Why can’t I change my habits?

Options
trynashrink
trynashrink Posts: 10 Member
edited October 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello, this whole year I’ve tried to lose weight so bad, I started off January real good but then I left it and I’ve gained weight like crazy, I feel disgusting, I hate everything about me especially my big arms. I used to love going out and now I hate it because I feel grossed out with my body

I tried to eat healthy the whole month and I just can’t, I always eat and eat junk food because I get anxious and sad and I’m sad because I’m fat so it’s a neverending cycle. Does anyone know how Can I start making a change? I’m honestly so done with being so fat and disgusting, and eating out of pure anxiety :(

Replies

• neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    For our family it starts with shopping - what and how much we buy. If it's not at home, not hiding in some kitchen cupboard, than it is not available, not tempting us. We make small changes - about once a week we sit down and look at our food and beverage consumption and try to come up with a healthier option. Usually we think about our meal plan for the next day and shop accordingly. Once in a while we treat ourselves with something special - but not with food and beverages. It can be something very basic - like a long walk on the beach, something to look forward to. It has taken years to gain all that weight, it will take a bit of time to lose it again.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I can only echo what people have said above.

The help for depression and anxiety should be your number one focus. Number two is that you want to lose weight: Right now that is more important than changing your diet. So look at the diet you have and start tracking it, and simply reduce your portion sizes. Once you are used to that you may be able to swap out an item for a healthier alternative. Once you're used to that pick another item to swap out.

I honestly believe that people fail dieting because they change their diet too much. Work with what you have and be kind to yourself. Your body and mind will thank you for it :smile:

Remember that losing weight sensibly is a slow process. But as they say: slow and steady wins the race.

• _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I was exactly like you before, and you know what works best for me? Nice cheat day once a month:) It keeps me going and motivates me to stick to my diet and workout routine through the whole month if I know there's Haagen Dazs and pizza waiting for me at the end of it ;)

Alos, take pics of your progress and measurements. I learnt the hard way that sometimes the weight goes down only slightly, but you will see a massive difference in pictures/measurements and that's a massive motivation to keep going
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Try something different.

You wrote that you tried to eat "healthy" but ended up eating "junk". Perhaps you made to drastic a change so change less. Keep eating "junk" but log of how much "junk" your eating so you're eating "junk" in a calorie deficit.

Of course your overall health will benefit more from better "healthier" foods but for weight loss all that matters calorie deficit so for now eat what you like to eat even if you do consider it "junk".

^^ this was my thoughts too - perhaps start off with small changes, cutting back on the so called junk food - I don't think of any food as being unhealthy, some are higher in nutrients, some are calorie dense so need to be kept to a minimum but its not that we have to cut anything out entirely.

Make a promise to yourself to make small changes bit by bit and stick with it - consistency pays off.

All the best.

~Ruth
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It takes trial and error to learn what works for you. Analyze the situation and see what needs work. For example, you've already mentioned anxiety. What steps can you try to handle that? What other challenges do you have? Don't just try to overhaul everything at once without a plan.

Maybe this will help you not blame yourself too much:
    https://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/why-its-hard-to-change-unhealthy-behavior-and-why-you-should-keep-trying

Failing is part of the process. It's essential for learning what works and what doesn't and helps you refine the process as you go. I know feeling gross may feel like something you can't control, but accepting the way you look right now will help you much more than ruminating. You don't need to like what you see, but you need to understand that negative feelings will not make you any thinner. Look forward to a smaller body in the future without focusing and hating on your current body.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I have a great deal of willpower. This is why I think it is best to avoid using it. When it comes to food I am not fighting against someone else where my willpower will be an advantage. I am fighting myself. On any given day my will to eat the things I enjoy may exceed my will to eat the classic diet food like grilled chicken and broccoli.

When I started (this time) I decided not to turn my back on all the things I enjoy eating. I decided, like @orphia suggests, to be kind to myself. If I have a bad day I have my permission to eat more because I don't have to lose weight each and every day I just have to lose weight MOST days.

As a lot of time has progressed and so has weight loss my habits have changed and it has gotten easier. While I deny myself nothing I don't really want things like Big Macs and whatnot most of the time. I want to get through the day not feeling hungry so if cashing out calories on big ticket items leaves me dissatisfied because I can't eat as much as normal days it isn't worth it to me. Will I eat another Big Mac in the future? Probably. When I crave one I will eat one and I will make it work. Things I used to thing tasted so great don't all measure up anymore though and things like broccoli actually taste better because they are more satisfying/satiating. That didn't keep me from having a double cheeseburger and a medium fry from McD 2 weeks ago though and I still have potato chips in my cabinet.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great advice you've already gotten-

Habit change isn't just deciding to change everything and then barreling in with no plan. It's easier to create a good habit than stop a bad one. It's easier to focus on doing/getting more of something than cutting something out.

Focus on one healthy food or habit you can ADD, like eating more fruit and veg, or taking a 5 minute walk when you are sad. Then determine small, easy steps to build to that. Pick ONE and make that your goal for the week. Don't deny yourself junk food or sitting on the couch. Nothing wrong with a bit of either. Instead let the good habits you are slowly building naturally push out the bad.

Also consider leaving reminders around to keep the good habits front of mind. Notes with positive messages, pretty pictures, stuffed animals, whatever.

And take some time to think about other ways to deal with stress or sadness. Saving a fave song on your phone, taking a walk, texting a friend, bookmark a webpage with puppy videos, etc.

Best of luck, hang in there!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Habit change by throwing out your old everything and trying on a whole different lifestyle is never going to work. Habit change can come smoothly, painlessly and incrementally if you have overall patience about the journey. Try a month of just adding a fruit or a vegetable to every meal or snack. After that start logging everything you eat, without changing your choices. In another month I am sure you will already have started to tweak things and identify foods that aren't really fitting with your long term goals. You'll be able to make choices easier because they aren't choices so much as preferences gradually. After a couple months of that, maybe you feel like being more active, so add a walk 2-3 times a week. Slow, steady, avoiding big changes and decisions, no rush, one thing at a time.
  • bosskaren
    bosskaren Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would recommend surrounding yourself with a health-minded community to find support. Start yoga, CrossFit, a running/walking club, even a neighbor that nightly walks their dog. These people have the same goals as you and can keep you on track and become your inspiration and support. I found this community after trying everything on my own and failing, then joining a CrossFit gym.

Also, make small goals and focus on what you've done. Did you get through a day without eating any junk food? Give yourself credit! The next day try it again! Positive reinforcement works.