Alcohol

Replies

• peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    My step mom is a former bartender and makes the best drinks. I have stopped drinking at home by myself (even if it was only a glass each night) and now only drink out with others.
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    I just got off a Sober September. I went from a drink or two a day to none for MOST of September. There were I think a total of three days I had at most three drinks and at least one drink for the month. My wallet fattened up by about $150-$200 and I slimmed down roughly 8 pounds. I didn't change much about my eating habits. I eat pretty healthy most days - but I did log and I tried to hit a step goal of 10000 steps daily.

My take away - I slept so much better. I spend more time in deep sleep than I had previously. My skin is clearer, I don't have snack attacks as much.

The hardest part for me wasn't kicking the alcohol so much, it was kicking the habit of pouring a drink once I got home or while I was making dinner. I combated this by substituting carbonated water (my drink of choice was always either a g&t or champagne - fizz was important). However I noticed in the last week or so - I don't even crave the water anymore.

I don't plan to stick to a sober October - but I also don't intend to go back to old habits. I'll have a drink or two if we go out - but I don't plan to drink at home. We'll see how that goes.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I just went home last night and suggested to my husband that we do a Sober October. He's game. We need to change our habits. Like other posters, I tend to pour something while I make dinner (I like to sip and leisurely cook), but then refill for dinner. Then probably something after dinner while we sit an read, watch something, etc. Time to step away from those calories...
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Yes, I now severely limit my drinking too. If I am traveling - sure, I’ll sample some local vin- but giving up the empty calories has saved my diet and vastly improved my skin. When I go out with friends, there is typically no 1 glass- it’s 3 and then food comes after. So now, I order club soda and I’m one of the few hydrating all night. Lol
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Like nearly everyone else, I also find it easier to watch my calories and lose weight by limiting alcohol. The bonus factor is then you become a very cheap date with lower tolerance and you are kind of forced to drink less (or throw up)!
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Ive never had the sugar cravings.

Im now into my fifth week and its getting easy.does mens skin impove?
  • YadaYadaYada64
    YadaYadaYada64 Posts: 50 Member
    I enjoy 3-4 beers a week (only 1-2 in an evening). I like Michelob Ultra at 95 cals, but anything that’s portion controlled (comes in single servings, not a pour) works for logging. If it’s Friday night and I only have 400 cals left, I can feel like I’m having a treat with a couple beers and some peel and eat shrimp! Not many other treats that take an hour to enjoy fit in that calorie budget.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,572 Member
    @holycrosser - As far as munchies, there are some foods I simply don't eat because they trigger cravings. Going without them for a while, the cravings eventually (over several weeks) went away. Now I don't eat those things because I don't want to be back dealing with the craving again.
  • Blythmag
    @holycrosser - As far as munchies, there are some foods I simply don't eat because they trigger cravings. Going without them for a while, the cravings eventually (over several weeks) went away. Now I don't eat those things because I don't want to be back dealing with the craving again.

I learn not to buy munchie food then i cant eat it.we have a 15yr old child so its difficult to not have treats around.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    I enjoy 3-4 beers a week (only 1-2 in an evening). I like Michelob Ultra at 95 cals, but anything that’s portion controlled (comes in single servings, not a pour) works for logging. If it’s Friday night and I only have 400 cals left, I can feel like I’m having a treat with a couple beers and some peel and eat shrimp! Not many other treats that take an hour to enjoy fit in that calorie budget.

I wish I ever had an extra 400 calories lying around on a Friday night!!!
  • hendrxfn
    hendrxfn Posts: 10 Member
    I cut the beer weekend binges and started juicing last week.....Im losing weight like a fiend!

Sleep is 100% better! I feel great already!

Problem is....I did this before for 7 months back in 2016...Lost 65 lbs.

Met my goals, then fell right back into beer-coholism.....Weight came back.,.

Renewed commitment.....stay tuned!

🙂
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited October 2018
    Ive never had the sugar cravings.

Im now into my fifth week and its getting easy.does mens skin impove?

Results are going to vary per person and my skin never changed while drinking (so no improvement) I also never had the sugar cravings either.

Here is a small section from the MFP Less Alcohol thread that shows what users reported:

Reported Benefits of Less or No Drinking: (Results may be incremental, and/or they may vary)
    • Improved sleep after 2,4,7,10,& 60 days
    • Improved skin/complexion after 10 days
    • Improved ease in weight loss. Not only from the savings of alcohol calories but some report making poor food choices after drinking.
    • Increased energy after as few as 2 days
    • Increase in other fun activities. Some have found that daily drinking became their main recreational activity and their world was decreased in size.
    • Increased productivity
    • Reduction of high blood pressure
    • Lower resting heart rate
    • Less Acid Reflux
    • Less Anxiety - sometimes just from less stress about drinking.
    • Significant financial savings
    • Better relationships with family
    • Periods of time when drinking alcohol doesn't even cross your mind

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10698343/less-alcohol-october-2018-one-day-at-a-time/p1
  • AKDiscer
    AKDiscer Posts: 31 Member
    I haven't quit it just to quit it. I LOVE my beer, whisky, and wine! However, I've been serious about leaning out so I limit myself quite a bit. I've had 3 drinks in the past month, a glass of wine and two beers, all on different nights. It's amazing how much more you enjoy it when it's that rare. Yes, I added them to MFP and my caloric intake :smile:
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Weight loss is a lot easier for me when I'm not drinking alcohol.
    Currently I'm only drinking socially (when I'm not driving) and that's been a great moderation for me.
  • Blythmag
    Weight loss is a lot easier for me when I'm not drinking alcohol.
    Currently I'm only drinking socially (when I'm not driving) and that's been a great moderation for me.

Everything in moderation is good.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    For the most part, yes, but not entirely. I might drink one cocktail a month now.
  • Blythmag
    Well i have continued the no alcohol policy and my next aim is the 27th oct when im die to attend a party.big test
  • Kereru44
    Kereru44 Posts: 28 Member
    There is a great app called sobertime that people can use to help stop drinking.