc.), I'd suggest checking in with your doctor and maybe getting a physical therapy referral to do selective remedial work before making a big start on jogging.

Likewise, if you experience any joint pain or other sharp localized pain (not just sore muscles) while working toward more jogging, get it checked out. Some pains are injuries that will worsen with more jogging, some aren't; and as we age, recovery is a little slower (costs more recovery time) and rebuilding is also a bit slower, so avoiding injuries or treating them quickly are both sensible bets.

With those caveats, I agree with those encouraging you to start a sensible and gradual couch to 5k (C25K) program or similar anytime.

Best wishes!

I’ll second the joint issues point. Regardless of weight, joint issues can happen and they are a big deal with running.

I really really wanted to run, but my knees have told me no, and it’s just my draw. I’ve had knee issues for several years and running will not be for me, even at goal weight.

While many people have stories of being 300lbs and just starting with C25K or other slow walking-to-running progress and it goes amazing, because they have good joints.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I run and I'm fat. Just start with a learn-to-run program and remember to slow down :).
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest C25K and the supportive clothing it really does make a difference. If you try the C25K just remember these two things you can always repeat a session and when you start you go slow but whatever you think slow is - No, slower than that :) I started at slower run speed than my walking speed, it can take time for your body to adjust to the movement of running. Also, listen to your body it will guide you.