Quitting Alcohol feels like quitting social life...

Options
I've always been a beer drinker.. for the last 15 years or so.

But the last 2 years it has ramped up a lot. Averaging 6-8 beers a day, often 8% IPA's. To me ... cutting back was drinking Coors for a week.

... I know I have to stop... I'm determined to stop ... but my SO drinks heavily ... all my friends drink heavily ... all the social events I go to involve tons of drinking ... and I feel frustrated and unable to escape.

Replies

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So, 6-8 beers, typically 8% ABV, per day is the equivalent of 10 drinks per day. That's some pretty heavy drinking.

It's quite possible there are people who drink that much and that frequently who are not alcoholics. I'd guess that's not exactly typical. Let's just say that if you drink that much and surround yourself with people who drink that much in environments where there is that much alcohol available, you may find quitting to be an even bigger challenge than you articulate in your post.

I wish you good luck.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    It's tough, but that's an AWESOME reward that you will deserve.

And... that little one that you've got in your arms deserves the best version of you that you've got :smile:
  • 73CL350
    73CL350 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thank you gwc
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    73CL350 wrote: »

Right now my plan is if I can:
    1) no alcohol for 6 months
    2) no out to eat lunches for 6 months
    and
    3) be 12.5% bodyfat by April 1'st

I'd point out that #3 is not a plan, it's a desired outcome. There *is* a difference.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Get involved in another group activity you enjoy or would like to try. like biking, running, hiking, jujitsu, etc. You will be do busy having fun with your new friends you'll have neither the time or desire to drink.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My last beer was a Bud long neck at the bowling alley bar on Holoman AFB NM on November 16, 1982.
    I missed the whole microbrew explosion. But I gained a life.
    Another plus? Going out to dinner costs a lot less.
    Most people that know me are glad I don't drink. :D
    My wife never saw me drink.
    My kids never saw me drink
    The list of reasons to stop drinking when you are aware it is an issue includes so may things that one gains. They far outweigh any perceived change in social life.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is not a "drunk" thing ... many will try to take act like you're an alcoholic because you enjoy drinking.

Hey.. I quit drinking as part of my weight loss journey. But, honestly, having drinks.. now that I'm at goal weight is wonderful. The real deal is... I had to stop drinking to lose my weight and I used the time to reassess my drinking patterns.

I realized, I just can't drink every single day and be fit and healthy. But, now that I'm at goal weight.. I can drink two to three times a week. I can live with that.

• hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    To be truthful, I was drinking 6 on the way home Mon-Fri and 12 on both Saturday and Sunday 30 Years ago and was earning a good living, married, buying a house, and raising kids. Living that dream felt (struggling for the right word) shallow. I'll never know where that life would have taken me because I found a better way. We are all children of our Father in heaven who wants to help all of us have joy and peace and love so much that He provided a Savior. Living in the light for 30 years has given me opportunities for personal growth I'd never imagined, genuine friends I can count on for absolutely anything, a practical moral framework for my now grown kids, and a depth of love and trust in marriage that I didn't even know existed back when. Message me if you want to know where to find the first step this direction.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Everything that has been f***ed up in my life if because of alcohol. From my mother's suicide during a drinking binge, being married to an "in denial" alcoholic for almost 40 years, having a brother that is hard to socialize with because he's a verbally abusive drunk, childhood memories of my parents and their life that was centered around alcohol. Fortunately, the good things in my life outweigh the bad and I've resisted the urge to drink to excess. I drink on occasion, never to excess because it scares me to think the potential is there for me to succumb and just become like them. I've certainly never been the "life of the party" and have turned away friendships with people that don't understand my desire to not drink. I've even had people try to spike my soda so I would "lighten up" a bit. @73CL350 It's hard to make that change to not drinking, but I hope you find the strength to do so, life is too short to waste it being drunk.