Ladies who lift: Side bends?

Options
13»

Replies

• Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I do side bends too even though they're easy. Not everything has to be difficult to be effective.

They shouldn't be easy. I struggle with mine. I think you may need to use heavier weight.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Side bends? No.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    I have also heard people say "don't do them or you will get bigger in your waist" and for me it can't be further from the truth. i used to avoid them or never did them, it wasn't until i started to do the side bends of the standing bench with a 10 lb plate that i saw my obliques for the first time. i love them!
    I may have said this in the past (or something along these lines), but I generally try to elaborate so that I'm not misconstrued as saying "don't do an exercise."

I wouldn't tell people not to do them if their goals are to build strength, lean muscle. But if someone's looking for an aesthetic goal of a small waist, then I am pretty sure that if he or she continues to increase the weight in side bends, then it will make the muscle bigger.

So if a person gets to a waist size that he or she likes aesthetically, then he or she may want to consider keeping the weight and reps the same so as not to increase the muscle size. This doesn't happen overnight, obviously. So it's conceivable to keep that exercise in your routine but modify it so that it suits your desired outcome.

Sounds reasonable. Thanks.
  • mathairmhor
    Options
    From my search on the internet they are good but should be done along with other ab exercises.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's your decision. I'm not saying she can't.

and walking your dog is different than a specific exercise I would think. I'm really actually not trying to be a *kitten* about this. I"m just curious as to why someone would incorporate a specific exercise and then say "they are easy"

you are right- they are easy to do... they are easy to set up- they are uncomplicated (in theory)... but she didn't say that- so I don't know.

Hence why I was asking.

lol too funny how that one phrase has set you off on a speal of several paragraphs. I didn't make this post, I wasn't asking for help, and if I did need some advice I have several very knowledgeable friends on here.

My reason for doing them is because they are easy and why not? Why do you have such a problem with that?

I haven't been set off- we were talking. I was genuinely interested in why you were describing them as easy.
    I don't comprehend doing an easy exercise for just doing a thing.

So if you were describing them as "easy" as in a simple or as in "it's easy and it's not difficult work"

not sure why everyone thinks I"m bent about this- I'm not.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    No never.

I squat and deadlift.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    For starters - yes, squats and deadlifts are great. I change my routine up every 3-4 months, so sometimes there are more targeted workouts. Doing the same 6 exercises for the rest of my life would get boring.

My last routine had this with side bends in a circuit:

1.) Heavy dumbbell in one hand - 10 side bends on left, switch hands, 10 side bends on right. Simple exercise, but I strain to get all 20 in
    2.) Immediately go to a set of hanging leg raises. The "down" position is my legs sticking straight out at 90 degrees (parallel with floor). I then curl my hips upwards like they are scooping water and bend my knees to bring them towards my face. I can get in about 10 but go until my form suffers or I can't hold the "down" position.
    3.) Immediately drop down into full plank for 60 seconds, then without dropping swtich to forearm plank for another 60 or longer, until I feel like falling.

Rest 30-60 seconds, repeat, repeat
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Also, what other exercises would target the obliques?

My BMI is 22, but I still have those love handles....
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I don't do them. I'm no opposed to them, but my workout plan is geared toward building muscle, so I focuse on weight progression. My waist isn't really an area where I'm looking to build muscle. I'm sure I could keep things light and easy, but I feel like I get enough general core work in the bigger compound moves.