Alcohol

Options
Over a month ago i made a decision to stop drinking for no other reason than why not, it also helps with the calories in, alcohol makes me hungry so im getting a double bonus on this front.

Has anyone else felt giving up wine/vodka/beer has kept them on track with weight loss?

Ive also done MFP while still drinking in readonable moderation but i felt i wasnt always logging it.

I know you dont have to give it up but how do you stop getting the munchies(wanting to eat)

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I quit for the same reasons you did.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Over a month ago i made a decision to stop drinking for no other reason than why not, it also helps with the calories in, alcohol makes me hungry so im getting a double bonus on this front.

Has anyone else felt giving up wine/vodka/beer has kept them on track with weight loss?

Ive also done MFP while still drinking in readonable moderation but i felt i wasnt always logging it.

I know you dont have to give it up but how do you stop getting the munchies(wanting to eat)

I find I am OK if I drink outside the house. I currently limit myself to one beer on Monday nights when I play pub trivia with friends. Otherwise, I will only have something like wine when it is served at a friends house with a nice dinner. If I open a bottle at home, I will drink it all and get the munchies. If I plan something where I will open a bottle at home (like the champagne I opened for my birthday) I also plan to have some good snacks around to eat.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think if you're the type of person who eats extra food when they've been drinking, that's a very hard thing to change. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so you're basically asking how to circumvent that.

I can drink while I'm counting calories, but that's because it doesn't make me want to eat more. If anything, alcohol tends to blunt my appetite.

If i even have a modecum of booze it increases my appetite , theres a huge amount of pressure to drink in social situations that its hard to avoid , so my social life has suffered a wee bit , im not missing it and seeing my weight coming down faster im convinced its really helping.Its a big commitment to watch calories and give up drinking at the same time when almost all my adult life ive never combined both of them but its keeping me focused every day.

Now into month 2 and set a traget of december 1st before id have a drink.i never thought id keep it up
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think if you're the type of person who eats extra food when they've been drinking, that's a very hard thing to change. Alcohol lowers inhibitions, so you're basically asking how to circumvent that.

I can drink while I'm counting calories, but that's because it doesn't make me want to eat more. If anything, alcohol tends to blunt my appetite.

If i even have a modecum of booze it increases my appetite , theres a huge amount of pressure to drink in social situations that its hard to avoid , so my social life has suffered a wee bit , im not missing it and seeing my weight coming down faster im convinced its really helping.Its a big commitment to watch calories and give up drinking at the same time when almost all my adult life ive never combined both of them but its keeping me focused every day.

Now into month 2 and set a traget of december 1st before id have a drink.i never thought id keep it up

I'm sorry you're experiencing the pressure to drink, but I'm glad that your plan is working for you. Do you happen to be younger? I've noticed as I get older (I'm almost 40), my friends don't really care who is drinking and who isn't.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If I ever give it up I will let you know if it helps. Lots of calories so sure it would help anybody.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    For me, the more restriction, the harder it is. I have lost over 40 lbs just focusing on eating a little less, moving more and high satiety foods like protein and fibrous veggies.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you're experiencing the pressure to drink, but I'm glad that your plan is working for you. Do you happen to be younger? I've noticed as I get older (I'm almost 40), my friends don't really care who is drinking and who isn't.

No its not really pressure, in England most social situation revolve around drinking.im 50 and for the first time in a long time im eating healthy and not having alcohol
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Totally lose weight when I stop drinking. Same reason. Snacking plus empty calories from the beer. I always go over my daily calorie goal.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options

I don't know that I want to eat 'less' when I have a drink in the evening. But a good glass of wine, sipped, can last long enough that I don't resort to crapfood to alleviate boredom. So, for me, it's a weight management tool.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I cut out drinking to commit to the discipline it takes to lose weight. Now I allow myself to drink cocktails at dinner on the weekends.. and I don't drink during the week..and that works for me now that I'm at goal.

However drinking every day.. happy hours.. fried bar food.. take out food on the way home or pizza ordered in .. and my drinking pals out there know how it goes.

• jhilkene
    jhilkene Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been on many sides of it.. tracking with alcohol and without, Not tracking with and without. I honestly feel my best tracking without the drinks. It really is a waste of calories that usually lead to more eating for me. Plus my body has to flush out the toxins, and I always feel worse because of that. I could make exceptions if there was an event or special day, but why bother if I feel better without?
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking (mostly....I do have one drink about every 3-4 months) and it has helped immensely, plus I don't have to track liquid calories as much because now all I drink is water all day and a coffee in the morning