Maintenance (+/-20#)

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I'm in year 5, it got easier for me after year 2, as long as I keep an eye on snacking I maintain just fine. In my second year at maintenance I was trying the reverse diet approach, ended up gaining around 5lbs so that didn't work. Finding my true average TDEE was probably the best approach for me, knowing that I need to average no more than 1900 calories and stick to that means I maintain pretty effortlessly.

I have a range like so many, mostly prefer +/-3lbs because I'm only 5ft 2, but recent hormone fluctuations as I approach menopause/peri menopause mean my fluctuations are wilder so now give myself up to 5lbs leeway.

I don't log my food any more, I eat the same kinds of things or should I say I average the same calories for each meal. As I said, its the snacking that is the only thing that could cause gain, so I need to stop myself from having that extra packet of Tayto Cheese n Onion crisps or that Frys Chocolate Cream!

I'm the same way. I don't really have a problem over-eating at meal times but I will just grab stuff from the pantry and fridge all day long if I could. So If I just limit my number of snacks per day I have no problem with maintaining my weight without logging my food. Thank god because I hate logging my food.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I'm in year 5, it got easier for me after year 2, as long as I keep an eye on snacking I maintain just fine. In my second year at maintenance I was trying the reverse diet approach, ended up gaining around 5lbs so that didn't work. Finding my true average TDEE was probably the best approach for me, knowing that I need to average no more than 1900 calories and stick to that means I maintain pretty effortlessly.

I have a range like so many, mostly prefer +/-3lbs because I'm only 5ft 2, but recent hormone fluctuations as I approach menopause/peri menopause mean my fluctuations are wilder so now give myself up to 5lbs leeway.

I don't log my food any more, I eat the same kinds of things or should I say I average the same calories for each meal. As I said, its the snacking that is the only thing that could cause gain, so I need to stop myself from having that extra packet of Tayto Cheese n Onion crisps or that Frys Chocolate Cream!

I'm the same way. I don't really have a problem over-eating at meal times but I will just grab stuff from the pantry and fridge all day long if I could. So If I just limit my number of snacks per day I have no problem with maintaining my weight without logging my food. Thank god because I hate logging my food.

Same here. I'm just about two years into maintenance, and snacking is my biggest problem. I don't log, but step on the scale every morning. That's how i know whether it's a fluctuation or a steady gain. I haven't found cure for snacking. I eat way too much nuts, and then to add to it, i feel that i have to have all other things too, chocolate, honey, dried fruit, frozen fruit, ice cream or gelato, hummus and chips, there's just too much around. And i don't think i can or want to eliminate all of it from my house, so i try to moderate. More often than not i fail to do so, but i offset the extra calories from rich snacks by riding. My average bike ride burns 840 or so to 1500-1600 depends how many miles i go. And even commute to work, when i can, easily earns me 350-400 calories. And that's according to fitbit, so heart rate is at play. Because the numbers from my riding app are at least double that. So the big question is, how does one limits number and quantity of snacks, what's the secret formula?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »

Same here. I'm just about two years into maintenance, and snacking is my biggest problem. I don't log, but step on the scale every morning. That's how i know whether it's a fluctuation or a steady gain. I haven't found cure for snacking. I eat way too much nuts, and then to add to it, i feel that i have to have all other things too, chocolate, honey, dried fruit, frozen fruit, ice cream or gelato, hummus and chips, there's just too much around. And i don't think i can or want to eliminate all of it from my house, so i try to moderate. More often than not i fail to do so, but i offset the extra calories from rich snacks by riding. My average bike ride burns 840 or so to 1500-1600 depends how many miles i go. And even commute to work, when i can, easily earns me 350-400 calories. And that's according to fitbit, so heart rate is at play. Because the numbers from my riding app are at least double that. So the big question is, how does one limits number and quantity of snacks, what's the secret formula?

I would say that if you don't log food but you're still maintaining then why worry about the snacks?

I simply do better when I have two largish meals and one smaller one...some people like to graze, sounds like that is just your preference.
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm loving this thread. I've been "in maintenance" (aka nearish my goal) for a year and after a vacation and job change this summer, I've been treating myself daily and I'm no good at moderation so the treats are huge. I'm trying to be more aware of what I am eating and why - seems like when I was losing, it was almost easier because there was a pay-off and an end goal. Maintenance is just....forever.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I did that in year 6 (only 10 pounds, but same thing). Logging did not help - I've been meticulous. I'm supposedly on a deficit.

For me I needed more exercise (yes I really need to move that hour a day and hit that cardio for 30 minutes). I also need carbs lower than 40%. That's not low carbs, it means upping my protein. My doctor put my on the Whole30 diet in May for reasons other than weight loss - it's basically paleo. Haven't changed my calories at all and 10 pounds fell off. When I looked back at my logs that was inadvertently what I was doing when I first lost weight - dropped milk, cheese, and bread to get that 500 calorie deficit. That dropped my carbs and upped my protein. Over the years my calories stayed the same but my macros changed. And, btw, every time I eat grains the next day I gain a few pounds. It's water.

I'm back at my target weight, but actually have a new target of dropping another 10 pounds (or putting on a lot more muscle and getting leaner).

Anyway, if your calories look good, try the macros and exercise.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

If you’re maintaining your weight is it really a problem? I prefer eating bigger meals for lunch and dinner so I limit myself to one afternoon snack and I try to keep it around 200 calories or so. I also let my hunger be my guide. Some days I don’t eat my snack if I’m not hungry, or some days if I’m really hungry I might have 2 snacks, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. It’s Been working for me.
  • icemom011
    Options

If you’re maintaining your weight is it really a problem? I prefer eating bigger meals for lunch and dinner so I limit myself to one afternoon snack and I try to keep it around 200 calories or so. I also let my hunger be my guide. Some days I don’t eat my snack if I’m not hungry, or some days if I’m really hungry I might have 2 snacks, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. It’s Been working for me.

I guess my problem with snacking is that i want it regardless whether I'm hungry or not. I feel that i can and i should have it. That's not always the case, and often i go overboard and sample too many good snacks.
  • icemom011
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »

If I didn’t eat when I wasn’t hungry, I never would have hit 220.

I love this answer, it's so true!
  • icemom011
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I have a couple of little tricks that help me. I find that chewing gum distracts me enough so i don't look for snacks or extra food. It'sespecially effective if I'm not particularly hungry, or not hungry at all, or shouldn't be hungry because i have eaten, but want to keep eating anyway. And also having a nice cup of tea, whether it's caffeinated or herbal, or coffee if it's early enough, is helping with the same problem.
  • hikinggal11
    hikinggal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been in maintenance for a while, do you ever stop obsessing with your weight? I am paranoid that I will regain all of my weight that I lost. I know the statistics of this is high in the general population so I make myself sick with worry if I am up a pound or two. I logically know that 1-2 lbs fluctuation is not a big deal, but I am terrified that the fat fairy is going to find me and wack me with her wand even though I dillagenly weigh and track my food and eat my recommend calories.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been in maintenance for a while, do you ever stop obsessing with your weight? I am paranoid that I will regain all of my weight that I lost. I know the statistics of this is high in the general population so I make myself sick with worry if I am up a pound or two. I logically know that 1-2 lbs fluctuation is not a big deal, but I am terrified that the fat fairy is going to find me and wack me with her wand even though I dillagenly weigh and track my food and eat my recommend calories.

I'd say 'obsessing' is a bit strong. I think the key is diligence. I've been in maintenance for 5 years and I still log my calories rigorously (on weekdays--I practice weekly calorie cycling). I weigh myself everyday, but I don't worry about fluctuations--I do it to track trends. When you decide to lose weight, it's a lifestyle change. You have to change habits, and that takes time, and diligent practice. Once you decide to maintain at a weight, you just up your net calories a bit. Everything else is the same. You will be successful in maintenance as long as you continue to practice the new habits you taught yourself during weight loss. Practice makes permanent!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It "gets easier" in that we are always learning from our own experience and mistakes.

I guess you now see that the point "oh, must be eating too much" came a little too late so now you can move that point closer to your desired weight range. I call it my intervention point - a number on my scales that triggers conscious thought and action.

It took me a while to realise that allowing my weight to track my seasonal activity and exercise levels made me more happy and less stressed. I typically gain about 7lbs over the winter and lose it again slowly as my cycling and activity picks up in the Spring. It's not a grind though, just a series of decisions over my calorie balance.

I also know that I can be lazy and too complacent about losing the 7lbs winter padding unless I have a dedicated goal in mind to keep me focused. Instead of making those eating decisions I defer them. In my case a long distance cycling event means I want to be at peak fitness and the right weight by a certain date, a SMART goal not a vague wish.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I don't obsess with my weight, but keeping an eye on it ensures I stay in my range. If it veered up for more than 4 weeks I would take action.

In the early days I did fret that I would be another statistic and regain, but I prefer being slim far too much to slip into old eating habits.

It takes quite a bit of time to feel confident that we are doing this 'right'. Hopefully you will get to that place soon.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you for this thread @nowine4me - I've been in maintenance for something like 4 years now (I think?). The past year, I've slowly been creeping up from 130 (my maintenance weight) to about 143 (starting to lose again, though... 140.4 this morning), and I've been kicking my own *kitten* over it. Its nice to know I'm not a special snowflake. #MaintenanceIsHard

What's been working for me is the same thing that @cmriverside was doing - logging and stepping on the scale. I'm a bit less focused on nutrition that him, I think... but continuing to track honestly has helped me get back on the 'weight management' horse. :)