spaghetti squash

Options
2baninja
2baninja Posts: 511 Member
I'm looking for some ideas to eat spaghetti squash, I'm not looking for real recipes, (my idea of cooking is cutting up and baking a sweet potato).
But something to make it more tasty, I was eating it with sweet and sour sauce on it, and it tasted good, but after 4 days of eating it, I'd had enough.
I live alone, so a whole squash lasts me a little while, but after 4 days I was done...
So I'm hoping I can find other ways to eat it, other things I can put on it, something I can take to work with me.

Any ideas?
Thanks

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    How about spaghetti squash for breakfast?
    Spaghetti Squash Hash Browns
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/228541/spaghetti-squash-hash-browns/
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I put pasta sauce on it...delicious 😋
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    First I should say that I can only eat things for 2-3 days in a row before I get pissed off. So I'm not saying this is something you can eat everyday.

I was just having 3 days of sqwash spagetti mixed with normal spagetti for lunch (for me mixing them is very important). I boil the normal spagetti (30-40gr) in vegetable cube stock and add the butternut sqwash i.e. boodles (150gr) towards the end. I drain and then mix in some red pepper bruschetta sauce (75gr) (which I buy in a jar) and eat them with laughing cow triangles on the side (3 pieces). The whole portion comes to 350cal and is very satisfying for me.

I do the same with zoodles but the boodles are better. I cook them well so that they have only a little bite to them but not too much.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    Seffell wrote: »
    First I should say that I can only eat things for 2-3 days in a row before I get pissed off. So I'm not saying this is something you can eat everyday.

I was just having 3 days of sqwash spagetti mixed with normal spagetti for lunch (for me mixing them is very important). I boil the normal spagetti (30-40gr) in vegetable cube stock and add the butternut sqwash i.e. boodles (150gr) towards the end. I drain and then mix in some red pepper bruschetta sauce (75gr) (which I buy in a jar) and eat them with laughing cow triangles on the side (3 pieces). The whole portion comes to 350cal and is very satisfying for me.

I do the same with zoodles but the boodles are better. I cook them well so that they have only a little bite to them but not too much.

What is zoodles and boodles?

I'm trying to stay away from pasta, trying to drop from being pre diabetic, (that's why I'm aiming for the spag. sq.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    I put pasta sauce on it...delicious 😋

I'll try that, I tried it with parmesan cheese, ick... maybe with the sauce also.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    2baninja wrote: »

I'm trying to stay away from pasta, trying to drop from being pre diabetic, (that's why I'm aiming for the spag. sq.

Zoodles are called zucchini noodles and boodles are called butternut squash noodles.

You don't need to stay away from carbs if you are pre-diabetic (or even diabetic if it is type 2). Only need to stay at a calorie deficit to lose the extra weight. In any case 30gr spagetti is quite a little amount but adds the important taste.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-diet-advice.html

Read the above. NHS is the national health service in the UK (in case you're not from the UK and didn't know). Their advice is to eat pasta.

Please inform yourself from reputable sources because extreme and unnecessary restrictions might get you further from your health goals.

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, stevia, cinnamon, sea salt, sugar free maple syrup💪🏻👌🏻😍
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    A few days ago someone made me spaghetti squash with pasta sauce and grilled chicken breast. It was super good and I am usually not on board with vegetable-based "pasta."
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,862 Member
    Options
    chicken and alfredo sauce. yummy!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Such yummy suggestions!!!!
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    , sugar free maple syrup💪🏻👌🏻😍

Where do you find sugar free maple syrup? Maple syrup is the sap from a maple tree, there is no added sugar.

• OddDitty
    OddDitty Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some ideas to eat spaghetti squash, I'm not looking for real recipes, (my idea of cooking is cutting up and baking a sweet potato).
    But something to make it more tasty, I was eating it with sweet and sour sauce on it, and it tasted good, but after 4 days of eating it, I'd had enough.
    I live alone, so a whole squash lasts me a little while, but after 4 days I was done...
    So I'm hoping I can find other ways to eat it, other things I can put on it, something I can take to work with me.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

I know many people use it as a sub for regular spaghetti but my taste buds say nay. however ! I mix freshly cooked and drained sketti squash with chinese seasons and a little sesame oil and it subs beautifully for those glossy thin rice noodles. Mix with some chinese stir fry frozen and cook it up!
  • DoubleUbea
    edited October 2018
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Walden Farms or Joseph's - Sugar Free Syrup is what I use. Both great (for not being real).
    Wont they kick you out of Canada for not using real maple syrup?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Walden Farms or Joseph's - Sugar Free Syrup is what I use. Both great (for not being real).
    Wont they kick you out of Canada for not using real maple syrup?

At times I hope they did just that I sent me to where I can drink nice St. Lucian rum year round :)

move to florida! I have a rum distillery here about 30 miles away! lol no... don't really move to Flori-i-duhhh
  • jadadio
    jadadio Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I’ve been getting those giant jars of pesto from Costco for like $5 I think? It last a while but I just toss a big spoonful of it in and toss it with a protein like grilled chicken. It can be a little higher fat meal... so it’s not everyday but on days I can spare it. Other health food stores have some creative pesto flavors too beyond basil.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I make a spaghetti squash, add pizza sauce, pineapple, ham, and Italian seasonings - mix it all up and either microwave or put in the oven for a bit. To me, it’s like the flavors of a Hawaiian Pizza! However, I’m sure you could do with your fave pizza toppings - peppers and onions; pepperoni and sausage; meatballs and ricotta.... etc. just need the pizza sauce base and the Italian seasonings, then good to go!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try a little olive oil and pepper. Simples.

Eating single, I’d take half the cooked squash and stuff it in muffin tins (swirl them with a fork to make little nests) and freeze it. When solid, pop them out of the tins and store the single servings in a freezer bag.

I have silicone muffin tins so frozen foods pop right out.

Don’t risk hating a perfectly good food from tedium.
  • 2baninja
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Try a little olive oil and pepper. Simples.

Eating single, I’d take half the cooked squash and stuff it in muffin tins (swirl them with a fork to make little nests) and freeze it. When solid, pop them out of the tins and store the single servings in a freezer bag.

I have silicone muffin tins so frozen foods pop right out.

Don’t risk hating a perfectly good food from tedium.

Neat idea, 'coarse I'll have to buy tins....
  • 2baninja
    Options

Zoodles are called zucchini noodles and boodles are called butternut squash noodles.

You don't need to stay away from carbs if you are pre-diabetic (or even diabetic if it is type 2). Only need to stay at a calorie deficit to lose the extra weight. In any case 30gr spagetti is quite a little amount but adds the important taste.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/nhs-diet-advice.html

Read the above. NHS is the national health service in the UK (in case you're not from the UK and didn't know). Their advice is to eat pasta.

Please inform yourself from reputable sources because extreme and unnecessary restrictions might get you further from your health goals.

Don't worry, nothing extreme here, just trying to eat more fruits and veggys and less pasta/breads.
    I'll read up on the link though, thanks
  • jerryb56
    jerryb56 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We make a sauce with roasted red peppers, balsamic vinegar, garlic, basil, salt/pepper. Puree it and you're good to go.