Weight gain

Options
Hello,

I have been exercising 3-4 times a week and watch what I eat. I am always about 400 under calorie intake, but it seems the more I exercise, the heavier I am on the scale. Not by much, but shouldn't it be the opposite? I'm I doing something wrong?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The more you exercise the more you retain water... not the same thing...

Why are you eating so far under your calorie goal?
  • rit1982
    rit1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am trying to stay away from carbs and sugar. I feel full with what I am eating. So I am trying to figure out if it's the fact that I am exercising more, or maybe not eating enough.
    Will that water weight come off?
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    rit1982 wrote: »
    I am trying to stay away from carbs and sugar. I feel full with what I am eating. So I am trying to figure out if it's the fact that I am exercising more, or maybe not eating enough.
    Will that water weight come off?

Eventually yes. Are you measuring all your food accurately using a food scale?
  • rit1982
    Options
    I am not using a scale. I also think that I might not be eating enough cause I am always about 450 under calorie.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am not using a scale. I also think that I might not be eating enough cause I am always about 450 under calorie.

eating too little wont stop you losing weight.

sounds like you're eating more than you think if you aren't weighing.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you aren't measuring properly (i.e., using a scale for solids, measuring cups/spoons for liquids) then you don't know how many calories you are eating. If you aren't losing weight over time, you are eating at maintenance. What you currently think is a 400-450 calorie deficit is maintenance for you. The solution is to eat less.
  • rit1982
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you aren't measuring properly (i.e., using a scale for solids, measuring cups/spoons for liquids) then you don't know how many calories you are eating. If you aren't losing weight over time, you are eating at maintenance. What you currently think is a 400-450 calorie deficit is maintenance for you. The solution is to eat less.
    There isn't much measuring that needs to be done, I eat a protein bar in the morning, a fruit for snack. If I eat cheese I get the pre-cut little ones so I see the grams. I weight my protein. But I will try to be more efficient in that sense as best I can.

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    do you have a cheat day? Maybe you are wiping out the deficit by the cheat day.
  • rit1982
    Options
    No, I don't have any cheat days. I noticed in the past when I attempted weight loss and had cheat days I was not successful. This time around I don't have any cheat days. That's why I find it really discouraging as I am trying the most I have and I am exercising all the time and some weeks I am heavier by .4-1 pound.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    jerzanka wrote: »
    If you excercise a lot you might be getting your muscles. Muscle is heavier than fat (simply compare 1kg meat to 1kg tard). You may loose your body fat but still see no progress on the scale (or even get heavier) but your circumference is getting smaller. So grab a tape measure and track your pants size :smile:

nope lb for lb they weight the same but muscle takes up less space than fat. 1 kg is still 1 kg. and fat loss to uscle gain is not a 1:1 ratio ,thats not the reason for the scale not to move.
  • rit1982
    Options
    when I go complete my day in fitness pal they say I am not eating enough, I have no idea what more to do
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have been exercising 3-4 times a week and watch what I eat. I am always about 400 under calorie intake, but it seems the more I exercise, the heavier I am on the scale. Not by much, but shouldn't it be the opposite? I'm I doing something wrong?

How much weight have you gained and over what period of time?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    when I go complete my day in fitness pal they say I am not eating enough, I have no idea what more to do

How long have you been doing this and how much are you trying to lose? Telling us your stats and maybe open your food diary so people can pinpoint the issues you may be having. And as everyone else has said, you are not eating too little to lose weight, you are probably eating more than you think.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Weigh everything and log religiously, no skipping, cheating or forgetting.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • rit1982
    Options
    I have lost 23 pounds in almost 2 months. I want to lose another 25
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Hello,

How much weight have you gained and over what period of time?

^Please don't skip this question. The advice I would give someone who's seen, for instance, 10 pounds gained over 10 weeks would be drastically different than someone who's gained 2 pounds over 1 week.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, you are doing great! Why are you eating 400 calories under MFPs goal? I suggest you set up MFP with your correct data and a 1 lb loss per week. MFP will give you the correct calorie goal including deficit. Follow this goal and, in fact, it is recommended to add back in about half of your exercise calories to fuel your workout energy.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    No, I don't have any cheat days. I noticed in the past when I attempted weight loss and had cheat days I was not successful. This time around I don't have any cheat days. That's why I find it really discouraging as I am trying the most I have and I am exercising all the time and some weeks I am heavier by .4-1 pound.

This sounds like normal scale weight fluctuations to me. Are you seeing your weight go up a little bit and then back down or is it a prolonged upward trend?

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I have lost 23 pounds in almost 2 months. I want to lose another 25

This is too fast for how much you have left. You are undereating. Have more patience and give it time, and eat a bit more.

If the scale fluctuations are going to bother you, I recommend using an app that smooths those lines. HappyScale, Libra, or Trendweight.