124»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I could never do keto or any other diet that restricts what I can eat. All of my success is based on calories in, calories out (down 47 lbs since March). I always feel kind of bad for my friends doing keto/fad diets. I’ve found it’s not necessary to lose weight. Eat what you want but in moderation! Choose a way of eating that is actually sustainable long term.

Technically all diets do CICO. My success is based on CICO too.

All diets restrict something too. Some diets restrict a little bit of everything; it sounds like that's what you do. I only restricted carbs - mainly sugar and grains- and did not restrict other foods at all. Some of my foods actually increased.
    KatieeM14 wrote: »
    I tried keto for a few months and while it did work, it’s not something I can see myself doing long term. A diet that tells me I’m not allowed to eat fruit isn’t a diet for me. I like my apples and oranges!

How much fruit one eats will vary. Some people use fruit for most of their carbs.

Technically speaking, most of the carbs I ate were fruits although most call them vegetables: peppers, cucumbers, squash, pumpkin, tomato, olives, coconut, avocado, nuts, berries, snap peas, etc.

But yes, most low carbers limit or avoid high carb fruits - usually dried fruits or tropical fruits.

Exactly how do you "do" CICO?

If you eat and live, you are consuming calories and using calories. Every diet "does" CICO.
  • hrafnkat
    hrafnkat Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    milowen wrote: »
    I've been doing keto with IF for just over 2 months. After the first 10 days, my A1C had dropped significantly (from over 10 to 6).

The A1C is a test that gives a reading for blood glucose levels averaged over 2 to 3 months. There's no way that anyone could change their A1C significantly in just 10 days - any results would include the prior 50-80 days in the calculation (in addition to those 10 days). It just isn't a large enough percentage of the total 2-3 month timespan to make much difference.

If your A1C changed that much, one of your blood tests had an error in it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    hrafnkat wrote: »
    milowen wrote: »
    I've been doing keto with IF for just over 2 months. After the first 10 days, my A1C had dropped significantly (from over 10 to 6).

The A1C is a test that gives a reading for blood glucose levels averaged over 2 to 3 months. There's no way that anyone could change their A1C significantly in just 10 days - any results would include the prior 50-80 days in the calculation (in addition to those 10 days). It just isn't a large enough percentage of the total 2-3 month timespan to make much difference.

That's possible too, but A1C is greatly influenced by your most recent meals. It is possible that it changed significantly in a couple of weeks, although that was quite a change.

Perhaps it was a blood glucose reading instead. A BG change that large in ten days would more common, for sure.
  • milowen
    milowen Posts: 40 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, that's true! I tend to write a lot so I made a unrealistic statement for brevity. My A1C was around 10.6 in late May. My doctor maxed me out on 3 blood sugar medications.
    I started keto/IF August 7th, 10 days prior to my next fasting bloodwork and my A1C was just over 6. My glucose levels were never over 95 even after meals, so I immediately dropped 2 medications (Onglyza and Actos) and 75% of Metformin.
    At this point, my numbers have rebounded a bit, but I haven't seen a glucose reading over 130. Previously, I went for years with none below that number.
    I'm hoping that when I get my next check in a month or so that I can eliminate the last of my diabetes and high blood pressure medication.
    So yes, even though I had a dramatic drop in blood glucose, my overall A1C was a trend that began with an increase in medication--and one that I think I've done a pretty awesome job of continuing :smile: 33lbs in 9 weeks and a whole new outlook on my future health.